IGNORED

KC Munchkin

Jaynz

Red, you are the man! Your sprite work never ceases to amaze. I'm just getting started on the 7800 and would love to work with you in the future!

Completely Agree. Bentley Bear wouldn't look anywhere near as nice without his wonderful artwork. :)

But back on topic, can't wait for this! :D

I made the 7800 a little sad today, learning about display lists (thanks for the code again, Bob, it's helping!) and making my screen act impolitely. I apologize that my time hasn't been free to pursue this as much as I want, though I'm promising myself to make more time in March to make this my primary computer project!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have to apologize to everyone for this one, my paying gigs have demanded a lot more of my time lately than I expected (and they, obviously, have priority), so I'm not going to be able to be the project lead on this one - as much as I otherwise want to. However, I'm not going to leave anyone in the lurch, so I've asked someone to take over if he can while I provide design help. Hopefully he'll be fine with this (I'll let him announce it if he is), and I think everyone will be pleased with the decision...

Thanks guys - it's far from done, though.

Thank you Jaynz for letting me take over this one. I started out trying to help him get started, but I kept thinking "how would we do X"? ...and then try and do it.

He's a good guy. We will both see how far we can get with this. I do plan on trying to include the maze editor though...

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7

Jaynz: Have you tried the new 7800Basic that RevEng came up with? It is AWESOME. It should be no problem doing a pac-man style game using that, I already have a project in the works myself.

I'm going to steal some free time this week to play with 7800 basic... I know better, at the moment, than to promise anything. I hope to do some conversions of my old CoCo games, though. :)

Thanks guys - it's far from done, though.

Thank you Jaynz for letting me take over this one. I started out trying to help him get started, but I kept thinking "how would we do X"? ...and then try and do it.

He's a good guy. We will both see how far we can get with this. I do plan on trying to include the maze editor though...

I figured out two possible ways to do the maze editor.

1) Use the keypad in the second slot to directly type in the coordinates, similar to how it's done on the O2.

2) Use the keypad as a 'cursor' and then use the buttons to swap horizontal or vertical toggles.

The keypad option could more easily allow you to hit a 'save' button to lock the maze information into the HSC, if it's available.

The other trick is the 'name save' information, which is done 'at will' on the O2 but causes interface nightmares on the 7800. An up/down scroll input at the beginning of a game may solve that one, though.

:)

Thanks guys.

The only issue I'm having currently is the movement of the dots. I have to check the four directions for walls *and* other dots before a movement can be made. I'm wondering if I'm over-thinking this.

KC Munchkin for the O2 is only 2K. I wish I could get the source for that just to see how they dealt with it :-/ I'm sure there is an easier way than how I am attempting it...

I'll keep you posted.

Bob

• Like 2

I'm going to steal some free time this week to play with 7800 basic... I know better, at the moment, than to promise anything. I hope to do some conversions of my old CoCo games, though. :)

I know someone who would be extremely excited about this. Cough...Cough... Atarileaf...Cough Hehe

• Like 1

The only issue I'm having currently is the movement of the dots. I have to check the four directions for walls *and* other dots before a movement can be made. I'm wondering if I'm over-thinking this.

The dots should only check for walls for the legitimate when they're in the center of each square, similar to how KC and the Munchies each move.

The dots will check for a 'bounce' collision against one-another and on the maze edges. They can bounce at any part of the square.

Basically:

proc DotMove {
   if (X[Dot] % Tile == 0) && (Y[Dot] % Tile == 0) {
      ChooseDirection(Dot); // Pick random direction where there isn't a wall
   };
   for (I=0:11) if (Dot != I) {
      // For loop lookup, skipping the current dot
      if (DX[Dot] + X[Dot] = X[i]) && (DY[Dot] + Y[Dot] = Y[i]) {
      DX[Dot] = -DX[Dot]; DY[Dot] = -DY[Dot];
   };
   // Move Dot
   X[Dot] += DX[Dot];
   Y[Dot] += DY[Dot];
   // Note, DX/DY will have the same 'speed' for every dot, but set at either positive, negative, or zero.
   // Speeds should be some /even/ measure of the Tile size. Basically breaks down to speeds 1, 2, 4 (KC speed)
}
Edited by Jaynz

Thanks Jaynz - I knew about the center thing, that's how I'm checking everything. I was more thinking about the order of checking and if there was a 'quick' algorithm for doing it all at once.

I did forget, however, that the dots check do not only check at the intervals...

Bob

If the dots only checked at the center for collision it would be really easy - just mark their 'tiles' as wall-filled and reflect. Unfortunately, going through the game play and youtube, they can hit and bounce anywhere within the square. You could unroll the inner loop check by flagging if the dot has already bounced, but I'm not sure how much that would really save in processing power. (It wouldn't run the inner loop if it's already marked 'bounced', but there you would only gain if bouncing had occurred, which is the rarer event. We need to cut something out of the loop if it's CLEAR, unfortunately.) The main issue is that it has to do this 121 times each movement, and I'm not sure if that's taxing the 7800 or not.

Big Important Note Follows:

Checking again, the dots don't actually bounce from one-another, but if that next TILE has a dot in it at all. So instead of checking for other dot positions, it just checks to see if that tile is filled. That's a little easier and can get done with three arrays of 12 (one to mark the tile filled), (one to check the bounce), (one to clear the fill), rather than iterating the collision check.

Edited by Jaynz