IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

Here are my times for this past week (February 3rd through 9th):

Arcade:

Alpine Ski - 24 min.

The New ZeaLand Story - 46 min.

Atari 2600:

Pengo - 15 min.

Popeye - 33 min. in 3 sessions

Seaquest - 29 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Flappy Bird (Remake) - 5 min.

New set of games this week. Pengo and Popeye are probably well known. In Pengo, I got far enough (there are no new game elements introduced in subsequent rounds), but in Popeye I didn't reach the 3rd round. Then I played a bit of Seaquest because I couldn't remember it too well, but it didn't hold my attention for too long.

Then a new game I hadn't tried in its original form, The New ZeaLand Story, a jump'n'run game in the vein of WonderBoy in Monster Land, Ghosts'n'Goblins and Ghouls'n'Ghosts.

I also played a remake of Flappy Bird, the #1 app at the moment, since I don't have a smartphone. This is a very simple game which could be successfully ported to many early platform. The full graphical beauty could be reached on the NES, SMS, Turbo-Grafx, Atari ST, Amiga and later systems, I suppose, while earlier systems will probably have to suffer graphically or, for some, in terms of smoothness. I considered making a homebrew of it on the Videobrain, which would probably work, but I don't have enough time to start yet another project.

Finally, inspired by the running Olypmic Winter games, I wondered if there had been any skiing games in the arcade, and I found Alpine Ski, which I've never seen in any arcade though. Here you have two and a half minutes to complete two courses, and for each completed course you get 10 (!) additional seconds. You lose 10 seconds for each time you crash, though. However, you collect points by mainly running over point values on the track, and if you reach a set amount, your time gets renewed on running out to another 2:30, but now the timer runs faster! I set the bonus score to the lowest possible amount and managed to survive for 8 minutes this way, at which point the timer runs down at about 8 times its normal speed.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 6, running from February 3 - 9. We logged 1463 minutes of eligible play, playing 32 games on a total of 9 systems.

Top 10:

1. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 265

2. Ghost N Zombies (ColecoVision) - 120

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 97

4. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 85

5. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600) - 76

6. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 72

7. Venture (Atari 8-bit) - 60

8. Hover Strike (Atari Jaguar) - 58

9. New Zealand Story, The (Arcade) - 46

10. Joust (Atari 7800) - 45

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 265

2. Ghost N Zombies (ColecoVision) - 120

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 97

4. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 85

5. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600) - 76

6. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 72

7. Venture (Atari 8-bit) - 60

8. Joust (Atari 7800) - 45

9. Mario Bros. (ColecoVision) - 40

10. Popcorn! (Atari 8-bit) - 35

Top 10 systems:

Not enough systems for a top 10. (The Atari 2600 would've been #1, with 674 minutes.)

The charts are very topical this week, as Skiing is the top contender in a field packed with wintry fare and dominated by pre-crash platforms.

• Like 4

Might as well post today, since there won't be much time to play on the weekend anyway. After last week's scarcity in systems, let's bring back some variety. I had the opportunity to use all my hardware earlier this week and test a lot of the stuff I acquired during the last few months:

Atari 2600

Centipede: 10 min

Night Driver: 5 min

Summer Games: 7 min

SNES

Alladin: 6 min

Mechwarrior 3050: 7 min

NBA Jam: 2 min

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts: 8 min

Master System

Astro Warrior: 7 min

Donald Duck Lucky Dime Caper: 5 min

Dynamite Dux: 8 min

Global Gladiators: 3 min

Impossible Mission: 10 min

Pit Pot: 2 min

Shinobi: 5 min

Submarine Attack: 3 min

Mega Drive

Alladin: 4 min

Batman returns: 3 min

Lemmings: 2 min

Side Pocket: 4 min

Sonic 1: 5 min

Sonic 2: 10 min

Sonic 3: 5 min

Street Fighter 2: 1 min

Super Wrestlemania: 5 min

Theme Park: 3 min

Tiny Toons ACME All Stars: 2 min

WWF Raw: 5 min

WWF Royal Rumble: 5 min

PS1

Mechwarrior 2: 10 min

Was really looking forward to trying this out, since I am a huge Battletech fan and absolutely love the superawesome PC version. But this one... meh! I would have thought the PS1 can do better on that one. Not recommended.

