IGNORED

Need help with Intellivision and Channel F video problems

MagnaFarce

I have an Intellivision which outputs a really messed up video, and an Intellivision which puts out a fine video, but doesn't include everything on the screen (e.g. in Pitfall! Pitfall Harry doesn't show up on the screen, but can still be controlled).

I also have a Channel F I've had for a while which turns on, but only outputs a coloured screen. This is the system I'm most wanting to fix since I'm doing a panel about obscure/odd game systems at a small video game convention, and I'd like to be able to include the first programmable ROM cartridge system in the presentation. I've included an entirely too large picture of the board in case that would be helpful.

I figure the problems on both consoles may be similar in nature since they're both video problems, but I have no experience with diagnosing this sort of thing and honestly don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bonus: I also have a Atari Video Pinball unit with a jittery paddle. I replaced the old one with a new one from Best Electronics, but it's still jittery, so I'm wondering now if it's something on the board? If you happen to know, I could use the advice. Picture the board included below because I have one handy and it might be useful.

post-31618-0-07249700-1389286499_thumb.jpg

post-31618-0-82520800-1389286609_thumb.jpg

Intellivision: messed up picture could be due to noise in power supply or simple the brightness switch was moved. Without a picture of the output hard to tell.

The missing items are most likely a video chip or ram issue. But without picture of output hard to tell.

As the channel f was notmodded with an av mod most likely there is a problem with one of the chips starting from cpu.

(There are similar symptoms on other consoles if there are broken ic's)

According to the wiki the intellivision uses sprites, it seems there is a fault on the component creating those sprites. I have had the same with audio and simple replaced the audio chip now it is working again. Have you noticed any other problems on this console or other games properly display sprites? I'm asking because the sprites are generated and managed in memory so if there is a faulty memory bank you may have problems with some games and not with others.

additional info, it seems the intellivision uses additional specific memory for graphics/sprites. This requires proper voltage (5v). So please check if other games are also failing or only a few affected. As told it could be only one part is failing due to aging.

I'll guess you have not the experience in repairing it? If not you should look for a repair service to do so. It is only to replace one or two components and it is working fine again.

Yeah, I don't have much experience with repairs yet. It's something that I want to be able to do, though, so I'm trying my hand at some of the extra consoles I have around. I can solder to some extent, so most of the problem right now is diagnosing the problems. I figure the more I fix things the more I'll figure out what the common problems are, and the easier it will be for me to fix things up.

Anyway, thanks for all the info! I'll test out some other games and read up on the different components and see if I can fix this thing.