IGNORED

Team Pixelboy trading card project - The Official thread!

Pixelboy

Welcome to the official thread of Team Pixelboy's trading card project! :D

First of all, I added a section to teampixelboy.com which is devoted to the project. It contains pretty much all the details I could muster up on short notice, and I invite you all to drop by and see what the project is all about. Post your comments in this thread if you so wish.

Right now, I am into phase 1 of the project, which is (or rather was) to add the project to the web site, and also to run a survey among AtariAge members. If you have a keen interest in this project and plan on ordering sets of cards as they become available, please post your interest here, and I will add you to the mailing list for this particular project.

Later today, I will also start contacting the people in my customer records by e-mail, to try to reach those who do not drop by the AtariAge forums often. I'm hoping to gather enough interest to make the project worth pursuing.

I would like to use this thread to discuss certain issues:

1) I'm planning to scan all the boxes in my CIB ColecoVision collection, but my scanner is not the best one around and the colors in the scans tend to be a little dull. I'd like the colors in the final trading cards to be as good as possible, so what would you recommend I should do to spruce up the colors in my scans? A simple gamma correction, perhaps?

2) I recall an AA member who posted high-quality beauty shots of the ColecoVision expansion modules and controllers a few years ago, on a pure white background. They looked really beautiful, and I could use such pictures for the back of the hardware/controller trading cards. I can't seem to find the thread, so could someone point me to it? I'd like to contact the member about this...

3) There are probably mistakes in to "To-Do List" section of the web site. For example, I'm not sure if there are distinct american and canadian versions of the Aquattack box. Any information that would help me correct the to-do list would be welcome.

4) There are certain types of european boxes which I have decided to leave out of the project. To put it simply, when there is an english (UK) version of an european CBS box, I will not do the French, German and Spanish versions since the only thing that differs is the text in the yellow banner under the title logo. The box art is the exact same, so doing all the variants seems like overkill to me. I hope no one will mind...

5) I'm hoping Crapahute will help me with the european box scans... ;)

So anyway, I hope this trading card project will be a success. I've been thinking about it long enough, and now that I found a professional printer to print the cards, it's time for me to act! :)

Please use this thread to post any questions or comments about this project.

Thanks! :D

• Like 4

Are these trading cards going to be standard size so that one can place them in protective sheets and binder?

Yep. According to the printer, they are 63x88 millimeters, so 2.5 x 3.5 inches.

EDIT: I added this tidbit of information to the web site, in the overview section. Any other piece of information you think I should add, please let me know.

Interested in buying as always.

I haven't seen different AquaAttack versions but then again that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I do hope you will try to do the different Xenox double ender boxes now that we see there are 2 different kinds. That is kinda cool.

I forgot the thread but maybe he can give you a scan of his box.

I do hope you will try to do the different Xenox double ender boxes now that we see there are 2 different kinds. That is kinda cool.

You mean the North-American and European versions? I happen to own the CIB european version of Robin Hood / Sir Lancelot, and I plan to make a trading card with it. Does anyone know if Xonox released a Chuck Norris / Artillery Duel double-ender in Europe, or any other double-ender?

Good luck to your project! Replied to your questions a few minutes ago:)

It's really fun to create those cards (have already made a set of 7800 cards with INTV an 5200 in the pipeline:). http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199129-atari-7800-trading-cards-series-1/

Edited by Marc Oberhäuser

Good luck to your project! Replied to your questions a few minutes ago:)

It's really fun to create those cards (have already made a set of 7800 cards with INTV an 5200 in the pipeline:). http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199129-atari-7800-trading-cards-series-1/

Many thanks for your invaluable input, Marc! :D

I'm hoping someone can answer at least the first two points I raised in the first post of this thread...

You mean the North-American and European versions? I happen to own the CIB european version of Robin Hood / Sir Lancelot, and I plan to make a trading card with it. Does anyone know if Xonox released a Chuck Norris / Artillery Duel double-ender in Europe, or any other double-ender?

How did you get european version? Just read the the topic [218576-sir-lancelot-robin-hood-double-hender-xonox-box] (can't figure out how to link to it) and you said what the heck was it. Those are the ones I was thinking about.

How did you get european version? Just read the the topic [218576-sir-lancelot-robin-hood-double-hender-xonox-box] (can't figure out how to link to it) and you said what the heck was it. Those are the ones I was thinking about.