• Like 3

Atari 8-bit:

M.U.L.E. - 72 min.

C64:

Winter Games - 57 min.

Famicom:

Bookyman (Brush Roller) - 5 min.

Castle Excellent (Castlequest) - 8 min.

Devil World - 3 min.

Hyper Olympic - 11 min.

Lunarball - 10 min.

Magic Jewelry - 26 min.

VIC-20:

Bergshooting - 33 min.

Biathlon - 8 min.

VC-Pinball - 2 min.

After last week's 2600 frenzy in the Olympic Games HSC, I went back to play a round of Winter Games on the good old C64. This time I even read some of the instructions, in particular to finally learn how figure skating is supposed to score. Despite I did just about everything the rules says, I only managed around 3.4 on a scale from 0 to 6. My skating girls probably did more crying than kissing that night. It also reminded me there is a BASIC version of Biathlon for the expanded VIC-20, one of those seldom seen German language games. It needed a bit of patching to be playable though, as originally it would require the player to push Z-X at the very exact moment in order to move at all. Finally I loaded another German language game called Bergshooting which is a target shooting game with nine targets on a board. At professional levels (21 and upwards), it starts to get rather difficult and exciting, which is why I spent over half an hour until I managed to reach level 25.

• Like 2

Atari Jaguar

Checkered Flag - 20 minutes

Club Drive - 10 minutes

Zool 2 - 10 minutes

Bubsy - 5 minutes

Zoop - 5 minutes

Atari 8 Bit

Necromancer - 5 minutes

Rally Soeedway - 10 minutes

Boulderdash - 30 minutes

Is this tracked in an online spreadsheet that can be made viewable?

Edited by Ripdubski
  • Like 3

Is this tracked in an online spreadsheet that can be made viewable?

Do you mean beyond the weekly posts? I could post the spreadsheet I use as an attachment at some point for archival purposes (I've been meaning to do that, actually), but I'm reluctant to use Google Docs because it's slower than Excel (or OpenOffice, which is what I actually use) and I'm not familiar with its privacy settings.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (Monday through Sunday, obviously... err... February 10th through 16th)

Arcade:

Road Fighter - 14 min.

Spy Hunter - 7 min. in 2 sessions

TI-99:

Road Hunter - 262 min. in 6 sessions

The game I played the most this week was, again, Road Hunter on the TI-99, which received another upgrade and now sports 3 levels and enemy cars that collide with each other, sending each other into the roadside and giving you points for it.

Then I played the games that were the inspiration for Road Hunter for a comparison, Road Fighter and Spy Hunter, but I have to admit I like Road Hunter more than those two because it's pretty colorful, but not as super-fast as Road Fighter, and smoother than Rpy Hunter.

• Like 3

Do you mean beyond the weekly posts? I could post the spreadsheet I use as an attachment at some point for archival purposes (I've been meaning to do that, actually), but I'm reluctant to use Google Docs because it's slower than Excel (or OpenOffice, which is what I actually use) and I'm not familiar with its privacy settings.

Yes so we could look whenever if we get antsy and dont want to wait. Microsoft Skydrive is another option. SkyDrive documents are hands down better then Google Docs now. You can limit the editors and viewers on both. No big deal, was just curious.

• Like 1

My times for the week:

NES:

Bubble Bobble - 130 min.

Racket Attack - 122 min.

Tetris (Tengen) - 2 min.

Genesis:

Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge - 10 min.

Game Boy:

Killer Instinct - 2 min.

Mortal Kombat - 93 min.

SNES:

Andre Agassi Tennis - 6 min.

Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge - 10 min.

Game Boy Color:

Dexter's Laboratory: Robot Rampage - 2 min.

Dreamcast:

Wacky Races - 194 min.

Xtreme Sports - 40 min.

Made it through the first quest and part of the second in Bubble Bobble, playing co-op with my other half. We even made it through the Level 99 portal. Unfortunately we had to quit when we triggered some sort of bizarre glitch that trapped us in an eternal loop of mutual lightning-ization -- not even Baron von Blubba could break through it! But we were able to consult an online source to get the password for the level we'd been on.

