IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Cosmic Swarm - 5 min.
Death Trap - 164 min.
Pole Position - 2 min.
NES:
Dragon Power - 5 min.
Nuts & Milk - 19 min.
Time Lord - 16 min.
Game Boy:
Chessmaster - 796 min.
SNES:
Dirt Racer - 5 min.
Sega CD:
Jeopardy! - 45 min.
Dreamcast:
Gauntlet Legends - 267 min.
Beat Chessmaster for Game Boy this week, defeating the computer on difficulty levels 2-9 before jumping to the highest playable level (13), all with the Black pieces. There's a replayable GIF of the game here. Obviously most of my gameplay time was spent waiting for the CPU to move, and the computer tended to repeat the same moves, lines, and ideas -- the first 20-odd moves of my winning Level 13 game were exactly the same as my Level 9 game, and by that point the CPU was dead lost.
I also beat Jeopardy for Sega CD, and won by a pretty solid margin, since I was able to get over twice as much money as my nearest CPU opponent before Final Jeopardy. That was especially fortunate since I didn't know the correct response to the Final Jeopardy clue, but the CPU opponents only wagered 50% of their available score anyway.
Prompted by last week's list of unplayed games, I tried out Death Trap for Atari VCS, and ended up finding it rather addictive. At first it seems like an unplayable version of Phoenix crossed with Star Castle, but once you cotton on to the subtle strategy required to keep your enemy's shielding to a minimum, it gains a lot of depth. I beat Easy and Medium, but Hard is far nastier, and unfortunately the constant enemy fire takes away some of the fun. Still, I plan to keep trying and take down one of the few VCS games that can be beaten outright.
Otherwise I fired up a couple new acquisitions for the VCS, finally got to play PAL-exclusive Dirt Racer on my SNES thanks to another new acquisition (a Pro Action Replay MK2), toyed with a few NES games I've played in the past, and made major progress in Gauntlet Legends on Very Hard difficulty with my wife.
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 34, running from August 18 - 24. We logged 3642 minutes of eligible play, playing 35 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Chessmaster, The (Game Boy) - 796

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 513

3. Mouse Trap (ColecoVision) - 310

4. Gauntlet Legends (Dreamcast) - 267

5. Tombstone City (TI-99) - 256

6. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PlayStation) - 214

7. Swamp Thing (NES/Famicom) - 180

8. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 164

9. Frenzy/Berzerk (Atari 7800) - 98

10. JetPack! (ColecoVision) - 80

10. Lock N Chase (ColecoVision) - 80

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 513

2. Mouse Trap (ColecoVision) - 310

3. Tombstone City (TI-99) - 256

4. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 164

5. Frenzy/Berzerk (Atari 7800) - 98

6. JetPack! (ColecoVision) - 80

6. Lock N Chase (ColecoVision) - 80

8. Kangaroo (Arcade) - 68

8. Food Fight (Atari 7800) - 68

10. Dolphin (Atari 2600) - 58

Top 10 systems:

1. Game Boy (841)

2. Atari 2600 (770)

3. ColecoVision (470)

4. NES/Famicom (355)

5. TI-99 (299)

6. PlayStation (272)

7. Dreamcast (267)

8. Atari 7800 (186)

9. Arcade (68)

10. Sega CD (45)

One suspects that this week's champion will be a one-hit wonder but -- at least for a week -- it's still #1 on the charts, as the Game Boy port of The Chessmaster rules the roost. Meanwhile there are seven different systems in the Top 7 of the main charts, which is always nice to see.

• Like 5

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 513

2. Mouse Trap (ColecoVision) - 310

3. Tombstone City (TI-99) - 256

4. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 164

5. Frenzy/Berzerk (Atari 7800) - 98

6. JetPack! (ColecoVision) - 80

6. Lock N Chase (ColecoVision) - 80

8. Kangaroo (Arcade) - 68

8. Food Fight (Atari 7800) - 68

10. Dolphin (Atari 2600) - 58

You missed #7 & 9 ;)

Edited by Iwantgames:)
  • Like 1

Channel F:

Blackjack - 6 min,

Pac-Man - 13 min.

Another week of nearly no vintage gaming, but this week I enjoyed all 40" LCD action from the Channel F, a rather mighty experience, in particular Pac-Man which covers all of the display and more, to the point that no viewing mode on the TV can display it entirely...