Yes, that's the one I bought, on eBay, not very long after I saw that thread. There's also a link to an ad posted by Crapahute, which show the boxes of three Atari 2600 double-enders (Robin Hood / Sir Lancelot, Spike's Peak / Ghost Manor and Super Kung-Fu / Artillery Duel). The only question that remains is whether Xonox put a "ColecoVision" sticker on the Super Kung-Fu / Artillery Duel european box. :)

Yes, that's the one I bought, on eBay, not very long after I saw that thread. There's also a link to an ad posted by Crapahute, which show the boxes of three Atari 2600 double-enders (Robin Hood / Sir Lancelot, Spike's Peak / Ghost Manor and Super Kung-Fu / Artillery Duel). The only question that remains is whether Xonox put a "ColecoVision" sticker on the Super Kung-Fu / Artillery Duel european box. :)

Ah man, I am doing a terrible job at keeping up with ebay. Bad Dan!

Congrats to you sir!

So far I only have 1 north american Double Ender CIB. Oh well, it is better for my bank account that I miss these things. :)

I don't like the fact that these cards won't be numbered.

That's a valid opinion. Does anyone else share rmaerz's sentiment? It's really the kind of thing we should all discuss early on in the project, while there's still time to change the card design.

My main reason for not putting a number on the card is that I'm afraid that a particularly rare box is going to pop up, one that I had never seen before, and this will mess up the numbering system, assuming this numbering system follows the alphabetical order of the game names.

Also, if I do number the cards, then I have to consider how I'm going to populate the sets. Do I mix up american, european, australian, homebrews, etc. in similar proportions from one set of 55 cards to the next? If I do this, then if there's a single box that I cannot get a scan of, that can hold up the release of an entire set of 55 cards.

So by not numbering the cards, I can release sets of 55 cards with whatever card templates are ready for print. Then those who purchase the cards can order them however they like, in binders or storage boxes. I just don't think it's that important to underline which card belongs to which particular set, since my primary (and admitedly ambitious) goal is to make a card for every box variant out there, not to imitate the likes of Topps, Upper Deck or Panini.

I'd buy your cards sounds like a great idea :-D :thumbsup:

non numbers I think are the way to go since there is still rare boxes that are out there that have never been found like Venture Colecovision/Adam box. Without numbers will make it much easier to add it if a box is found sometime in the future.

It might be a good idea to make a list of all the cards you can make from your collection then anything your missing other CIB collectors can help out to fill in any holes. I would be willing to help with any missing ones that you don't have.

I'd buy your cards sounds like a great idea :-D :thumbsup:

Cool. :)

non numbers I think are the way to go since there is still rare boxes that are out there that have never been found like Venture Colecovision/Adam box. Without numbers will make it much easier to add it if a box is found sometime in the future.

You do raise an important point that I neglected to mention until now: While I did say that I wanted to make a trading card for every box variant, I meant that in a "regional" way only. For instance, if there are several variants of the american box of a CV game (like Venture) if the difference between boxes is very minute, I may choose to do only one card with one of the variants and drop the other variants. Of course, it's probably going to be a case-by-case thing, but anyway, I just want to say that I'm not going to do a trading card for every last box variant.

It might be a good idea to make a list of all the cards you can make from your collection then anything your missing other CIB collectors can help out to fill in any holes. I would be willing to help with any missing ones that you don't have.

This is actually something I'm planning on doing after I've had a chance to explore my collection. I have several boxes in my collection that have ugly pricetag stickers, and those are not acceptable as scan material. I also have a few boxes that are way too damaged to make good scans, so I'm hoping to get scans of those from other people. I'll integrate the list of box scans I need into the to-do list on the Team Pixelboy web site.

I would also like to see Splicevision and Taiwan Cooper cards. I think those boxes look really cool.

The Taiwan Coopers are already on my to-do list. I don't have the yellow ones though...

• Like 1

Hi Luc, got your email.. Heck Yeah, count me in! I'm not missing out on cards this time ;-) I'm glad these are coming out or at least being developed. Numbered or not, it doesn't matter too much to me.. haha oh and btw, I also got Princess Quest and Quest for the Golden Chalice in the mail today! Wow these games are amazing, best artwork and printing quality I've seen yet, hands down... and the sweet looking silver and gold cartridges to, Wow!!! . I'm about to start my Quests as soon as I'm done typing this.. Ahh Finally. :-) later dudes!

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

Quick update: I now have over 20 people on my mailing list, and 20 was my magic number for keeping the project going. So now watch me carry that project all the way to the end! :twisted:

EDIT: Oh, and I also have Crapahute's permission to use the box scans on his web site. That should help tremendously! Thanks Crapahute! :D

I recall an AA member who posted high-quality beauty shots of the ColecoVision expansion modules and controllers a few years ago, on a pure white background. They looked really beautiful, and I could use such pictures for the back of the hardware/controller trading cards. I can't seem to find the thread, so could someone point me to it? I'd like to contact the member about this...

Here ;)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197042-my-yurkivision-the-end-all-be-all/?hl=%2Bnikon&do=findComment&comment=2508151