IGNORED

Flat screen CRT problems?

guitarmas

Hopefully this won't be the case for you, but in _my_ experience...

I've got a Trinitron 27" Flat CRT that I love. I got a modded composite video Vader 2600 (not sure which mod, bought it from a place that I don't think still does them), and no matter what I do or adjust, the screen flips with my Trinitron (constantly, it's unplayable). I'd spent hours fidgeting with settings and whatnot, and it just won't work. So I've got my modded Vader hooked up to a little GXTV now, and it looks and sounds wonderful on that. But still bugs me that it never successfully cohabited with my Trinitron. I've got a comp modded 7800 that works beautifully on the Trinitron, go figure.

Hopefully this won't be the case for you, but in _my_ experience...

I've got a Trinitron 27" Flat CRT that I love. I got a modded composite video Vader 2600 (not sure which mod, bought it from a place that I don't think still does them), and no matter what I do or adjust, the screen flips with my Trinitron (constantly, it's unplayable). I'd spent hours fidgeting with settings and whatnot, and it just won't work. So I've got my modded Vader hooked up to a little GXTV now, and it looks and sounds wonderful on that. But still bugs me that it never successfully cohabited with my Trinitron. I've got a comp modded 7800 that works beautifully on the Trinitron, go figure.

That's what I'm afraid of. What are the different variation of mods out there?

My Trinitron supports s-video. I just want to make sure that it won't have any display problems once I start using it.

If an s-video modified 2600 won't work properly with your Trinitron, the problem is with your set, not the 2600. I have used s-video and composite modified 2600 systems with various Trinitron sets over the years and have never had a problem.

..Al

Even a modded 2600 doesn't always spit out stable video. The most likely problem would be the picture rolling. I've run composite and S-video mods through various monitors and other video gear at work, and the higher end something is, the less forgiving it tends to be of wonky video.

You just won't know until you plug the thing in.

Best mod I have ever seen and used and on many different televisions is a modded colecovision from yurkie with the atari expansion module . The colecovision mod gives the best colors and always the same and accurate picture no matter what game or television I use it on ... no slight ghosting like a 7800 mod either . A modded 2600 can differ and give darker or different colors , especially with homebrews . So im my opinion I rate the colecovision with atari module the best and the 7800 #2 and 2600 #3 . All of my modded consoles are composite only also .

Edited by AtariBrian

I upgraded to a near-current era Trinitron from a 30 year old Mitsubishi last year (blew it's HOV Transformer to the flyback, which is irreplaceable). Love it, it also seems the digital tuner does a good job of dropping out the static/interference from the games better than the old Mitsubishi did so I have totally decided not to mod my 2600 for A/V output now. Was fixing a co-worker's 4-switch woodgrain last night and it's practically as good as my NES through A/V on that set, which is nuts thinking of all the times I had diagonal sweeping interference on the Mitsubishi.

This is probably off topic but I have a feeling those modern digital CRT TVs have reduced ability to what can be manually set as for the geometry parameters of the picture. What I am exactly talking about is when you output a 15 kHz signal from a VGA card (emulation) and the resolution is "critical" - something like 240 visible scanlines and 60 Hz. I remember I was not able to display that at all with Advance MAME some 10 years ago. I came to conclusion that I really needed an arcade CRT monitor that was specifically designed to handle video game modes. I am not sure if I was completely right or not but normal TVs for sure are less flexible than special video gaming monitors. No doubts about that.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 27" Sanyo flat screen CRT on CL a few weeks ago for the garage and I get slight wavy distortion on the vertical screen borders when playing my 2600, 7800 (LHE mod) and XEGS. The distortion is not as noticeable on the XEGS. There is no distortion on the DVD player. I'm going to hook up a Jaguar today and see if it picks up any distortion. Any thoughts on possible causes?

• 2 weeks later...

In figured it out. I had to go into the service menu and adjust the "pin cushion". Now it looks pretty good. I used the 2600 Color Bar Generator to help with the adjustments. First time I've ever used it other than to adjust my color pot.

I just got a Sanyo with the same problem. How did you access the service menu?