IGNORED

Small demo to celebrate New Year (didn't finish in time for NYD 14 :) ).

Cool, thanks for the greetz.

All of you mentioned in the greetings are essentially a bunch of cool dudes that helped me in one way or the other in last couple of years to learn and understand Atari better and to be able to produce something like this to return the favor :)

Thanks again!

The text is a bit hard to read, would it still look OK if you boosted the luma a bit?

This was a rushed job... It was supposed to be finished couple of weeks ago. Idea came when I inverted logic in that Blobs contraption of mine and got those nice snowflake like shapes.

Then it was Christmas, New Year, lots of food and family to take care of... Not much time for coding.

Then I had to learn how to throw in music into it. Must say it went pretty quick considering it was my first try.

Next was scrolling text. I thought "I'll just throw quad PMs on the screen and scroll them bit at a time...".

Did that and realized that because I used standard hires text (mode 2), PMs get color from one PF, and luma from the other PF :(

Parts of PMs over border were obeying different rules so it all looked even worse...

So I threw kind of rainbow onto it just to make it more visible...

Could it be better ? Yes :)

At least this way it is finished and I can continue doing something more interesting.

• Like 3

It looks like I really haven't slept enough in last couple of weeks (fortunately for good reasons so not a problem)...

Xuel sent me a simple fix for dark luma problem. It was easy fix, EOR #$FF in copy_charset routine, changed PF1 and PF2 colors, and filled color table for the rainbow with new values :)

Thanks Xuel!

where_is_the_snow_v1.1.xex

...That is really something that should be presented on the pouet.net too.

Hope to see more of such high quality things made by popmilo soon ;)

Thanks, I hope to have much more to show to pouet audience ;)

[edit] Again Xuel to the rescue - wrong fade out color at the end :)

Cool effect though so I'll leave that version too.

New version:

where_is_the_snow_v1.2.xex

Edited by popmilo
  • Like 2

cool stuff... :) glad to see it... and I love PM mega scrollers :D (would be interesting to see your scroll code and compare with mine).

All code is in public bitbucket repo. You should be able to read it here: scroller.asm

PMs are just resized and put next to each other (M3 M2 M1 M0 P0 P1 P2 P3 + additional buffer column):

Simple ROL is used to shift text to left. Every eight bit, new letter is plotted into buffer.

For each byte of the letter it's repeated couple of times to get larger letters.

The text is a bit hard to read, would it still look OK if you boosted the luma a bit?

Finaly managed to record 1.2 version... New version with improved visibility of colored text... Inverting bits does wonders ;)

ps. Uploading videos to Youtube does produce strange results... 30fps doesn' go well with Pal 50fps I guess....

Anyone knows "best" way to record and upload videos to Youtube from Atari emulators ?

• Like 2

could be optimised little bit... ;=) but basicly the same like I am doing.

I tried to use "soft scrolling" (4x $d404) but did not managed as it flickered somehow...

6502 code can always be optimized ;)

Friend of mine also suggested slowing down text... Simple way would be to go for 25fps, but that would be cheating (and ugly :) ).

Then I thought about how to cover left and right edge, and just shrugged and said "it's good as it is"...

Solvable but not that important...

Would make more sense with smaller letters but that is a whole other thing...

Call me crazy but I prefered the dark scroller against the snow scene :) but yea pmgs are pretty useless in ordinary circumstances in mode 2/F unless you invert the display. MM and X:2 would not be possible without it. Cool technique with the hexagonal grid system, I like the idea of that.

• Like 1

If doing in emulation, probably using NTSC and frame blending would produce something more friendly to YT.

Not sure if the aspect ratio problem is still around with Altirra - can be fixed by enabling Interlace.

Doing conversion to 30fps in Virtualdub before uploading to Youtube produces much better looking videos...

Hmmm... Could Phaeron maybe implement 30fps conversion in Altirra ? ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I come a little late, but lovely sound! I heard something like bass drum, snare and drum's breaks... Is it done with samples?

You should be able to read it here: scroller.asm

Perhaps I missed something, but it seems that there is nothing to download at the moment.

Regards,

Pfeuh

I come a little late, but lovely sound! I heard something like bass drum, snare and drum's breaks... Is it done with samples?

All kudos for the music go to "XLent". It is "Sunset on the moon" taken from Examples folder in RMT music tracker.

To be honest I don't know are there any samples used. Music routine is called three times per frame, that is "only" 150 per second... Doesn't look much, but maybe enough for low frequency sounds.

Perhaps I missed something, but it seems that there is nothing to download at the moment.

Here it is so you don't have to look it up somewhere up there in the topic :)

where_is_the_snow_v1.2.xex

• Like 2

No samples there - the drum is most likely alternating between square wave and poly noise on a single voice, pretty common way of doing a drum sound. At higher playback rate the effect improves.

Remember also, to playback a given waveform at frequency X, the sample rate has to be X * 2.

• Like 1