IGNORED

PS4 vs. Wii-U Not sure which to buy.

R.Bear

Not intended to be a fanboy flame war starter here, but my 60GB PS3 is finally starting to show signs of age so I thought I may as well replace it with a next-gen system.

I was originally going to go right for the PS4, however the games are very expensive (£55 a go) and most of the games on there it seems my PC would run better anyway and the PC versions are generally cheaper, however there may be some PS4 exclusives that are worth it in the future.

The Wii-U however has a lot more unique titles, the system is cheaper and so are the games. I am not a big Nintendo person though but Super Smash Bros is one game I will actually really look forward to. The Wii-U should handle Netflix just fine which is also one of my main uses of a console.

I usually wouldn't start these topics but I really am not sure what to go for here, PS4 game prices may drop in future so perhaps it's worth buying that and holding out? Plus the Wii-U won't get games like FF15, but those insanely high game prices have really put me off the PS4.

Just wondering if anybody who owns both systems have any thoughts as to which is better buying right now, I can always get the other one later in the future if I decide to.

Edit: I am primarily a PC gamer, so the console will mostly be used for exclusives only and Netflix functions, so I don't mind if the one console lacks 3rd party non-exclusive AAA games, although I really do like the look of FFXV.

Edited by SkullBlade

Personally, I'm waiting until nov/dec next year to see which way ps4 goes. Gran Turismo could sell me a ps4, but it's not even on the horizon. (so could colony wars, but that's never coming back)

I've tried to sell myself a wii-u numerous times and every time I come back to 'I hate nintendo exclusives' and 'I think it's less powerful than my ps3.'

Since you don't totally hate nintendo exclusives (a position I cannot fully force my brain to consider)...then...maybe...wii-u now?

Wii-u option aside, I think that jumping on ps4 early and hoping prices/games go the way you want is probably a poor choice. There may be hardware price drops before the good stuff comes out and bundles once that happens. There's also usually a big gap in release dates between the launch titles and the second wave of games. If you haven't seen what you want on ps4 yet, I think you'll be out of luck for 6-9 months.

Edited by Reaperman

Sounds like you want to buy a console just for the sake of buying a new console. If I were you, I'd wait until something actually interests me enough to convince me that it's the platform I want to spend hundreds on.

I'm interested in both systems, but if it were me, I'd be buying the Wii-U. I have a PC, so I can already play a large chunk of the PS4's library. It's the Wii-U that would offer me something new.

I don't disagree with any of the comments made so far. That having been said, I can completely sympathize with simply wanting a new console. I waited 8 years from the time I purchased my last console, and as long as there was at least a game or two on it and I could swing the funds, I was getting a new console this year.

That having been said, I purchased a Wii U in August (which was a bit of a surprise purchase....Xbox One was the console I was waiting for and also purchased). I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Take a look at the games and if there are at least maybe 3 that appeal to you (and funding isn't an issue), take the plunge.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I highly doubt I'll ever own many 3rd party games on the Wii U. If a non-Nintendo game is offered multi-platform, I would expect that I'd purchase the X1 version. That having been said, I currently own and would recommend the following (contingent on your gaming tastes, of course): Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, and Rayman Legends. Wonderful 101 is also supposed to be very good, though truth be told I had trouble with the demo. And it's only a matter of time before I own Super Mario 3D

World and when they are eventually released the new Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country and Super Smash Bros.

And it sounds as if Nintendo titles work for you. Of course, if not, I couldn't really recommend the system. For me though, I could own nothing but Nintendo titles for the Wii U and be fine with that.

• Like 1

Can't comment on the "games that interest you" point, since that's something only you can decide, but let me go at this from what will happen over the next 365 days. The Wii U just had a price drop and includes two games. You are unlikely to see more buying incentives than that. The PS4 is brand new and trying to maintain its momentum over the XBone. It's conceivable that Sony May sweeten the pot later on.

If it's just a matter of getting the best bang for your buck, I'd lean toward the Wii-U. That light isnt getting any greener. BUT, the games factor is still the real variable.

