IGNORED

What Do You Think Will Happen To Last Gen's Games?

DaytonaUSA

You can't sue. You gave that right away when you agreed to the EULA.

Well, that's going to depend on the state/country you live in and whether or not the laws in those states will hold a EULA that bypasses your legal rights as enforcable. But for the majority of the US at the very least, you're probably going to be SOL for all but the most extreme cases. Those clauses in EULAs are like wishlists by the corps that write them and they're going to hope most people will just give up and not bother challenging it.

My thought is if a person is desperate to play a particular game, even if the Xbox 360 is no longer supported on Live, and there aren't any physical copies available, that person will hack an old console and play any game they feel like. Can anyone here name one system out now that they can't play every single game ever made for either via emulation or hacking the system? Honestly I don't understand where this great fear is coming from. history has shown us. You're worried about nothing. Once the dreaded scenario finally happens, that is Live access is no longer supported on the Xbox 360. Do some Google searches and find out what your best options are. You know there will be some. You aren't going to lose your entire library. It'll be ok.

When physical copies no longer exist for modern consoles, are people expected to hack their console whenever it's abandoned? People shouldn't have to hack anything to play the games they purchased.

There's a lot of things people shouldn't have to do. No one said you would have to anyways. Hit the forums up when one of these non available DLC scenarios actually happens and we'll discuss it when it happens. Maybe then we can make intelligent conversation instead of just going around in circles assuming and speculating. How many times has this topic been brought up anyways? About a dozen in the last year? There's no clear answer because unfortunately no one here can see into the future. In the end though, history has show the video game hoarders, they have nothing to worry about if they want to play a particular game (or 100 particular games) in the future. I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it right now.

There's a lot of things people shouldn't have to do.

What does that have to do with people being able to play a game that they have purchased?

Hit the forums up when one of these non available DLC scenarios actually happens and we'll discuss it when it happens. Maybe then we can make intelligent conversation instead of just going around in circles assuming and speculating. How many times has this topic been brought up anyways? About a dozen in the last year? There's no clear answer because unfortunately no one here can see into the future.

We don't have to see into the future. If it wasn't for the huge uproar in 2013, used game sales would have already been in trouble and it's pretty clear to anyone who is paying attention that the death of physical media is one of the next things on the list for greedy game companies to accomplish, at least with certain types of consoles. All these companies have to do is make it seem like a sweet enough deal and the majority will accept it.

In the end though, history has show the video game hoarders, they have nothing to worry about if they want to play a particular game (or 100 particular games) in the future. I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it right now.

When has history shown that download-only console games that only work when connected to the Internet will be playable when the console has been abandoned? Are you from the future?

I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it right now.

I don't believe that anyone is losing sleep over it. Are you having trouble sleeping because you're worrying that other people might be losing sleep that they're not actually losing?

• Like 1

What history? The Xbox? That's pretty much the extent of past precedence that we have here for past generations that's applicable. I don't see why that should somehow inspire confidence that future and much more complex and secure closed platforms will be cracked open to a similar degree.

The Xbox and the Wii could easily end up as the exception rather that the norm for their ease, user friendliness, and wide range of capabilities that homebrew authors opened up long before they were even replaced. 360 & PS3 modding is no where close and may never be.

Edited by Atariboy

"What Do You Think Will Happen To Last Gen's Games?"

As of right now:

Sony will be streaming their old stuff for a subscription price. With Microsoft you will still need an Xbox 360 to play all of last gens games. Nintendo offers a transfer from Wii to Wii U.

The problem is that consoles have tried to become PC's a little too quick for some people.

I love new consoles but in reality, the new consoles we buy today are pre-built custom made PC's that are locked down and fire up games instantly. That's all they are. They also have proprietary IP so you can keep buying their consoles over and over again just to play another Halo or Gran Turismo game. I know I do.

