IGNORED

The Original Computer Module

doctorclu

Correction: The dev systems were called Black Whales after modification. The original KC was called a Blue Whale.

http://intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/keyboard_tech.html

Do you have any more info about the Black Whale version? The one I have is different than any others I've seen pictured. Not that there a lot of pictures of the inside of a Keyboard Component online anyway. It was one of the three that the family of Papa Intellivision had.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3491.jpg

Here's a bunch of pics from when I was working on mine.

Those pictures were awesome, but this one struck me when I saw the serial number "400766". I wonder if this was 766th in the production line, or if there was (unlikely) 400,766 of these.

Those pictures were awesome, but this one struck me when I saw the serial number "400766". I wonder if this was 766th in the production line, or if there was (unlikely) 400,766 of these.

I think there are pics of two different Keyboard Components there. The one I still have and the one I sold to cmart. I can't imagine they made more than a couple thousand of them and porobably less than that.

I think there are pics of two different Keyboard Components there. The one I still have and the one I sold to cmart. I can't imagine they made more than a couple thousand of them and porobably less than that.

According to the Blue Sky Rangers website, only 4000 of these were made. After the computer was 'officialy' canceled owners were given the chance to send it back for a refund. If they wanted to keep it, they had to sign a release indicating that they knew Matell was not going to support or add on to the module at all anymore. No telling how many of these 4000 got returned and destroyed. There may only be a thousand or so out there.

According to the Blue Sky Rangers website, only 4000 of these were made. After the computer was 'officialy' canceled owners were given the chance to send it back for a refund. If they wanted to keep it, they had to sign a release indicating that they knew Matell was not going to support or add on to the module at all anymore. No telling how many of these 4000 got returned and destroyed. There may only be a thousand or so out there.

This is one of those occasions that having a time machine would've been quite handy :-D

It's a shame so few of these remain and that the value for even partially non-working examples is in the $3000 - $4000+ range. It would be wonderful if someone did a modern recreation like the Apple I, Altair, ZX81, etc., but I don't ever see it happening for a variety of reasons.

• Like 2