IGNORED

New Harmony product: Harmony Encore

batari

The new Harmony Encore SD cartridge is better than the original Harmony Encore and at a cheaper price (and the new version is shipping now)

I was comparing the old Harmony Encore SD cartridge which has the more expensive mini USB port with a spring loaded SD card slot. The reason for the new Harmony Encore SD cartridge hardware design was to maintain the same speed, and quality level while at the same time making the product cheaper in price to be more comparable in price to its competition, like the much cheaper Atari 2600 UnoCart. The Atari 2600 UnoCart sells for $40 and the new redesigned Harmony Encore SD cartridge sells for only around $15 more at $54.99 (Or $76.99 plus shipping when optional items are included with the order on the official Harmony website). The new redesigned Harmony Encore has the same specs, uses a lower cost USB chip by switching to a micro USB design. Also a new push-pull SD card slot, which most of the time means better quality then a spring loaded SD card slot (no spring to wear out in a push-pull SD card slot). The printed circuit board was re-engineered for a smaller size that is able to support chips in several different packages (lower priced chips). I was also informed that even though the price is cheaper, the speed of the chips at the very minimum are the same speed as the original Harmony Encore design, and sometimes faster chips are used when compared to the original. I was also informed that the Harmony Encore redesign is also just as reliable as the old design.     

Real world testing

Under real world conditions I prefer the new Harmony Encore SD cartridge design since the new lower cost SD card slot is a better and more reliable card slot. All the SDHC cards I put in this version of the Harmony Encore including the 32GB SDHC SanDisk Extreme Pro works perfectly fine. In fact, this lower cost Harmony Encore is better than the original since it has the push/pull SD card slot that is not spring loaded (spring loaded card slots can wear out). The $129.95 ATARIMAX SD cartridges use this same style of push/pull SD card slot (it’s a more reliable SD card slot).

This new Harmony Encore SD cartridge with the micro USB port works perfectly fine while using the Windows Professional 64 bit operating system (A new and different 64 bit driver is offered with the product). In addition the compatibility issue with some high-end SDHC cards has been fixed with a new design on the cartridge circuit board (one component just needed swapped out and all new orders ship with this new design that should offer close to 100% compatibility with all name brand SD and SDHC cards that use the FAT or FAT32 file format).

The best part is the new Harmony Encore SD cartridge is more reliable and faster than prior versions while at the same time costing a little less to manufacture. The Harmony Encore SD cartridge is $54.99 plus shipping and fully loaded with options for $76.99 plus shipping. While the Atari 2600 UNO cart is only $40, while testing the 2600 UNO cart I noticed that the main title screen shacks and is not stable, while the Harmony Encore SD cartridge has a stable main title screen and also comes with a micro USB port. While there are pluses and minus to both the Harmony Encore and the 2600 UNO cart. For only $15 more in cost overall the Harmony Encore SD cartridge is a better product.

Harmony Encore | Erstwhile Technologies (square.site)

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 1 year later...

I got into the Harmony carts early, so much so that I have 2 versions, but sadly, neither is an Encore. So to avoid continuing to buy soon to be upgraded carts, would now be a good time to buy an Encore cart, or should I wait until the next upgrade? They seem to happen often, and I'm not smart enough to do them myself... Any suggestions would be appreciated, I see they are on sale right now!

On 3/24/2021 at 5:18 PM, HDTV1080P said:

The new Harmony Encore SD cartridge is better than the original Harmony Encore and at a cheaper price (and the new version is shipping now)

I was comparing the old Harmony Encore SD cartridge which has the more expensive mini USB port with a spring loaded SD card slot. The reason for the new Harmony Encore SD cartridge hardware design was to maintain the same speed, and quality level while at the same time making the product cheaper in price to be more comparable in price to its competition, like the much cheaper Atari 2600 UnoCart. The Atari 2600 UnoCart sells for $40 and the new redesigned Harmony Encore SD cartridge sells for only around $15 more at $54.99 (Or $76.99 plus shipping when optional items are included with the order on the official Harmony website). The new redesigned Harmony Encore has the same specs, uses a lower cost USB chip by switching to a micro USB design. Also a new push-pull SD card slot, which most of the time means better quality then a spring loaded SD card slot (no spring to wear out in a push-pull SD card slot). The printed circuit board was re-engineered for a smaller size that is able to support chips in several different packages (lower priced chips). I was also informed that even though the price is cheaper, the speed of the chips at the very minimum are the same speed as the original Harmony Encore design, and sometimes faster chips are used when compared to the original. I was also informed that the Harmony Encore redesign is also just as reliable as the old design.     