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Dolphin: 6 min

River Raid 2: 5 min

Snail against Squirrel (Bit Corp): 11 min

Sky Jinks: 3 min

Love those Bitcorp games. In a weird way. Let me read from the manual of Snail against Squirrel:

"But why in the world that greedy snail is always hiding somewhere to rub off my nuts just like those highwayman"

Kinky.

SNES

Super Adventure Island: 10 min

Super Aleste: 17 min

Super Aleste is a fine vertical shooter. I stumbled across a japanese Super Famicom cart and the name rang a bell. I got a decent deal on it and don't regret it.

PC

Baldur's Gate: 40 min

Yeah. I had THAT much time to get something done. In Baldur's Gate terms, that's traveling to one major battle, fight that battle, thn return and rest. At that pace, this is gonna be a life's work.

Philips G7000

Pinball (24): 6 min

Air-Sea War/Battle (4): 9 min

This console is really growing on me. It's basically the most primitive technology that still yields playable results. Pong consoles not counted.

• Like 2

Got me an expansion bay for my TI-99 with a few floppy's so spent a little time playing around with it need an extended basic cart for some of the games so I got one ordered :) then I played some Xbox (first time I ever played a metal slug game) and continued my adventure in Dragons Blade II on my win phone.

TI-99 -

Civil war - 15min

For a simple text based historical education game this is actually pretty fun :) I ended up losing to the Union after a long and bloody war (14 battles lol) in which I somehow managed to win 5 battles but the 9 I lost I almost always suffered more casualties than the real battles had :P

Close Encounters of the Simon Kind - 5min

Try and match the color the alien ship displays for as long as possible to get high score

Flack Attack - 30min

I kinda suck at this, but it's a fun little game :) time your missile shot just right to shoot down jets before they laser you

Match-Em - 5min

Simple memory game made slightly harder by not removing matched pairs

Swamp - 5min

Played this just to see what it was, not really my thing. Just gotta try to exit the swamp without getting ate but you can't see the gators so it's basically just luck.

Ten Up - 10min

Simple text based card game. Try to put 10 cards in order low to high using a 50 card deck.

Non qualifying times

Win7 phone -

Dragons Blade II - 90min

Continued my quest to rescue my sister from the mysterious forces of evil :)

Dungeon Stalker - 65min

Good old school first person dungeon crawler :) but I hate that the goblin merchant on each floor runs around all over the place lol, I need to sell stuff can never find the little bugger :P

Xbox -

Metal Slug 4 - 60min

Finished the game :) only took 68 continues :lol: that's roughly $17 in quarters if I was to play it in the arcade :P

Darkwatch - 30min

Got this in my most recent Xbox lot even tho I was told it wouldn't load. Decided to give it a shot :) and it works flawlessly! Awesome FPS definitely glad I took a chance on it :)

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (August 25th through 31st)...

TI-99:

Arrier Hattrick - 5 min.

The Attack - 55 min.

Tombstone City - 94 min. in 2 sessions

I continued to play Tombstone City and The Attack, but at both games I reached a point where the game doesn't seem to get harder anymore, so I gave up on them. I got so good at Tombstone City, actually, that I just shut it off after an hour because I didn't lose more lives than I gained every round.

The playing of Arrier Hattrick already occured last week, but I forgot to post it, maybe because of one important detail:

Arrier Hattrick is a previously unreleased game I wrote myself in Extended Basic back in 1985. It's based on "Harrier Attack", a game which appeared on, among other systems, the Amstrad CPC and seemed to be one of its launch titles, distributed by Amsoft. I saw this game on the CPC of a classmate, and it was so bad in my eyes that I thought I could do this on the TI-99 in XBasic, so I tried. The game ended up being a bit of a parody of "Harrier Attack" however... it's still slower than the CPC version and, actually, pretty dumb. But it's somewhat playable and doesn't crash. In the game, you start from your carrier, then you fly over a city, and then over land where there are some tanks you can shoot. At the end you land on your carrier again. Although it's still heavily watered down from the already not so great original version, I managed to include some details like the harbor appearing before you land again, and the fact that on the ship you land on, there's another harrier on the right. Just look at this video from the CPC version...

