IGNORED

New Harmony product: Harmony Encore

batari

Boulderdash is all about how much RAM is available, not as much about capabilities necessarily. Also, Krokodile debuted for twice the price that Harmony did and supported a fraction of the games.

Harmony runs maybe 99.5% (if not more) of what's out there. Some have complained about this missing 0.5% or so, saying I should have gone for 110% (to totally future-proof it), but that's not good engineering. I doubt I would ever hear these requests from engineers. Hey, even I didn't understand when I started engineering school. All I'm saying is that the most successful products don't try to do it all, they make a compromise with cost, capabilities and production time. If you go for everything, you'd most likely end up with vaporware or something that costs $200 or more, and end up with features that nobody will ever use. I didn't want to fall into that trap.

That said, Melody already can support 4 MB via it's onboard EEPROM. Only one game ever used an EEPROM and even that uses less than 32k of the 1MB chip I fit on there. As of yet, nobody has ever asked about using 4MB. I doubt anyone ever will.

• Like 5

so, I've 2 questions..

1. will Boulder Dash work on the 7800 Concerto Cart?

2. is there another way to stay informed about a release date for the Cart instead of daily visiting this subforum (i.e. pre-order list or similar)?

thank you :)

Edited by hermi69

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, I just made a ROM image that uses all 512K the new cart would allow. I guess I'll be buying one of the new carts once they are available.

Are there any other changes in the Harmony Encore besides increased RAM/ROM/EEPROM limits? Is the ARM chip still clocked at the same rate?

I've been meaning to buy one of these for a year now. I was just looking for some information on the product and ordering and such, when I found this thread. So I'm guessing I should wait now.

So is there any new timeframe as to when this will be available for purchase?

Also, how exactly does the downloading process work? Do we just save ROMs onto the SD card in our computer? Is it as simple as that?

Thanks for the info!

Also, how exactly does the downloading process work? Do we just save ROMs onto the SD card in our computer? Is it as simple as that?

Exactly.

Most effort will result from organizing 100s or 1000s of ROM on the card in a way that suits your personal preferences.

Exactly.

Most effort will result from organizing 100s or 1000s of ROM on the card in a way that suits your personal preferences.

Nice. Even someone no so computer literate as myself can handle that.

So does this thing play all the Starpath games as well? In other words, we don't need that CD or a Supercharger anymore? I have them. But I never have it hooked up.

So does this thing play all the Starpath games as well? In other words, we don't need that CD or a Supercharger anymore? I have them. But I never have it hooked up.

Yes. Supercharger games as well.

The older one plays 99.9% of everything created (there is a 64K multi cart that you can't get the file for anyway, and a demo that uses more RAM than was in the old Harmony), and the new one will play games larger than 32K (up to 512K).

One thing to point out: the Harmony Cartridge does not sort the files by names. That means that you have to upload them all at once if you want them to be sorted as on your computer. If you add something later, it is going to be displayed at the end of the list. Just what I have noticed so far...

Rather than physically save hundreds of ROMs at a time, has someone compiled them somewhere so we can download them all at once?

If not, I take it I would need to save them alphabetically. Is that right? The YouTube video I watched showed a menu that was divided by each letter of the alphabet. So if I wanted any "P' titles, I'd just go to "P" and that would open up another menu.

Edited by IHATETHEBEARS

• 2 weeks later...