We also played some Xtreme Sports together -- fun game -- and I banged my head against the wall in Game Boy Mortal Kombat, an atrocious port.

Otherwise I played two matches in Racket Attack as Horn, both against Watt. I lost the first without winning a game, but won the second in five tough sets, 2-6 6-2 1-6 6-4 6-3. If I played as a woman I'd only have to play 3-set matches, but c'est la vie.

Finally, I resumed Wacky Races, which I'd set aside for a while, and managed to earn a few more gold stars and unlock a couple things.
  • Like 3

Atari 5200

Boulderdash - 20 minutes

Koffi : Yellow Kopter - 25 minutes

Montezumas Revenge - 60 minutes

Adventure 2 - 30 minutes

Gyruss - 15 minutes

Super Pac-man - 20 minutes

Tempest - 15 minutes

Lasergates - 20 minutes

Head to Head Talking Football electronic game from 1988 By Tiger Electronic Toys :grin:

- 10 minutes

Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 3

Atari 8-bit:
M.U.L.E. - 72 min.
C64:
Winter Games - 57 min.
Famicom:
Bookyman (Brush Roller) - 5 min.
Castle Excellent (Castlequest) - 8 min.
Devil World - 3 min.
Hyper Olympic - 11 min.
Lunarball - 10 min.
Magic Jewelry - 26 min.
VIC-20:
Bergshooting - 33 min.
Biathlon - 8 min.
VC-Pinball - 2 min.
After last week's 2600 frenzy in the Olympic Games HSC, I went back to play a round of Winter Games on the good old C64. This time I even read some of the instructions, in particular to finally learn how figure skating is supposed to score. Despite I did just about everything the rules says, I only managed around 3.4 on a scale from 0 to 6. My skating girls probably did more crying than kissing that night. It also reminded me there is a BASIC version of Biathlon for the expanded VIC-20, one of those seldom seen German language games. It needed a bit of patching to be playable though, as originally it would require the player to push Z-X at the very exact moment in order to move at all. Finally I loaded another German language game called Bergshooting which is a target shooting game with nine targets on a board. At professional levels (21 and upwards), it starts to get rather difficult and exciting, which is why I spent over half an hour until I managed to reach level 25.

I think there's a really cheap way to score a perfect 6 in figure skating. You just to a couple moves and then do nothing but skate until the time runs out or something like that. I used to be the biathalon master back in the day.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

Regarding the figure skating in Winter Games, I have also learned that by pushing all directions at the same time + fire, you immediately end the skating programme. Usually this is not possible, but with a Starplex controller that has one button for each direction, it is a piece of cake to perform this kind of move. At least it is not as complex boring as the event in The Games: Winter Edition (also Epyx) where you first have to choreograph a routine for several minutes, then need to perform it exactly as choreographed. Yes, it may be more realistic but unless you're a complete figure skating nerd, you probably find it more frustrating than fun.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 7, running from February 10 - 16. We logged 2311 minutes of eligible play, playing 94 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 262

2. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 220

3. Wacky Races (Dreamcast) - 194

4. Bubble Bobble (NES/Famicom) - 130

5. Racket Attack (NES/Famicom) - 122

6. Hard Drivin' (Atari Lynx) - 120

7. Mortal Kombat (Game Boy) - 93

8. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 72

9. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 68

10. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 5200) - 60

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Road Hunter (TI-99) - 262

2. Winter Games (Atari 2600) - 220

3. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 72

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 68

5. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 5200) - 60

6. Winter Games (C64) - 57

7. K-razy Shootout (Atari 5200) - 35

8. Bergshooting (VIC-20) - 33

9. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 32

10. Adventure II (Atari 5200) - 30

10. Boulder Dash (Atari 8-bit) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (372)

2. NES/Famicom (317)

3. Atari 5200 (280)

4. Atari 8-bit (262)

4. TI-99 (262)

6. Dreamcast (234)

7. Atari Lynx (120)

8. Game Boy (95)

9. C64 (87)

10. Genesis (64)

A bumper crop of 94 games this week! Given that the Olympics are still underway, it's fitting that many of our top games involve either timed races or mano-a-mano contests. Ultimately the TI-99/4A's Road Hunter takes gold on both individual charts, while the Atari 2600 owns the system charts.

• Like 4