IGNORED

What about those weird Panic games?

Hey everyone, it's my first forum topic, so I am kind of a noob.

I remember seeing these cool Atari repro boxes. They weren't based on the same games, these were different, games like Unison, Transmit, Candybar. I picked up these boxes for 19 bucks.

It was cool but, it was only the boxes. I'd want some games to go with the package,

I did some research and so did alot others and it turns out: Back in 1982 Panic, Inc. made real games for VCS, (all 4 games) these weren't reviewed by Atari but for the system these boxes look very, very, simalar to the actual boxes for made by Atari. But the idea failed and the idea was discontinued. At this point I was thinking, "What happened to the dozens of carts and manuals?" it seems Panic moved to a new location. And the contents was dumped. By that I mean sent in truck loads to a landfill. That is sad.

Years later Panic found some leftovers from their project, and still no carts were contained. Some guy obviously a programmer or ramdom worker eiether made a repro of Candybar for the 2600 or what he says, "I went into the back of the factory, and after dozens, and dozens, and stacks of boxes and other retro stuff, i found this: The pic was some Atari picture label custom to look like a real Candybar game (Awesome) but there was something different this one: As the snapshot of the game suggests, this one is different: The chef sprite changed, the candy (or Macintosh) sprites are now blue, red, and white blocks, the chutes (or mouths?) is someone. And more differences. This is the only game Panic has. Though the game is still nice.

Transit, Coda, Unison don't exist. I've tried programming for the atari 2600 but I don't get it. My point is: Someone should try to recreate these awesome looking games!!! I'd like to see what these games were like, sure it's definately obvious that 1982 is over, but I think I speak for every Atari enthusiast when I say: Go ahead! A little programming never hurt anyone, and you are done, you'll have something everyone would wanna play! I know I would.

Here are some of the pictures I was meaning:

post-38054-0-76391000-1388898433_thumb.jpg

Cool boxes I got for 19 bones.

post-38054-0-85497200-1388899765_thumb.jpg

Repro cart from TIGSource's "A Game by it's Cover" competition

post-38054-0-78191800-1388899779_thumb.jpg

The box of Panic's long forgotten memories.

post-38054-0-58012200-1388899791_thumb.jpg

This is the REAL screenshot of Candybar. As you can see, it's not photoshopped.

Edited by Underground_Robot

It is a real game. I made a full version with manual that me and the boys at PANIC have. Albert made the carts. The back story was just for fun, though. Thanks for noticing my work :)

UPDATE: I'd love for someone to join in and make another game based off of their boxes. You should check out batari BASIC and make the next game!

http://bataribasic.com/

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/65-batari-basic/

• Like 1

From the mock up of Unison in their fake advertisement it looks like Yars Revenge (Bottom right hand corner of advertisement).

"FIGHT SURREAL ALIENS"

http://www.panic.com/blog/panic-retro-art/

It should be possible (Yars shield). You just have to scrunch up the playfield and give each row its own color. I've done it before in a breakout clone experiment.

post-13304-0-47658100-1379353716_thumb.png

No. They just thought it'd be cool to make mock up boxes for their products. TIGSource just happened to have a game making contest where you must make a fake game real. I bought the boxes from PANIC and studied the screenshots and text descriptions. My primary focus was keeping it as authentic as possible so the gameplay kinda suffered. I don't think Unison would have that problem.

You have the info I have. The box, that advertisement I linked and the original software (Usenet reader) are all that can be gleaned. If you can handle batch files then you definitely can handle BASIC. We're a friendly, mostly helpful bunch. My first game was called Drunken Pooper. You can't do any worse than me :)

post-13304-0-25166400-1367351812_thumb.jpg