IGNORED

7800 plays 2600 Games, Not 7800 Games?

Jagosaurus

What did you do just sand the cart slot?

No sanding. Trimming with an utility knife. Check out the 7800 cartridge port pics in the second post of this thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/112166-modifying-the-2600-cart-slot-to-take-damaged-carts/

Makes a big difference!

Edited by mitchd61

• 1 month later...

Okay, broke this out again today and upon close inspection...

The board has three marker strikes on it (two black, one yellow) & the area housing the RF hook up has the same marker "loop" that was on the RF shielding.

BC no1 has seen the first marking I noticed before (on RF shield) so my guess now is that it was broken and repaired by Atari or a hardware shop at some point in it's life, long ago.

Thoughts? I can take picks if you want to see more marker :] original marker I noticed:

IMG_20140202_150116_082_zps4923ff94.jpg

Any1 know which chip is Maria? All the chips look fine to the naked eye.

Looks like missing solder is causing some missed connections. Can you solder or know someone who can?

Yeah I have some limited experience. I'll need to borrow the equipment from work or finally buy an iron lol. I appreciate the input! Looks like we found our issue.... step one lol.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

We got a 7800 in trade and have the same issue. Please 2600 games fine, but not 7800 games. Did you actually wind up fixing this? If so, what did you find out?

Thanks,

Tom

I believe it was solder on Maria chop as mentioned above although the repair marks where intriguing. I had a buddy who wanted a 2600 & traded me for this 7800 instead :)

I now have another 7800 that works 80% of the time or so. This one will experience color bleeding & graphical glitches out of nowhere. Only happens on 7800, not 2600. Seems some Maria chips are reaching end of life or need attention.

I believe it was solder on Maria chop as mentioned above although the repair marks where intriguing. I had a buddy who wanted a 2600 & traded me for this 7800 instead :)

I now have another 7800 that works 80% of the time or so. This one will experience color bleeding & graphical glitches out of nowhere. Only happens on 7800, not 2600. Seems some Maria chips are reaching end of life or need attention.

That "works 80%" 7800 might also have an issue with the cartridge slot. The pins do lose spring force over the years and are hard to clean well. A bit of surface oxidation + poor contact pressure = glitchy carts. Next time your game glitches a bit, wiggle the cart and see what happens. If wiggling changes thing (better or worse!) it's time to give that cart slot some attention. I found that you can actually tighten up the pins on the slot connector a bit with a toothpick or very small flat blade screwdriver blade. Do that, clean the pins as best you can with a thin piece of folded cardboard and see what happens.

Another possible technique for cleaning cart slots is to power off the system and unplug it, spray a cartridge edge connector with electrical contact cleaner or wet it very thoroughly alcohol, then insert and remove the cartridge firmly several times.

Cart slot is nice & clean, very clean carts as well. Happens randomly with several games (have tried different carts of same title with same results) such as Pole Position & Choplifter. Movinh cart and re-inserting doesnt help. Others run fine such as Centipede & Galaga. Makes me think it's how those particular titles use the chip perhaps. Seems worse with colorful games.

I'm tempted to buy a refurbished, composite modded console from Best Electronics :)