IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

My times for the week:

Intellivision:
Super Pro Tennis - 40 min.
NES:
Exodus - 165 min.
Atari Jaguar:
Hover Strike - 394 min.
Sega 32X:
Spider-Man: Web of Fire - 48 min.
Toughman Contest - 281 min.
Dreamcast:
Wacky Races - 125 min.
At the start of the week I finished Hover Strike on Easy, at which point it informed me that I needed to try a harder difficulty level. No worries, that was my plan anyway -- but I'll probably give it a little while yet, as I'm a bit sick of the game. Even so, that was the first Jaguar game I've ever played through!
Later in the week I fired up Toughman Contest and -- after a couple exhibition matches -- made it all the way to the world title match without a single loss, just by spamming the Popeye Punch move over and over again. However, the world #1, Radinski, proved much trickier, and it took me a while to get his number. Once I finally beat him, I had an unpleasant surprise: I had to immediately fight Butterbean, the game's real boss. And just like in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, I get knocked back to the previous opponent if I lose to Butterbean...which I did.
At least I have a password to go straight to Radinski (also just like in Punch-Out). Still, despite practicing on an emulator with some success, I haven't had any luck in the four or five matches I've played against Butterbean on real hardware so far.
Otherwise I beat five more levels in Exodus; won a match 6-3 against the computer on Beginner level in Super Pro Tennis (and lost a pair of matches at higher difficulties, both by a score of 6-1); played a few levels of 32X Spider-Man, whereupon the game crashed; and earned my 21st gold star and a few spanners in Wacky Races, including a hard-fought victory over inveterate cheater Dirk Dastardly in a one-on-one race.
  • Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 9, running from February 24 - March 2. We logged 3038 minutes of eligible play, playing 75 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Hover Strike (Atari Jaguar) - 394

2. Toughman Contest (Sega 32X) - 281

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 224

4. Card Sharks (C64) - 220

5. Exodus (NES/Famicom) - 165

6. Wacky Races (Dreamcast) - 125

6. Tetris (Tengen) (NES/Famicom) - 125

8. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 106

9. Venture (Atari 8-bit) - 90

10. Blueprint (Atari 5200) - 60

10. Hard Drivin' (Atari Lynx) - 60

10. Robotron: 2084 (Atari Lynx) - 60

10. Flappy Bird (C64) - 60

10. Temple of Apshai (C64) - 60

10. Ivan Stewart's Off-Road Racing (NES/Famicom) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 224

2. Card Sharks (C64) - 220

3. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 106

4. Venture (Atari 8-bit) - 90

5. Blueprint (Atari 5200) - 60

5. Flappy Bird (C64) - 60

5. Temple of Apshai (C64) - 60

8. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 57

9. Chack'n Pop (ColecoVision) - 45

10. Super Pro Tennis (Intellivision) - 40

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (570)

2. C64 (401)

3. Atari Jaguar (394)

4. Sega 32X (329)

5. Atari 2600 (320)

6. Atari 8-bit (170)

7. Dreamcast (125)

8. Atari Lynx (120)

9. TI-99 (106)

10. VIC-20 (90)

Three charts, three different platforms at the top! The Jaguar takes the individual #1 with Hover Strike, and the NES is our top system this week...

...but the real news is at the top of the pre-NES charts, where an old favorite reigns supreme, and Atarian7's accomplishment is official: he has now officially played over 100,000 minutes of Larry Kaplan's creation on the VCS. That's one earth-shattering (or moon-shattering?) Kaboom!

• Like 5

I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention some times which still belong to the previous week (February 24th through March 2nd)... if that week is already closed, please add them to the current week instead, but I don't think they affect the charts anyway...

Philips G-7000 / Odyssey^2:

Q*bert - 26 min.

Crazy Chase - 12 min.

Skiing - 5 min.

The titles are the English names as printed on the actual carts... I know the US releases may have different names.

One last bit of skiing there, along with some snake- and worm-biting action.

• Like 4

I've had this week off from work, and so I've been playing a lot of 'Military Madness' on my TurboGrafx.

Great turn-based strategy game, it's essentially a pre-cursor to Advance Wars - think "Advance Wars on the Moon".

I figure I must have put maybe 6 hours into it the last couple of days - say 360 minutes.

• Like 4

Atari 2600

Defender: 15 min

Phoenix: 105 min

Wall Defender: 18 min

High Score Club all over. Gosh, I love Phoenix.

C64

Battle Ships: 35 min

Card Sharks: 108 min

Kaiser: 37 min

"Strategy" seems to be the motto for the week. Finally won the table at Card Sharks. Gorbi was the last one to wear down. He does play quite predictable most of the time, but you still got to be patient. So often, you have to be careful and fold, only to say "You played the damn board AGAIN?".

Game Boy Classic

Battleship: 72 min

Gargoyle's Quest: 28 min

Not much to say. One time killer for bus and train travel and for the times when my missus watches soap operas :-). And one superhard platformer that still refuses to let me get through level 2.

Nintendo 64

Banjo Kazooie: 14 min

Just testing stuff. I brought an N64 to my parents' place, so my nephew can fiddle around with it.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (March 3rd through 9th)...

Commodore 16 / Plus/4:

Pengo - 12 min.

Space Pilot - 33 min.

Yie ar Kung Fu - 2 min.

NES:

Monster Truck Rally - 10 min.

PC (non-eligible):

Birdyworld - 289 min. in 2 sessions

TI-99:

Flappy Bird - 9 min.

I started off the week with continuing to play Birdyworld, until I completed mapping of the first dungeon, which is pretty complicated, partly due to the fact that you couldn't, basically, develop multiple rooms together, only one after each other, and they were done by different people. Also, eventually the dungeon was closed off without further modifications being possible, resulting in many dead-ends where the screen creator maybe planned a continuation.

