IGNORED

What *don't* you miss about CRTs?

BillyHW

We used to have a 32" that was just a beast getting up and down the stairs. The 37" LCD replacement is easy as pie to lift. Progress.

I think my 27" was around 80 lbs! I remember having to carry it up the stairs for one apartment and almost having it end up on top of me when my foot slipped on the carpet. My 37" LCD was easily half the weight and I think my new 42" LED TV is about the same even though it's larger.

The energy guide label for my new 42" LED says it costs around $17 per year to operate. The 27" was probably at least 3 times that. I think the Energy Guide label on the 32" LED in my RV said $7 per year.

My 32" and 42" are also smart TVs I can use for Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc...

Price wise... when adjusting the price of the 27" for inflation I think I spent slightly more on the 42" than the 27" but it's way bigger and 3D.

There was a little lag on the 37" LCD but if there is any on the LED units, it's small or I haven't noticed.

The contrast on the 37" LCD wasn't as good as a CRT. Blacks weren't really black and dark scenes in movies kinda sucked.

The 42" LED is a lot better.

I definitely don't miss the heat from the CRT. The LCD still ran pretty warm but the LED units run pretty cool.

I'm not missing the CRT at all.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 2

lets keep in mind that LED is just the backlight technology, its still a LCD (and how they are allowed to market it otherwise is simply amazing) That being said they are going to have newer faster stronger controllers, decoders and LCD screens as technology marches along

• Like 1

And now Goodwill won't take perfectly functional CRTs, I just discovered when trying to give a 19" Sanyo away today.

I definitely hate on the size and bulk; I've got a 27" Trinitron that I love; moving it up and down stairs is something that, even if I have 2 people, I would only want to do every five years or less. It's a nightmare.

And definitely with the power consumption. Related, the way the lights temporarily blink in a room when you turn a big CRT TV on, yikes.

All that said, I love Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop 2 on Saturn, and the Wii never got a Virtua Cop collection. So I gots to keep my CRT forever. :)

What does Goodwill take anymore? I won't even take anything much to them anymore. As far as the question goes, definitely the weight and size. Also the fact that you can't adjust a lot of things on later sets.

What does Goodwill take anymore? I won't even take anything much to them anymore. As far as the question goes, definitely the weight and size. Also the fact that you can't adjust a lot of things on later sets.

Was at our local GoodWill yesterday and saw every CRT TV marked at $.49. :lol:

I think weight and size wins this competition.

Another thing I didn't like is that they were flaky. They seem to break more often than the flatscreens. They start to pop or crackle then give out. Then you'd have to get a new one and then "properly dispose" of the beast that failed. (Or in my case, just stash them in the garage forever. :skull: )

• Like 1

I was at the flagship Goodwill here on Sunday. Guess what? Not a single CRT in the store. No way to test the various PS1 and Gamecubes they had. It's the end of an era.

On a side note, they DID have a few 5200 carts ($2.99 each) and several 2600 carts ($2.99 each) on the shelves. Haven't seen those at GW in a loooong time. All commons, but still cool to see.

I don't miss the weight, and the heat they generate in the summertime. In the winter, my Sony WEGA keeps the man cave nice and warm, but in the summer....I sometimes bring my old stuff into the livingroom because the room does not become 100 degrees just because of some giant multi-filament light bulb blasting light at 10,000 volts and low amperage. I also don't miss having to much about with convergance, rotation, pincushion, and geometry all the time as well.

I think weight and size wins this competition.

Another thing I didn't like is that they were flaky. They seem to break more often than the flatscreens. They start to pop or crackle then give out. Then you'd have to get a new one and then "properly dispose" of the beast that failed. (Or in my case, just stash them in the garage forever. :skull: )

In high school, my friends and I found our school and all kinds of people just throwing out huge crt monitors and tvs all the time. Nobody wanted to go through all the trouble of hauling them away, so we took them off their hands. We found many creative ways to destroy them, some of which I can guarantee you wouldn't believe me about. I will tell you this though, we re-enacted the famous Office Space scene a few times, music and all. Good times. Edited by WispFollower

Last year I was happy to find a Sony Trinitron, about ten years old and still in very good condition, at a thrift store. Short of finding a broadcast monitor, it was just about the perfect "luggable" CRT: 19" tube with a flat screen, support for just about every analog video connector including component, and a myriad ways to adjust the picture.