I'm surprised EA hasn't though about making a console. :woozy:

Playing Devil's Advocate: When I purchased a boxed retail edition of 'fill in the blank', I purchased the rights to play that copy. Then my kids scratch the he!! out of the disk. Because of said scratches I can no longer access the data on disc. No company is responsible to get me a new disc. In my example it was up to me to take better care of my disc, and in the OP's example it was up to the purchaser to back up their information (unless you own a Nintendo console....then I guess you're out of luck! LOL). Either way, it's not the seller's responsibility.

My thought is if a person is desperate to play a particular game, even if the Xbox 360 is no longer supported on Live, and there aren't any physical copies available, that person will hack an old console and play any game they feel like. Can anyone here name one system out now that they can't play every single game ever made for either via emulation or hacking the system? Honestly I don't understand where this great fear is coming from. history has shown us. You're worried about nothing. Once the dreaded scenario finally happens, that is Live access is no longer supported on the Xbox 360. Do some Google searches and find out what your best options are. You know there will be some. You aren't going to lose your entire library. It'll be ok.

The fact that I can cheat my way out of it does little to comfort me. I find it distressing that we even need to have this conversation. The ability of a vendor to take your purchase away from you after the fact undermines the very foundation of commerce. It's no different than KitchenAid showing up at my front door saying "We're taking that mixer back. Thanks for the $300. Oh, and since we're so awesome, you can re-buy it next year for $50."

The fact that there will probably be ways around this stuff doesn't make it better. While there are many things I do that I don't think I should have to (lock my doors at night, buy overpriced insurance) I accept that they have a purpose in the world and are more practical than their alternative (being robbed, getting a ticket). The alternative to accepting the new "disposable games" reality is to insist we have the same buying ability we've always had. As the person with the money, I think we should have the power to insist that.

What the publishers are saying is that they've decided we as consumers now have fewer rights. I don't accept that. The publishers are offering nothing in compensation for the ownership they're attempting to take away. Knowing the terrain is changing that much, I can't take much comfort in thinking a hack will solve all my problems.

• Like 1

What does that have to do with people being able to play a game that they have purchased?

Just a simple fact I didn't know if you were aware of. Confirmation that you're not alone, figuratively speaking anyways.

All these companies have to do is make it seem like a sweet enough deal and the majority will accept it.

If consumers accept it, and you don't then it sucks for you. Regardless, you have no clue. You could be 82 and in diapers when physical media goes away.

When has history shown that download-only console games that only work when connected to the Internet will be playable when the console has been abandoned? Are you from the future?

Hu? Errr no I'm not from the future. Name me one console to date that you can't play most if not every released game for. You can start with the Atari 2600 that was release over 30 years ago and never had internet connection. Does anyone think that because these game are DLC that somehow the data is lost forever at some point? People have already pointed out in this very thread info that should ease their mind about that. People still hoard games, it's just moved on into the digital age. A couple hundred games used to take up a book shelf, now they can fit in your pocket. Pretty sweet really.

I don't believe that anyone is losing sleep over it. Are you having trouble sleeping because you're worrying that other people might be losing sleep that they're not actually losing?

When you see the same people, posting the same scenarios all of which are hypothetical, and in many cases already proven to be completely wrong in every thread like this that pops up, you start to get the feeling that they are seriously bothered by it. Just trying to ease some minds. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I hope that the servers are up forever, and all our DLC is available til the day we die. I'll survive if in 10 years that doesn't happen though, there will be other avenues for the same data...well unless I die before then, then I won't survive anything because I'll already be dead.

Hu? Errr no I'm not from the future. Name me one console to date that you can't play most if not every released game for. You can start with the Atari 2600 that was release over 30 years ago and never had internet connection. Does anyone think that because these game are DLC that somehow the data is lost forever at some point? People have already pointed out in this very thread info that should ease their mind about that. People still hoard games, it's just moved on into the digital age. A couple hundred games used to take up a book shelf, now they can fit in your pocket. Pretty sweet really.