Then I tried Monster Truck Rally on the NES, which basically is the same game as Stadium Mud Buggies on the Intellivision... and also by the same team, which also did the similar games Motocross on the Intellivision and Racing Destruction Set on the Commodore 64. In all of those, you race on a 3D isometric course made up of tiles, including jumps, obstacles and whatnot, and on most versions you can edit the track you're racing on... there's a complex editor on Racing Destruction Set which also allows forks and crossings, and a simpler editor used on Intellivision Motocross and NES Monster Truck Rally, although on Intellivision Stadium Mud Buggies, there seems to be no editor, which I think is due to the limited Intellivision RAM being unable to hold a self-created 16x16 tiles track.

Then I tried some Commodore 16 games which, due to memory constraints, have been severely watered down compared to their original versions, similar to what was done to most Atari 2600 versions. Space Pilot (an inofficial port of Time Pilot) is missing the clouds, the parachuters, the warp effect and some of the enemies, and Yie Ar Kung Fu has only one background and choppy motion. Pengo is fairly close to the arcade, but suffers from the fact that after you die, the snow-bees continue in the place they were before, while they are somewhat reset in the original arcade version. Their AI, however, seems to be close as well since they often seem to avoid being hit by an ice cube, as they do in the arcade.

Finally, the TI-99 now got a version of Flappy Bird, beautifully made by TI-99 artist Rasmus. This is a fairly simple game, and the actual reason why I played it for so long was the music, which is Flight of the Bumble Bee lifted from the game "The mine" which again lifted it from an XBasic program by Sam Moore Jr.

• Like 4

First post!!

Mostly newer gen stuff, but here are the eligible numbers.

SNES:

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers - 45 minutes

Playstation:

Ehrgeiz - 60 minutes

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - 30 minutes

Super Gem Fighter - 15 minutes

• Like 5

My times for the week:

TI-99/4A:

A-maze-ing - 4 min.

Bigfoot - 11 min.

Munchmobile - 8 min.

NES:

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - 30 min.

Racket Attack - 92 min.

Game Boy:

Fish Dude - 71 min.

SNES:

Drift King: Shutoko Battle '94 - 2 min.

Hit the Ice - 2 min.

No Escape - 10 min.

Super Battleship - 16 min.

WarpSpeed - 99 min.

3DO:

Gakkou no Kowai Usawa: Hanako-san ga Kite!! - 10 min.

Dreamcast:

Wacky Races - 643 min.

As often happens, I ended up putting a ton of time into Wacky Races once I could sense the finish line was getting close, and beat it over the first half of the week. The game doesn't seem to have a proper ending, but I got all 40 stars, 15 spanners, and unlocked all three vehicles, so I'm calling this one done. Thoughts on the game here.

Then tonight, I beat the Shark! Shark! clone Fish Dude while watching TV with my other half. It's pretty trivial (as you can see by my total gameplay time) but mildly entertaining.

I also tested out new acquisitions per usual, including a few games for the TI-99. I was befuddled by Munchmobile's lethargic pace, but realized afterward that I'd grabbed the wrong TAC-2 -- I have one where Up doesn't work -- so I'm guessing you actually can accelerate in that game! Less clear to me was Bigfoot, where I was able to get all the gold but couldn't figure out how to end the level, though now I see you just toss from the right side of the top platform (I was trying it from the middle) Too bad I couldn't get the joystick to work with that one -- the keyboard's a major hassle -- but it's got some amusing speech synthesis.

Otherwise I played through part of Punch-Out with savestates to refresh my memory about something in the game; won two more matches in Racket Attack, both in straight sets; and tried the SNES versions of several games I've recently beaten on the Genesis, including space shooter WarpSpeed, which seems significantly easier on the SNES -- I was able to breeze through several missions in a row.

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 10, running from March 3 - 9. We logged 3695 minutes of eligible play, playing 67 games on a total of 20 systems.

Top 10:

1. Wacky Races (Dreamcast) - 643

2. Phoenix (Atari 2600) - 390

3. Military Madness (TG-16/PC Engine) - 360

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 313

5. Robotron: 2084 (Atari Lynx) - 210

6. Ivan Stewart's Off-Road Racing (NES/Famicom) - 180

7. Card Sharks (C64) - 108

8. WarpSpeed (SNES) - 99

9. Racket Attack (NES/Famicom) - 92

10. Battleship (Game Boy) - 72

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Phoenix (Atari 2600) - 390

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 313

3. Card Sharks (C64) - 108

4. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 69

5. River Raid (Atari 8-bit) - 45

6. Koffi: Yellow Copter (Atari 5200) - 40

7. Kaiser (C64) - 37

8. Battle Ships (C64) - 35

9. Space Pilot (Commodore 16 & Plus/4) - 33

10. Defender (Atari 2600) - 30

10. Gyruss (Atari 8-bit) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (751)

2. Dreamcast (643)

3. NES/Famicom (447)

4. TG-16/PC Engine (360)

5. C64 (295)

6. Atari Lynx (210)

7. SNES (204)

8. Atari 8-bit (179)

9. Game Boy (171)

10. PlayStation (105)

In a strong week for the tracker, Wacky Races zooms to the top of the charts, taking the #1 spot and bounding into the 1000-minute club. (With a total of 1,405 minutes logged to date, that puts it at #63 all-time if my math is correct.)

But on the pre-NES and system charts, the Atari 2600 holds sway, led by that beloved pair of vertical vanquishers, Phoenix and Kaboom. Also seen at #9 on the pre-NES charts is the Commodore 16 and/or Plus/4, which makes its first-ever appearance on the tracker this week.

• Like 3