I am fortunate enough to have both, but for me it's an easy choice, as playing New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World with my kids have been more fun than anything else I've played this past year. It's not the same for you, as you are not big on Nintendo's first party titles (a position I cannot fully force my brain to consider :) ), so think long and hard before getting the Wii U. PS4 has much more potential and will also have its share of exclusives. But again, if Netflix is your primary concern, maybe just spending less makes more sense -- perhaps even by simply replacing your PS3...

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments all. Yeah it's a matter of wanting a new console and conveniently having funds at that time to spend on games/consoles. My PS3 is also starting to show its age with the occasional system crash and a super loud fan. I am just pretty much stuck on which one at the moment. From these comments I am actually thinking the PS4 may actually be worth it, as said above "Sony may sweeten the pot" and the PS4 has a lot of potential. I've still got another week or so to decide anyway, so I will decide what is the best for me in time hopefully ^^.

The main Nintendo exclusives I'd be interested in really are Super Smash Bros. U and some future Zelda game, perhaps that is not enough to justify the console purchase really. Mario isn't really my thing, but I do like the games I just mentioned. Sadly the main Nintendo games that I like (Starfox and F-Zero) appear to be long dead.

Edited by SkullBlade

I'm having a similar battle in my mind between a Wii U & X1. I did not like my experience with the Wii, so I never really had an interest in the Wii U, but with the recent excellent games that have released & NES Remix (which looks AMAZING) has me wondering if I should hold off on the X1.

I also don't have the funds, so it's mainly just a fun internal discussion to have. My 360 hard drive recently died, so I'm going to need to replace that as well.

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

I'll chime in with my two cents since I own all of them... First and foremost, it should always comes down to what games that are available (or coming relatively soon) that you want to play. With that out of the way and all else being equal, I can say from personal experience that the PS4 and Xbox One are on a whole other level performance-wise over the Wii U. I don't necessarily mean audio-visuals - they all look and sound good, as do the Xbox 360 and PS3 - but in general functionality. You can get in and out of gaming/media/other functionality so smoothly with both the PS4 and Xbox One, and simply get down to gaming so fast over all previous disc-based systems that it truly feels like a fresh new experience. On the Xbox One side I love the fact that is has the HDMI pass-through for my cable box so I never have to switch inputs. That convenience alone makes me use it more than the others, i.e., it's always ready to go.

On the Wii U side, the touchscreen gamepad is kind of neat, but you do lose a bit with having the controller spread out like it is, particularly in comparison to the highly tuned and sleeker stock PS4 and Xbox One controllers. Still, off TV play is a wonderful bonus, even if you are still restricted to being in the same room as the console. My biggest pet peeve with the Wii U is that your digital purchases are tied to a console, not an account. This means that if your Wii U dies, your games go with it. That's why I don't do many digital purchases that are more than a dollar on the Wii U (added to the fact that I have a second Wii U that has nothing on it as a result). On both the PS4 and Xbox One, I buy digital stuff freely since those purchases are portable to my login to any other respective console.

Bill makes a good point -- the XB1 functionality is pretty impressive. Of particular note is the unique "snap" picture-in-picture feature that allows for multiple things to be going on at once (e.g., gaming and TV-watching). I remain concerned about the relative dearth of XB1 exclusives planned for the future, but Forza 5 is an amazing game.

But tbh I'm still using the last gen consoles much more than any of the new gen systems. :)

I went for the hidden third option: buy a more compatible PS3 (real PS2 hardware).

PS3 games will still be released into 2015. Now I can enjoy my back catalog of PS2 games as well. I forgot how much I hate/love Baroque :P

I too have one of the original PS3 models with an upgraded hard drive. It can play almost all PS1 and PS2 games without issue. It's not necessarily critical since it's cheaper just to get a real PS1 and PS2 (if one doesn't have them already), but it is more convenient on the odd occasion you'd want to play a legacy game that you don't have digitally.