If hackers will be able to copy the games and make them work without being connected to the Internet, the games may not be lost, but good luck to people who dive into that end of the emulator pool that is full of tricks and viruses. It's not as easy as downloading Stella and hopping over to Rom Hunter's Collection.

but good luck to people who dive into that end of the emulator pool that is full of tricks and viruses.

Again with the doomsday assumption and speculation. I dunno, I suggest some chamomile tea and a hot bath at this point, I suspect we have a bit of a wait ahead of us before any of this is relevant. Xbox 360 will be around for awhile.

The ability of a vendor to take your purchase away from you after the fact undermines the very foundation of commerce. It's no different than KitchenAid showing up at my front door saying "We're taking that mixer back. Thanks for the $300. Oh, and since we're so awesome, you can re-buy it next year for $50."

Really? I'd have to personally disagree with that analogy. No one is coming into anyone's home (either physically or electronically) and removing the game from your hard drive. So it's pretty different. All of the situations painted by people worrying about this involve "what if I switch consoles" or "what if my HDD breaks or gets wiped". All very valid. But I can't help compare it to "what if my floppy gets a magnet set on it" or "what if my disc gets scratched". Maybe the likelihood of loosing your game has increased due to fragility of HDDs and modern consoles, but the basis is the same (to me at least).

When physical copies no longer exist for modern consoles, are people expected to hack their console whenever it's abandoned? People shouldn't have to hack anything to play the games they purchased.

I had this same conversation with Adam Koralik (Youtuber), who refuses to buy digital games. The answer is simple, the publishers don't care. Same as they had no interest in backwards compatibility, because in both cases it's a minute % of people who demand these things. The vast majority of gamers do not go back and play their old games. Nearly 100% do who frequent retro game forums and such, but they are in the minority of consumers. So yes, we'll have to pirate the games on modded systems. That royally sucks, but it's the nature of the beast.

We don't have to see into the future. If it wasn't for the huge uproar in 2013, used game sales would have already been in trouble and it's pretty clear to anyone who is paying attention that the death of physical media is one of the next things on the list for greedy game companies to accomplish, at least with certain types of consoles. All these companies have to do is make it seem like a sweet enough deal and the majority will accept it.

The uproar aside, publishers are going to want physical media as long as Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Toys R Us, etc. exist. You cannot discount casual shoppers, doesn't happen as much for sure, but it still does.

If hackers will be able to copy the games and make them work without being connected to the Internet, the games may not be lost, but good luck to people who dive into that end of the emulator pool that is full of tricks and viruses. It's not as easy as downloading Stella and hopping over to Rom Hunter's Collection.

You'd be surprised at how few people actually use emulators, on PC or console or mobile device. Even something as simple as installing Stella and downloading roms is foreign to them. Again, it's the hardcore gamers who are doing that. I would bet most "gamers" wouldn't even know what an emulator was these days. My point is that the people using emulators are not dumb, they can handle it. Sure it's a pain because you have to put files into specific folders and such, it's not like running one single rom file.

Really? I'd have to personally disagree with that analogy. No one is coming into anyone's home (either physically or electronically) and removing the game from your hard drive. So it's pretty different. All of the situations painted by people worrying about this involve "what if I switch consoles" or "what if my HDD breaks or gets wiped". All very valid. But I can't help compare it to "what if my floppy gets a magnet set on it" or "what if my disc gets scratched". Maybe the likelihood of loosing your game has increased due to fragility of HDDs and modern consoles, but the basis is the same (to me at least).

A valid perspective. My main fear, in addition to hardware failure, are these companies doing a silent killswitch, such as Sony removing OtherOS or XBL removing a game from your library because the rights expired. We're still too tied into DRM to believe that our games are safe from Mother Ship retrieval.

But yeah, if you're just worrying about console swaps and HDD failures, my analogy doesn't translate.

• Like 1