IGNORED

Art of Atari - book in progress and need help

lapetino

Great Idea. I'll buy one.

Here's an idea: A coffee table book that looks like a Heavy Sixer sitting on the table would be ideal. Replace the "Video Computer System" above the cart slot with the title of the book. Everyone who sees it will pick it up.

It will go well with my copy of "Darth Vader and Son."

Great Idea. I'll buy one.

Here's an idea: A coffee table book that looks like a Heavy Sixer sitting on the table would be ideal. Replace the "Video Computer System" above the cart slot with the title of the book. Everyone who sees it will pick it up.

It will go well with my copy of "Darth Vader and Son."

Fun idea. Not sure if it will be cost-effective for what we're planning, but a super cool idea anyways. Some of the production will depend on the publisher's desires and how it might fit into the other books they have planned. I can't wait to share when things get to the official stage! :) In the meanwhile as that rolls on, if anyone has original art or rare marketing or printed pieces, please contact me (tim at play mova dot org). We would love your help!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yes, thanks for the ping. We are currently in proposal stage with a great publisher (can't say who yet), and that is moving along well. There is also potential to be involved in another Atari book as well, but we'll see on that. Concrete details as soon as I can give them. :)

• Like 6

With being an Atari sudofan , this book will hold some great and memorable times in my childhood and from the looks of things from this thread it's going to be incapsulating and inspiring to all those that will be lucky enough to get a copy and have a read.

I just one or two questions , how many pages will the book hopefully contain? and if it hasn't already being mentioned what size will the book be? Thirdly with being a previsualization designer and graphic designer, I could help you with the presentation of the book, to see what I am talking about please have a look here. Some of my other work in Atari related design "Atari Gamer Magazine"here "Atari ST Gamer Issue 1" here and "Atari ST Gamer issue 2" here

Just to give you some insight to the work I do, and if you need my help, please let me know.

Have a good one and can't wait for this book to arrive, it really is something very special.

Darren.

Edited by Greyfox

With being an Atari sudofan , this book will hold some great and memorable times in my childhood and from the looks of things from this thread it's going to be incapsulating and inspiring to all those that will be lucky enough to get a copy and have a read.

I just one or two questions , how many pages will the book hopefully contain? and if it hasn't already being mentioned what size will the book be? Thirdly with being a previsualization designer and graphic designer, I could help you with the presentation of the book, to see what I am talking about please have a look here. Some of my other work in Atari related design "Atari Gamer Magazine"here "Atari ST Gamer Issue 1" here and "Atari ST Gamer issue 2" here

Just to give you some insight to the work I do, and if you need my help, please let me know.

Have a good one and can't wait for this book to arrive, it really is something very special.

Darren.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, Darren.

Right now we are targeting 200-250 pages, but that could change. Still a long way to go, and a final size hasn't been determined yet. Thanks for the offer for help on the book design. Depending on how things go, it might be either the publisher's designers designing the book in tandem with us (I'm also a creative director and designer), or we will tackle it with a team. But still TBD.

Thanks!

No problems fella, I think a little bit Mis-understood, I wasn't offer to help design the book as I'm sure that's already been done etc, I was talking about a previsualization of it for promotional purposes, to show what the book would look like at retail or advertisement , if that makes sense? If you look at my stuff linked above, it demonstrates what each product looks like cover art in a photo realistic fashion, other than the VCS book, the rest are digital publications.

So I can help show what the final book would look like in the real world type of thing. So if you need any help with either to meet with deadlines or to show what it is going to look like, then drop me a PM.

Kind regards

Darren.

Edited by Greyfox

No problems fella, I think a little bit Mis-understood, I wasn't offer to help design the book as I'm sure that's already been done etc, I was talking about a previsualization of it for promotional purposes, to show what the book would look like at retail or advertisement , if that makes sense? If you look at my stuff linked above, it demonstrates what each product looks like cover art in a photo realistic fashion, other than the VCS book, the rest are digital publications.

