IGNORED

OLD CS1

mattcelt

Hey, lads/ladies... I've been going through some old boxes and came across a couple of physical tapes from my 99/4A days as a child. I have one cassette with Teach Yourself BASIC, and a second with several programs/games labelled as such on it:

Side A

-Biorythm

-Factor Foe 65

-Tic Tac Toe 120

-Word Scramble 180

-Lost Ruins 240

-Knight's Tour 295

Side B

-Music Skills Training

-Space Zapper

I don't have any idea of the state of the cassettes, but I have a high-quality DENON deck that I could use to read them.

Have all of these programs been accounted for and digitised already, or should I make a digital recording of them for the community? And is there a set of instructions on how to do the digitisation properly?

Thanks in advance for the help, and for keeping the memories of the TI alive - it's been a gas reading through the forums! :-D

• Like 2

Kevan - it looks like Biorythm is up on the ftp already. :-)

Unfortunately it's in .WAV format. While I have the ability to load and save from cassette, my PC attenuates the audio from digitized sources, so I cannot use it in this format. Now if it was in another format like a disk image or in a FIAD file.... Oh well.

Unfortunately it's in .WAV format. While I have the ability to load and save from cassette, my PC attenuates the audio from digitized sources, so I cannot use it in this format. Now if it was in another format like a disk image or in a FIAD file.... Oh well.

How can it be made into such a format? What's the process?

There are at least 2 disks (CV020.DSK and CV036.DSK) on whtech with a (the?) Biorhythm program on them. They look to be the same program One of the disks (CV020.DSK) has a label of "20-TIFORTH"; but, all the programs I've viewed are in XB or TIB: ftp://ftp.whtech.com/user%20groups/Cedar%20Valley/library/

...lee

• Like 1

There are at least 2 disks (CV020.DSK and CV036.DSK) on whtech with a (the?) Biorhythm program on them. They look to be the same program One of the disks (CV020.DSK) has a label of "20-TIFORTH"; but, all the programs I've viewed are in XB or TIB: ftp://ftp.whtech.com/user%20groups/Cedar%20Valley/library/

...lee

Hey, allright! I'll check this out later tonight (after 11:00) when I have some uninterrupted time. THANX!

I'll bet you thought this thread was about you! :P

...lee

I'm so vaiiiiiiin. hehehe I have a habit of selecting some-what general-use monikers. For instance, on the Amiga boards I use "LoadWB," which is the command to launch the AmigaOS Workbench. I should join an Apple forum and call myself "INIT HELLO" :)

• Like 2

we just created a library of wav files of cassettes recently on the ftp.whtech.com archive

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Cassettes/

I believe we have these stored in disk image form elsewhere but I don't see them here

Greg

Nice! Hey, do you happen to have any more Mini Memory .wav's by chance? Particularly Minipede...

we just created a library of wav files of cassettes recently on the ftp.whtech.com archive

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/Cassettes/

I believe we have these stored in disk image form elsewhere but I don't see them here

Greg

Yep, I dumped everything I had for posterity. I know we have those in other formats, but there's nothing like preserving the actual cassette sounds. :)

44.1khz wav seemed appropriate; I didn't know if making it a .mp3 or other lossy format would have messed with the ability for the TI to recognize it.

Yep, I dumped everything I had for posterity. I know we have those in other formats, but there's nothing like preserving the actual cassette sounds. :)

44.1khz wav seemed appropriate; I didn't know if making it a .mp3 or other lossy format would have messed with the ability for the TI to recognize it.

I use lame --vbr-new and have no problem with the compression. I also tried faac to encode aac and m4a with no problems.

...lee

I finally had a chance to get it! Thanks for leading me to it. That is the EXACT program I remember. I ran it... everything converges tommorrow AT THE BOTTOM! :skull:

Sounds like it's worth ripping the tapes I have, then, just in case. (And honestly, I'm curious to see if the data have held up in 30 years of storage.)

I noticed in another thread someone mentioned having the source for Parsec... Is there a playable version around? Some serious childhood nostalgia is associated with that game.

Edited by mattcelt

Sounds like it's worth ripping the tapes I have, then, just in case. (And honestly, I'm curious to see if the data have held up in 30 years of storage.)

I noticed in another thread someone mentioned having the source for Parsec... Is there a playable version around? Some serious childhood nostalgia is associated with that game.

I don't have the source code for Parsec, but the attached file is an E/A 5 of Parsec that will run off disk. There is a glitch in the scenery that scrolls across the bottom of the screen, but if you want to run Parsec on "REAL IRON" without the cartridge, this might get you by until you can scrounge up a cart of your own.

(If anyone has a better version, please upload it).

HAVE FUN!

Parsec-Disk.zip

I believe I still have every TI cartridge we ever owned in a box somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig them out on the morrow.

Thanks for the info on Parsec! I can't wait to try to wend my way through that ridiculously long refueling tunnel again... I can't believe it's been %#@%# (so many) years since...

• 2 months later...

If you have a TI with cassette and disk, simply load from one and save to the other (assuming compatible programs such as Minimem, Basic or EXB). I was wondering myself if anyone had tried to digitize the audio, but of course it's been done! I figured it would just work no problem, but I guess the encoding is where the compression takes its toll. I might try it on my Mac just for S&G.

I have all those programs in my own library, they made the rounds back then, as now.