Speaking of that, I honestly don't mind the clean break that the PS4 and Xbox One represent, i.e., no backwards compatibility. There are pluses and minuses to both approaches, but the one big plus to the clean break approach is that you don't need to compromise the design of your new system in any way.

I went for the hidden third option: buy a more compatible PS3 (real PS2 hardware).

PS3 games will still be released into 2015. Now I can enjoy my back catalog of PS2 games as well. I forgot how much I hate/love Baroque :P

Been playing my fat PS3 a lot lately too mainly due to back catalogs of 3 generations of games. It can be nice having the BC. I think it's the only system that exists that does 3 generations of consoles very well. That's a boatload of games.

• Like 1

Been playing my fat PS3 a lot lately too mainly due to back catalogs of 3 generations of games. It can be nice having the BC. I think it's the only system that exists that does 3 generations of consoles very well. That's a boatload of games.

The only other that even does 3 generations of physical games is Game Boy Advance. Genesis almost would have but it doesn't support SG-1000.

If your PS3 is crashing a lot, I HIGHLY recommend backing up your save files if. My PS3 over heated and originally thought I could buy a replacement and put the hard drive in it. Not so. If I want those saves, I'll have to send that system away to get fixed be it through Sony or another company. Not sure if you knew that or not, but it's still good practice to back up your data.

The only other that even does 3 generations of physical games is Game Boy Advance. Genesis almost would have but it doesn't support SG-1000.

Wii U also came close. The hardware is essentially capable of playing GameCube software, only the lack of physical GCN controller & memory card ports and perhaps the inability of the slot loading drive to accept minidisc holds it back.

And through homebrew, it can natively play GCN disc images.

Edited by Atariboy

Wii U also came close. The hardware is essentially capable of playing GameCube software, only the lack of physical GCN controller & memory card ports and perhaps the inability of the slot loading drive to accept minidisc holds it back.

And through homebrew, it can natively play GCN disc images.

Heh I didn't know the Wii-U was based on Gamecube hardware too, I thought considering it's somewhat more powerful than a PS3/360 it would be totally different.

Anyway the comments on here have edged me towards the PS4 and I've ordered one from Amazon. Thanks for the advice all. I'll get a Wii-U at some point in the future too in 6 months or so for Super Smash Bros.

• Like 1

Warframe alone on the PS4 is enough to pick one up. No game I owned on either of my Wii Us kept me captivated for nearly as long.

It's part of that "next gen" bit that is actually important to me. Not graphics, but everything else. Warframe can update itself ... majorly... any time. And it does about once a month. That includes new missions, new weapons, new characters, and even better graphics and lighting effects for those graphic whores among us. It's simply something I've never seen to this extent in gaming before on consoles, and it's something I doubt we'll ever see on a Nintendo platform any time this generation.

Also, I think the party chat is significantly better than the Wii U's chat app. While it was cool that anyone basically had a camera with the Wii U, it was almost impossible to notify them that you were calling them for a chat, as the only way they'd see you were calling is by the home button blinking on the controller they rarely looked down at. I'd always be calling people on Skype or on my cell phone to tell them I wanted to chat with them on the Wii U... and that, ... ugh.. just defeats the point.

With the PS4, you get an on-screen notification, which is infinitely more noticeable. That and you can chat while you play a game, which you can't do with the Wii U.

Another feature I found myself surprised using all the time is the image and video capture. Being on a party chat, and doing something cool in a game, and saying "man I wish I could show you what I just did.... OH WAIT I can!" and edit the video in 15 seconds, and post it to facebook for them to check out is simply something that seemed impossible to do tech wise. I mean, you can play a game like Warframe which is all online, with 3 other people, while streaming on Twitch TV without any performance hit... WHILE people are asking you questions ... WHILE you're using a camera to film yourself and voice chat.

It's impressive, and I think it's that certain "something" that makes me feel excited when I sit down to play the PS4, a certain excitement I just didn't feel with the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, there's a handful of great games on the Wii U that I'd recommend ANY day. But if it was one or the other, I simply couldn't recommend the system to you.

Edited by DaytonaUSA