The parody is in the name and in the title screen. According to the title screen, the game is by "Tramsoft", parodying "Amsoft"... and the name has been changed from "Harrier Attack" to "Arrier Hattrick". Originally I was going to name it "Arrier Hattack", just shifting the H from the 1st to the 2nd word, but then you have a name consisting of 2 words that are actually non-words, so I replaced "Hattack" by the similar sounding "Hattrick". But I still don't know what an "Arrier" is supposed to be, other than a Harrier which lost the H. ;-)

So you that don't accuse me playing random unreleased games, I've attached a TI-99 disk image for you to check out. It contains Arrier Hattrick (by the name of "ARRIER") as well as some other games which I won't go into here in detail. However, some other definitely playable games on this disk, which I all wrote, include "KHAFKA" (Caverns of Khafka), "KU-BERT" (Q*bert), "KUNG-FU" (fighting game), and "ROADFIGHT" (Road Fighter with music taken from GP World... yes, I know there's a better version out there meanwhile). "TI-SHOP" would also be playable, but it's a text-based game in German. All games are meant to be loaded under Extended Basic. And there's more on the disk to discover, I'm just unsure of the other files what they are or if they crash or not.

By the way, the reason why I played this game, as well as the first session of "Tombstone City" last week, was to sample the music of the game which I adapted from a song by Rainhard Fendrich called "Haben Sie Wien schon bei Nacht gesehen?" ("Have you already seen Vienna by night?"). To that exent, it turns night as you fly over the city, and the music plays while flying over the city, and repeats at the end in a slightly different way.

DATA_PROG09.zip

• Like 2

MY WEEK - August 25th-31st:

Atari 2600:

1) Demon Attack - 165 minutes

2) Donkey Kong Junior - 10 minutes

3) Robot Tank - 13 minutes (2600 NEW HSC Season 3, Week 27)

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) Demon Attack - Games 1BB and 1AA

2) Demon Attack - Game 3BB - 418,345 points (Fixed Version - this game continues after the completion of Wave 84)

(Emulation paused at 39:44 just to show clearly the moment Wave 85 is opened, and prove it's the fixed version)

3) Robot Tank - Game 1BB - 44 tanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTFnnnjmCzw

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2

Atari 2600:

Death Trap - 92 min.

NES:

Big Nose Freaks Out - 5 min.

Mighty Bomb Jack - 26 min.

Genesis:

Bill's Tomato Game - 5 min.

Jennifer Capriati Tennis - 128 min.

Game Boy:

The New Chessmaster - 18 min.

3DO:

Flashback - 57 min.

Trip'd - 30 min.

32X:

Tempo - 64 min.

Dreamcast:

Gauntlet Legends - 426 min.

Beat Death Trap and Gauntlet Legends this week, the latter with my wife, on their hardest difficulty settings. Thoughts on Death Trap here, along with Chessmaster for Game Boy and Jeopardy for Sega CD.

I hoped to beat Jennifer Capriati Tennis this week as well, i.e. to beat the harder difficulty mode unlocked with the "GRAND.SLAM" password, which requires 12 single-set match wins across 4 events to complete. But after beating the first 10 opponents with relative ease, I ran into an adversary who was the typical CPU nightmare opponent -- very fast, gets every ball back, can't be overpowered, etc. -- and lost 6-1. No doubt there's a tactic to beat her, but it was pretty infuriating, and bad luck too since this game doesn't have progressive difficulty AFAIK.

Otherwise I nosed around in Tempo, Flashback, and Mighty Bomb Jack, and won a game with Black on Level 1 of The New Chessmaster for Game Boy. It seems pretty similar to the old Chessmaster, all told -- but at least it doesn't play into the exact same line that the first game did, time after time.

• Like 4

Dunno if its too late, but here are my times..

Gameboy

Toxic Crusaders - 60 minutes

Also, it is kind of unclear to me, about modern console collections of classic games.. I have read some of the previous posts, but I am still ignorant.. So if these times don't count, just omit them.. Thanks!

Midway Arcade Origins - PS3

Smash TV - 120 Minutes

Total Carnage - 150 minutes

Gauntlet - 200 minutes

Gauntlet 2 - 60 minutes

Defender 2 - 20 minutes

• Like 2

Also, it is kind of unclear to me, about modern console collections of classic games.. I have read some of the previous posts, but I am still ignorant.. So if these times don't count, just omit them.. Thanks!

Looks like emulation to me, so they count! It's when the games are re-programmed or otherwise updated that they don't count (if they're on a post-Dreamcast system, at least).