🤔More importantly though, is the new HARMONY ENCORE a WAFER DRIVE? 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, mhodgeshvs said:

I got into the Harmony carts early, so much so that I have 2 versions, but sadly, neither is an Encore. So to avoid continuing to buy soon to be upgraded carts, would now be a good time to buy an Encore cart, or should I wait until the next upgrade? They seem to happen often, and I'm not smart enough to do them myself... Any suggestions would be appreciated, I see they are on sale right now!

I'm still upgrading standard Harmony carts to Encores for $15+shipping, if you want to go that route!

• Like 1

As far as I am aware no other flash cartridge company offers their customers the opportunity to upgrade the internal printed circuit to the latest model. That is real awesome that people can just spend $15 plus shipping to get their existing Harmony cartridge upgraded to a Harmony Encore. Most companies would just require the customer to buy a new cartridge and sell the old one on EBAY if they want to upgrade. I am guessing the upgrade process is just changing out a few components on the circuit board instead of exchanging it for a new Harmony Encore. I only purchased the top of the line Harmony Encore and nothing below that level.     

Edited by HDTV1080P

42 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I hope not. I understand that wafer drives are not as reliable as standard SD cards.

Please also note that there is also a Micro SD version as well, I originally ordered a standard SD version but was sent a Micro SD version instead but they both do the same thing so I just said 'f' it, and just kept it instead of exchanging it. The only drawback to it is that Micro SD cards get lost easier than standard-size ones do, and, if you're not careful, it could get lost in your carpet fibers and inadvertently vacuumed up if gone not found for a while and if you do your housekeeping. Fortunately my vacuum is a bagless upright so I'll eventually find it if it get caught in it. 

4 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

The only drawback to it is that Micro SD cards get lost easier than standard-size ones do,

Yes. I'm seeing too many products that have reduced size dimensions - to the point they become impractical or require extra effort to manage and use. MicroSD cards are but only one example. There's these tiny USB keydrives that barely stick out of the port. You have to pick up the laptop in order to get a proper grip on it to pull it out.

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Yes. I'm seeing too many products that have reduced size dimensions - to the point they become impractical or require extra effort to manage and use. MicroSD cards are but only one example. There's these tiny USB keydrives that barely stick out of the port. You have to pick up the laptop in order to get a proper grip on it to pull it out.

Kinda like some of my Bluetooth receivers for my wireless mouse I use or like for using wireless headphones or speakers that run on Bluetooth, they are quite small, but then again, they are quite capable, hey it's not like it used to be (like the theory for boobs, you know "... the bigger the better"). :) 

20 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Also full size SD cards have a larger surface area and can have higher capacity then microSD cards. But with the popularity of Smartphones and other devices, microSD cards one day might replace full size SD cards, and people might just need to use a adapter if they have a SD card slot.

While I understand the need and desire for small microSD cards for miniature products like Smartphones, I prefer the Harmony Encore cartridges with the full size SD card slot. Sometimes microSD cards can be too small and get lost. MicroSD cards are more ideal for Smartphones where a consumer purchases a 1TB or larger size and just leaves it plugged into the Smartphone for 4K video camera storage with a USB cable for transferring data to a external computer. It is when one starts to remove and insert the microSD card at lot, is when its harder to do when compared to SD cards.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I like regular size SD cards also whenever possible. Those tiny ones are just too small to handle; maybe OK for something where you rarely remove them once installed. I don't yet own a harmony, but I could probably live with the smaller one if necessary.

The only real problem I've found with using an adapter is sometimes you must occasionally pull out and reinsert the microSD card, especially when used in a portable device that gets bumped around.

Also, I believe you can get regular size SD cards with wifi, but no microSD cards with wifi (although it looks like they now have a microSD adapter with wifi).

On 1/27/2023 at 7:14 PM, HDTV1080P said:

As far as I am aware no other flash cartridge company offers their customers the opportunity to upgrade the internal printed circuit to the latest model. That is real awesome that people can just spend $15 plus shipping to get their existing Harmony cartridge upgraded to a Harmony Encore. Most companies would just require the customer to buy a new cartridge and sell the old one on EBAY if they want to upgrade. I am guessing the upgrade process is just changing out a few components on the circuit board instead of exchanging it for a new Harmony Encore. I only purchased the top of the line Harmony Encore and nothing below that level.     

Thanks for the info!

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, mario64 said:

Is this the correct link to order Harmony Encore? https://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html

Page doesn't mention encore so I wanted to confirm. Also, this cart can play ARM-based homebrew games such as Galagon, etc?

Thank you

Yes, click order at the top and then the continue button. After that, it will bring up the store page to both versions of the cart.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, Prizrak said:

@batari what form do I fill out to do the Harmony upgrade? I've got a regular harmony and it was purchased maybe 5 years ago

Just send Batari a message through this site and he'll respond to you about the upgrade. I just to need to have the money to send him my Harmony cart to have him upgrade it. Adulting sucks