IGNORED

New Harmony product: Harmony Encore

batari

In short: The ROM is not available and never will be.

Woohoo, motivation for a new project! (Ebivision's inability to release their Pac-Man clone was what made me decide to make Pac26. Granted, Boulder Dash is a little more demanding and not a game I actually liked back in the day, but if it's not my motivation, perhaps it'll be someone else's.)

In short: The ROM is not available and never will be.

Yeah, Atari, Activision and all those companies that made commercial games back in the 70's and 80's sure were nice when they gave us all the ROMs of their games for free... wait...!

Not that I want this to happen to BD or anything (I really don't), but there are tons of people out there with the necessary tools, so... never say never.

Back to the topic: I'm very interested in the new Harmony, whatever it's called. The idea of having more content-based games (as opposed to score-based or difficulty-based games with limited graphics/sounds/levels/etc.) is very exciting. As a programmer I feel even more tempted to dive into 2600 development.

Edited by tokumaru

Yeah, Atari, Activision and all those companies that made commercial games back in the 70's and 80's sure were nice when they gave us all the ROMs of their games for free... wait...!

Not that I want this to happen to BD or anything (I really don't), but there are tons of people out there with the necessary tools, so... never say never.

But in this case, Stella reports the IP address of anyone who tries to run a dumped and hacked BD ROM. Stella also slows the computer down to a crawl and a pop-up message is displayed that promises to heal the computer once the correct password is entered. The unique password will be provided once $250 has been sent to Andrew Davie and Thomas Jentzsch.

This post is false, untrue, fictitious, pretend, and not real. But who knows? It could be real. Do you want to take that chance?

• Like 1

I really can't tell if you're serious! Either way, I guess people really went all out on this game, huh? Still, Stella is the dominant emulator now, but who knows what's gonna happen in 10 years? I'm just guessing here, but I bet people could even hack the new Harmony in case it has a similar protection (I certainly hope not, it would be terrible if a misdetection bricked someone's cart!). Again, not that I'm hoping for any of this, I just think that "never" is a strong word to use. When Nolan Bushnell founded Atari he certainly didn't think we'd be playing his games for free on the way to work on mobile devices! =)

there are tons of people out there with the necessary tools, so... never say never.

There are, but must you really even suggest such a thing? It's one thing to piss in Micro$oft's coffee***, but don't suggest doing it to a community that mostly does all of this for the love of the hobby.

Consider your asses lucky that 250 copies were negotiated.

***EDIT: Just to clarify, after already getting a PM, this seems to be the general thought, not mine! I have actually lost money in a professional way, due to current videogame piracy.

• Like 1

Sadly I bought mine in October but as I said, there would have to be a really good reason to persuade me to upgrade. Right now there is no good reason and will not be for some time to come. Just do not panic please. The worst that can happen (and is partly happening reading some comments over here) is that this new Harmony gets hyped so that noone wants the standard one. But that is not my business I don't make them...

Sadly I bought mine in October but as I said, there would have to be a really good reason to persuade me to upgrade. Right now there is no good reason and will not be for some time to come. Just do not panic please. The worst that can happen (and is partly happening reading some comments over here) is that this new Harmony gets hyped so that noone wants the standard one. But that is not my business I don't make them...

There is a reason for the update to the Harmony.

It will become apparent. Things get redesigned.

Just like Atari 2600 was redesigned into the 7800.

Old parts are no longer available, replacement parts have larger capacities (seen any 512 MB SD card for sale?)

When the original model runs out we will have this new model that does everything the original did and more!

Just wondering if the hardware upgrade has been finalised? The reason I'm asking is that I would love to have a cart that would contain a modern (and easily obtainable) version of the High Score Saver. I realise that the High Score cart plugs into the second joystick port but surely some industrious programmers in the future could utilise a HSC built in to the Harmony? It would also give all you ubiquitous ROM hackers another thing to hack into all those old ROMs! Just a thought. I've always loved the idea of saving my scores for Space Invaders et al to cart. :)

I think it would be a lot cooler if someone else did their own competing version of it, though... you know, just like Thomas and cdw did with Star Castle. Gonna go out on a limb and guess they didn't get the current Cinematronics rights-holders' sign-off on that (kind of doubt DSW did either, for his version.)

What High Score Saver are you talking about? Link?

I don't have link to hand but I was thinking of the one the was (is?) being sold by Golden ax (looks like a keyring). Are there others? I don't suppose it matters much as implementing such a thing in the Harmony would require it's own development as it couldn't utilise the second joy port. The games that would (in theory) support it would be writing back to the Harmony cart itself rather than another piece of hardware... :)

If you use Mr SQLs idea I've already got a great logo for it!

You can play games on tape without an audio input jack, but first someone has to dump the binary from tape; what if you can't dump the binary?

:) :idea: If someone releases a VCS game on tape and holds back the binary a la BoulderDash, an audio input jack would need to be added to the next edition of the Harmony to make it compatible.

You can play games on tape without an audio input jack, but first someone has to dump the binary from tape; what if you can't dump the binary?

:) :idea: If someone releases a VCS game on tape and holds back the binary a la BoulderDash, an audio input jack would need to be added to the next edition of the Harmony to make it compatible.

You just use wav2bin to make a binary of a 2600 tape, or bin2wav to make a tape out of a binary (2K or 4K).

I don't get what you are saying. :)