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 35, running from August 25 - 31. We logged 2527 minutes of eligible play, playing 44 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Gauntlet Legends (Dreamcast) - 426

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 414

3. Gauntlet (Arcade) - 200

4. Demon Attack (Atari 2600) - 165

5. Total Carnage (Arcade) - 150

6. Jennifer Capriati Tennis (Genesis) - 128

7. Smash TV (Arcade) - 120

8. Tombstone City (TI-99/4A) - 94

9. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 92

10. Tempo (Sega 32X) - 64

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 414

2. Demon Attack (Atari 2600) - 165

3. Tombstone City (TI-99/4A) - 94

4. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 92

5. Attack, The (TI-99/4A) - 55

6. Alleycat (Atari 8-bit) - 45

7. Barnstorming (Atari 2600) - 30

7. Grand Prix (Atari 2600) - 30

7. Flack Attack (TI-99/4A) - 30

10. Defender II: Stargate (Arcade) - 20

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (779)

2. Arcade (550)

3. Dreamcast (426)

4. TI-99/4A (224)

5. Genesis (133)

6. 3DO (87)

7. Game Boy (78)

8. Sega 32X (64)

9. Atari 8-bit (45)

10. PC (Windows 95/98) (40)

Warrior may sometimes need food badly, but the Dreamcast version of Gauntlet Legends is well-nourished indeed. It edges out Kaboom for the #1 spot on the individual charts, though Kaboom -- and Ye Olde VCS -- do take the other two categories. And of course, let's not overlook the arcade version of Gauntlet at #3!

The Dreamcast game also lays claim to #36 on the all-time charts with 1913 minutes to date, but the Nintendo 64 version of Gauntlet Legends still ranks a bit higher, at #30 with 2060 minutes.

• Like 4

Just got some new TI-99 games and a Atari to TI joystick adapter, so played a bunch of TI stuff :) still got a few more games coming.

Also still working on Darkwatch for Xbox.

TI-99 -

Ambulance - 10min

I make it to second part of the city but crash and burn trying to get a patient to the ER lol

Barrage - 35min

Super fun missile command clone :) almost made it to 300,000 points (288,590)

Breakout - 5min

Wish it had joystick support :(

Clowns - 10min

Reminds me of Circus Atari :)

Cross Fire - 10min

Driving Demon - 5min

I suck at this one :lol:

E.T. - 5min

Basic frogger clone with et graphics

Hangman - 5min

Basic word guessing game enhanced by the the TI's speech synth :)

Henhouse - 15min

A wolf ate my hens :(

Henpecked - 10min

Fun Joust clone :)

Ms. Pacman - 20min

Well done port

Munch Man - 10min

Munch Mobile - 5min

Not really sure what's going on lol, need a manual

Parsec - 10min

Slymoids - 25min

Fun frantic shootem up :)

Sneggit - 10min

Help the chicken get the bugs before the snake :-]

TI Invaders - 5min

Tic Tac Toe - 10min

Played a few rounds, all ending in ties except the last one which I won :)

Video Vegas - 20min

I was up to $160 at one point but lost at all :/ good thing it not real $$ ;)

Non Qualifying Times

Xbox -

Dark Watch - 95min

Edited by Iwantgames:)
  • Like 2

Atari 2600:

Dig Dug - 2 min.

Colecovision:

Mouse Trap - 2 min.

Venture - 2 min.

Creativision:

Astro Pinball - 4 min.

Chopper Rescue - 18 min.

Locomotive - 4 min.

Sega Master System:

Hang On - 2 min.

SNES:

Tetris - 2 min.

VIC-20:

Clowns - 10 min.

Topper - 10 min.

Videomania - 9 min.

Quite a bit of play testing systems this week, thus several systems with very few minutes on each.

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Dragonfire: 4 min

Robot Tank: 15 min

Master System

Bank Panic: 7 min

Rocky: 4 min

Mega Drive

Ball Jacks: 4 min

Klax: 20 min

Philips G7000

Depth Charge (16): 2 min

Logic (2): 3 min

Marksman (16): 3 min

Memory (2): 3 min

Space Rendezvous (2): 4 min

Both Atari games were all that I was able to squeeze in for the HSC. The rest is mainly testing. As for the Philips games: I put the game number of the cart in brackets, but I have no idea if the english titles of the games are in any way similar to their Odyssey brothers on the other side of the pond.

• Like 2