But yeah, it's a good example that demonstrates what's usually so bad about CRTs. The 19" isn't that heavy, but the 32" I used to have was a pain to move (and the 19" is still much heavier than my similarly-aged 19" LCD monitor). The 19" has a flat screen, which is much nicer than the curved tubes most CRTs have. The 19" has lots of controls for fine-tuning the picture, and I had to use just about every last one of them to get the color and geometry right; that's a luxury most CRTs don't provide.

Still, when they're great, they're great. After I set the Sony up, I discovered just how much I'd been missing the look of nice, big 8-bit and 16-bit graphics on a screen with incredibly deep contrast, absolutely no lag and only minimally-distracting flicker (no more distracting than the TV's already-present 60Hz beat, anyway). LCD technology might have room for improvement, and maybe some day will even offer the contrast ratios and response times that CRTs do. But until then I'll hang on to this Trinitron.

Sure, I don't miss the weight, power, heat, lousy picture etc... but I do miss being able to program my freaking watch!

That CRT oscillating at just the right rate with those flashing lines programmed my watch wirelessly.

Timex.jpg

My model is top row, all the way to the right.

I'm still sporting my data link! Mine is the ironman top row second from the left. I'm a little ashamed to admit I found it on the floor in a mosh pit at a Limp Bizkit / Kid Rock concert. I never need to program it anymore cuz anything It could do my cell phone does better. It did seem so cool when my monitor would flash a bunch of lines and then all my friends phone numbers were in there like magic. I know Timex made an accessory that was for people with flat screens. It was a small device that would plug into your pc you would hold your watch up to it, and it would some how achieve the same effect as a crt. Might be able to find one cheap on ebay these days.

• Like 1

I know Timex made an accessory that was for people with flat screens. It was a small device that would plug into your pc you would hold your watch up to it, and it would some how achieve the same effect as a crt. Might be able to find one cheap on ebay these days.

<GRIN> Yeah, there is an adapter that a guy can get, but cheap it ain't! When A HOLES like this dufus << HERE >> want those prices, they can kiss my you know what! That is twice what the watch originally cost.

That's an awesome watch Dripfree! I miss the way a CRT will just keep going and going like a Timex :)

I miss being able to play games like Voice Enhanced Berzerk and Video Chess on the Plasma set in the Parlour because it drops the signal when it autodetects the scanline count is off and keeps interrupting the game. Glad I can still enjoy them on the CRT in the basement! :)

I miss the intense phosphor trails when the background is black; I miss the backgrounds actually being black. I like the way Plasma glows, but I miss the warmer friendly glow of the CRT and the honeycomb hexagonal pixels.

Weight. Thickness. Bulk. Heat. Energy consumption. And radiation. But I miss not being able to use classic light guns on LCDs. I'm kicking myself for not testing a light gun on my parent's LG 1080i CRT. Unfortunately, it suffered from the "ghost" effect that it would turn itself on and then ignore the remote control so Best Buy replaced it with an LCD when LG discontinued CRTs and basically recalled the ghost TVs.

I still see in some rail stations CRT used as displays... I use two TVs that are about 30 years old for gaming, except for 128 bits and HD systems that are hooked to my LCD TV.

And on the other hand, there is alot of LCD TV getting dead, more than you think. Especially computer LCD but TV fail too.

CRT would fail mostly because of the high power; it's... "forgiveable" (tho, true, there was alot of cheap as hell TV's in the late 90's and early 2000 that would blow if you looked at them funny). But LCD TV fail because of overcheap capacitors, wich is totally a shame.

I personnaly only not miss one thing about CRT; it's that they are not HD able, at least TVs. If they were more common, I would have never turned to LCD...

Edited by CatPix