So I can help show what the final book would look like in the real world type of thing. So if you need any help with either to meet with deadlines or to show what it is going to look like, then drop me a PM.

Kind regards

Darren.

Ah, that makes sense. I don't think we have any need for pre-vis work on this project, then. It will all be handled by the publisher. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

will this be available for Christmas perhaps ( or better yet sooner )

is there any promotional items

will there be an audio-book ? .... ( ok I guess that would have to be a different project "The Sound of Atari")

any wide shots of the collection of all the material you have been laboring with ?

• 1 month later...

will this be available for Christmas perhaps ( or better yet sooner )

is there any promotional items

will there be an audio-book ? .... ( ok I guess that would have to be a different project "The Sound of Atari")

any wide shots of the collection of all the material you have been laboring with ?

Potentially, yes on promo items.

I am hoping to have some really concrete info to share VERY soon. Sorry for the tease, but things are looking good.

• Like 1

This sounds super exciting.

Here's something to take from similar books in the past. One book called Supercade was quite good. The one thing they messed up was their images from vector graphics arcade games. In their case they took snapshots from an emulator but they forgot to up the emulator's resolution. So what they ended up printing were vector graphics screen-shots that looked like low-resolution raster graphics.

Why is that, Nathan? I'm just curious. I like a lot of aspects of that book.

For a supposed coffee table book, I was incredibly disappointed it didn't have more original material, especially photos - historical photos of arcades, professionally done shots of arcade games (there are hundreds of them gathered each year for California Extreme - so that's not beyond the realm of possibility), rarities, prototypes, artwork, etc. Instead, it was just a ton of bad MAME screenshots and poorly scanned scanned arcade flyers (all easily accessible on the internet). It seemed like the bare minimum of research was done in putting it together. The whole thing seemed like a very lazy effort.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I just saw this: http://www.museumofplay.org/press/releases/2015/12/2449-strong-acquires-atari-design-materials

I'm not sure if you have info on it or not ( guessing maybe you do )

Yes, I do have info on this. Can't say any more until things are official, but there is a connection here! (I was able to see this collection in great detail and there are some amazing pieces as part of it.)

I just saw this: http://www.museumofplay.org/press/releases/2015/12/2449-strong-acquires-atari-design-materials

I'm not sure if you have info on it or not ( guessing maybe you do )

That is Cort. He bought the file cabinets from Atari for something like $5 each and they were filled with this material. He tried to auction off the material for 250k (I think) some years ago but it didn't sell. Much of it was mechanical copies and some was damaged. As far as I could tell the only original 2600 cover artwork he had was Surround.

If you search here or the Internet you will find more info about the auction.

That is Cort. He bought the file cabinets from Atari for something like $5 each and they were filled with this material. He tried to auction off the material for 250k (I think) some years ago but it didn't sell. Much of it was mechanical copies and some was damaged. As far as I could tell the only original 2600 cover artwork he had was Surround.

If you search here or the Internet you will find more info about the auction.

Yep, Cliff Spohn's original Surround art was one of the pieces included, as well as some great spot illustrations of the 2600 console, Dig Dug, and color production art for some of the Nintendo licensed titles. A lot of in-progress production art too -- so, in all, a lot of great art and design in this huge lot.

Yep, Cliff Spohn's original Surround art was one of the pieces included, as well as some great spot illustrations of the 2600 console, Dig Dug, and color production art for some of the Nintendo licensed titles. A lot of in-progress production art too -- so, in all, a lot of great art and design in this huge lot.

It was hard tell what exactly was there from the previews in the Sotheby's auction. Was there any hand painted final artwork besides the Surround piece?

It was hard tell what exactly was there from the previews in the Sotheby's auction. Was there any hand painted final artwork besides the Surround piece?

Yes -- besides Surround, there was one of the 2600 console, some Dig Dug manual illustrations, Nintendo-licensed game art (DK and DK Jr), some football illustrations, and lots of hand-drawn logos, mockups, and much more.