IGNORED

KC Munchkin

Jaynz

Are the current sound effects considered final? If you listen to this back-to-back with the original version, the O2's sounds are clearly more complex.

Odyssey 2 version

7800 version

Also, while I generally like the new sprites, there's something spastic-looking about the animation as KC chomps around the maze. I think it's a combination of how the white teeth appear and disappear throughout the animation cycle (and how creepy it is that he even has teeth), how there's one frame where his eye changes shape, the huge jump from the partially-open frame to the full-open frame, and how the mouth goes into a smile when it's closed-- it makes the jaw flapping asymmetrical.

Basically, each sprite looks good taken on its own, but as part of an animation sequence, they don't flow into each other. Attached is a little proof-of-concept I knocked together for how the animation might be improved.

post-2663-0-85394300-1400894812.gif

post-2663-0-61256400-1400894823.png

Edited by ZylonBane

Dying, just dying for this! I would just loved a boxed copy as well as Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest.

I was an Odyssey 2 kid, and had a whole bunch of games for it. Just loved it, and KC Munchkin was a wonderful treat, even if we knew it to be a Pac Man ripoff at the time. It was different enough to be great fun (and kicked the living crap out of Atari 2600 Pac Man!). This is just wonderful nostalgia, as well as an amazing looking game Bob!!

Any thoughts of creating a version of UFO? :) That may have been my favorite Odyssey 2 game of all.

ProSystem - the only 7800 emulator out there

There are a few other options besides ProSystem...Including MESS. :)

A quick and easy startup guide for MESS is right here. ;)

Just download the KC.a78 file from this post and place it in the subfolder 'software\a7800'.

If you rather use ProSystem, while not completely missing sound (check under the file bar menu options that 'Mute' is not checked), there are some sounds missing as noted in this post. The last public release of the ProSystem emulator is several years old and evidently missing some key code pieces for better emulation of the 7800.

• Like 1

Prosystem is not 100% POKEY accurate.

On my latest project (doing the music for a reboot of Mario Bros.) I am using the POKEY hi pass filter. How it works is, the frequency value in channel 2 modulates the pitch you actually hear coming out of channel 0, this can be used to make really scratchy, tinny sounds.

But Prosystem is apparently having none of this. It doesn't work. :( It does work on MESS tho.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Awesome! Definitely going to purchase a copy next week.

Just wanted to let you know that after I sell out of the 50 copies I built for this release, copies may not be available again until I have enough 7800 carts to build another batch. Or I have new AtariAge shells made (a project I'm working on), whichever comes first. :)

..Al

• Like 1

I was generously given a copy of this game by none other than Bob himself at Free Play Florida (Thank you Bob!) Anyone who has been anticipating its release should just go buy it right now, for they will not be disappointed.

P.S. Is there any way that I can order a manual by itself? I think it would be a nice addition to my cart.

Edited by BalloonFighter

Just wanted to let you know that after I sell out of the 50 copies I built for this release, copies may not be available again until I have enough 7800 carts to build another batch. Or I have new AtariAge shells made (a project I'm working on), whichever comes first. :)

..Al

I hope u still have a copy left for me.....I need this....u will place my order by tommorow.....thanks

You're welcome! Just didn't want you to be surprised should they not be available to order, which is pretty likely in a few days. However, I do plan on making it available indefinitely once I'm not constrained by cart supplies, which is a bit of a pain right now.

..Al

Thanks brother...I love you guys...peace.:-)