IGNORED

PSP UMD Movies - Who Collects These?!

Metal Jesus

Sony tried their best to sell movies on the PSP and the UMD format, but it never took off. I take a look at the pros & cons of the format and try to figure out who the heck would want to collect these?!

Does anybody here have a large UMD collection? You can see my collection here if curious:

http://jetcitycakes.com/deliciouslibrary/pspumdmovies.html

I collect vinyl. I have absolutely no use for "Universal" [sic] Media Discs.

With old vinyl, you get a piece of history... actual good history, not Sony's attempt at revisionist history. With old and new vinyl, you get very cool packaging, arguably better sound (I stress arguably; I myself don't hear the difference), and a piece of media playable on many different machines, including machines still on the market. None of this can be said about the UMD. The format was trumped for quality before it was even out of the gate, trumped for convenience shortly afterward, and plays only on a discontinued system.

So I think the comparison is a tad unfair. :)

CED's are interesting beasts. They were RCA's answer to the laserdisc. Like records, CED's require a stylus and physical contact to play, which is one of the reasons why they're getting incredibly rare. They also never got a real foothold in the marketplace, not even to the point that laserdiscs did, which is another reason for their rarity. Quite a few movies did see release on CED, so there is plenty for collectors to pursue if they are so inclined.

I have one CED, bought sort-of on accident, but no player to play it on. I have a handful of laserdiscs, which I have a more sentimental attachment to. I will also be the first to admit both CED's and laserdiscs are about as useful and justifiable as UMD's at this point. Although, the "cool packaging" argument can be made for laserdiscs, especially 2-disc sets with nice gatefold jackets. Plus the whole "special edition, loads of extras" thingy started with laserdiscs, and there are still some bits on laserdisc, bonus features and even whole movies, that have yet to see release on any newer format.

Something for the trivia buffs: The very first movie to get the "letterbox" treatment for a home video release was Amarcord. The release wasn't on VHS, nor on laserdisc, but on CED.

• Like 1

I have a few UMD movies. Got them just for the novelty really and as others mentioned because they were cheap.

It's kind of fun to watch Tron on a PSP. Although really I don't focus on the movie too much. Just kind of have it on for the ambiance I guess.

Same here. The few UMD movies I had I would play while at work. Wouldn't really watch them, but listen to them to pass the time as I worked on the computer. Listening to Alien is certainly something everyone should do at least once. Not being able to see the action makes you nearly crazy, haha.

I have 5 or 6 UMD movies. An episode of the Twilight Zone, both National Treasures, I think I have the Day After Tomorrow, and I think I have Casablanca on this format and maybe one other UMD video.

Not much material was released for this that interested me. Mostly just modern junk from the past two decades.

I liked UMD movies and bought several when they were new. The rise of digital downloads and the lack of ways to play the movies on anything but the PSP killed the format IMO. They were on par with DVD prices but you only got it for a handheld and usually without bonus features.

It seemed cool when PSP first came out but ended up not going anywhere.

I liked UMD movies and bought several when they were new. The rise of digital downloads and the lack of ways to play the movies on anything but the PSP killed the format IMO. They were on par with DVD prices but you only got it for a handheld and usually without bonus features.

It seemed cool when PSP first came out but ended up not going anywhere.

This makes a lot of sense. Digital downloads and streaming have really hurt the disk based media. I was preaching it 8 years ago. Blu-Ray and HD DVD were fighting the wrong war! LOL

Has anybody spotted a location for obtaining cheap UMD movies online?

I'm talking $1-2 sealed.

Hmmm Not that cheap new, but I've bought a few off Amazon < $5.

Some examples...

http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Summer-UMD-Robert-August/dp/B0009K7RRU/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389422396&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Grudge-UMD-Sarah-Michelle-Gellar/dp/B0009FU10K/ref=sr_1_8?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389422396&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Exorcism-Emily-Rose-UMD-PSP/dp/B000BTJDGM/ref=sr_1_21?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389422494&sr=1-21

Endless Summer was another UMD I snagged just because I've always loved that flick. The perfect movie to play, kicked back drinking brews in the summer time. Another option is to check lots on eBay. Sometime you can pick up larger lots of new title for closer to around a couple bucks apiece.