IGNORED

Let's fix Wikipedia thread 1.

Jakandsig

Tried to edit Atari 2600 article in my language, wasting 3 hours of my life, explaining details of the hardware from a programmer perspective, then somebody deleted everything late that day and wrote : "C'mon guys, let's translate the english article".

I will never waste my time again editing wikipedia.

Has anyone ever tried to go in and fix some of their mistakes before? It seems impossible. But apparently they got a cult like status there and seniority is exempt and can control what goes on the pages.

Yep. Bear in mind you're likely dealing with the most pathetic of nerds who's entire existence revolves around protectiing their opinions on Wikipedia. I tried making some updates to a certain game systems' page because it was less information and mostly slamming the system/insulting it. Wiki is supposed to be void of "opinion" but clearly, some pages have become a canvas for fanboy graffiti. I once got nearly IP banned for arguing that the ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD was not a reliable source for how well a system fared back in the 80's , or how the controllers functioned, or whether or not it was a success or failure. And every change I made was reverted literally WITHIN MINUTES. Supposedly some of the game system pages are moderated by programmers who were in the business back then. While that may be I often wonder if their role with Atari/Coleco/Apple or whichever company was more along the lines of executive ashtray emptier rather than programmer.

Meh. Like Dracon said. It's a waste of time especially considering the mindsets you're often dealing with.

• Like 2

Yep. Bear in mind you're likely dealing with the most pathetic of nerds who's entire existence revolves around protectiing their opinions on Wikipedia. I tried making some updates to a certain game systems' page because it was less information and mostly slamming the system/insulting it. Wiki is supposed to be void of "opinion" but clearly, some pages have become a canvas for fanboy graffiti. I once got nearly IP banned for arguing that the ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD was not a reliable source for how well a system fared back in the 80's , or how the controllers functioned, or whether or not it was a success or failure. And every change I made was reverted literally WITHIN MINUTES. Supposedly some of the game system pages are moderated by programmers who were in the business back then. While that may be I often wonder if their role with Atari/Coleco/Apple or whichever company was more along the lines of executive ashtray emptier rather than programmer.

Meh. Like Dracon said. It's a waste of time especially considering the mindsets you're often dealing with.

Well it seems that they have these certain rules in place were the information must be a website of rules and everyone is supposed to go to the "talk page" for consensus when most info on wikipedia has no consensus at all.

I for example tried to remove the Dreamcast pages constant praise of them "creating and pioneering" certain things as well as listing more info on the 3do, and all things that were blogs were redone. i was told blogs were not allowed. In one instance, a blog literally had a commercial and actual PICTURES of a system DOING something before another system and it was told it was not reliable because it was a blog. They were pretty much saying a $1 bill did not exist if someone had a blog of them using a $1 to buy something at a register.

I had went back and forth on a lot of gaming related articles and kept being told to go to the talk page but no one wants to talk. Got blocked for 2 days for "edit warring" and the person who reported who did more changes than I did as well as just rude got nothing at all because well, he was there longer.

Does not help around 2002 when wiki assigned groups of fan boys to certain pages and some of them are still on there.

It seems it would have to be a team effort to edit wikipedia and we would have to have some sort of "concrete text" in order to make them look at things. Because the fact most media use Wikipedia is just awful, and if we can't change it it will continue to be awful.

Yep. Bear in mind you're likely dealing with the most pathetic of nerds who's entire existence revolves around protectiing their opinions on Wikipedia.

Ain't that the truth. Last year I edited several history-related articles (and gave good references), correcting some false information regarding the "Byzantine" Empire. Sadly, the people with seniority wouldn't know a primary source if it bit them in the ass (instead they go by what biased historians wrote many centuries later) and undid my corrections and gave me a warning. No piece of reference in the world will sway their brainwashed little minds. Hell, even if I were to invent a time machine and take them to that time period, they still wouldn't believe it.

• Like 1

Let me tell you a little story about that shithole. Hideki Kamiya, the man who created Resident Evil and the more recent Bayonetta, was asked to provide a snapshot of himself for Wikipedia. He quickly offered a picture of himself... getting punched in the nards by an Ultraman kids' ride. The image was posted on Wikipedia and stayed up there for a couple of days, only to be removed by the site's tight-assed administrators. Apparently it didn't have a creative commons license, they weren't absolutely sure the picture belonged to Kamiya (despite Kamiya being in the picture and offering it for submission to the site), "that red sculpture" was probably copyrighted, blah de blah de fucking blah. No assholes, the correct answer is you don't have a sense of humor and you wanted to flex your moderating muscles on Wikipedia because you're sad losers who aren't worth a damn in real life.

Anyway, I'm angry about the whole situation, but Kamiya himself seems most steamed. In a recent tweet, he offered this observation on the site and its heavy-handed moderation:

"Wikipedia sucks."

Pretty much all that needs to be said there.

Also, if I ever met Jimmy "Wah wah Wikipedia needs more money even though I spend half my time at posh parties" Wales in real life, I'd do to him what Ultraman did to Kamiya.

Edited by Jess Ragan
  • Like 2

Looks like you are allowed to take Wikipedia articles and put them on your own web site and make whatever changes you want as long as you do whatever this says:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reusing_Wikipedia_content#Re-use_of_text_under_Creative_Commons_Attribute_Share-Alike

I don't understand any of it.

Yeah, I did that with Pengo, they totally omitted the A8 version, which of course, was the original home computer version.

And guess what, before the change on Wikipedia, Retro Gamer (UK magazine) used the old information in their magazine, leaving out the A8 version too. RG blindly copies from Wiki without doing any research. That is so wrong (I actually confronted RG with this info, their excuse was that they can't research everything. WHAT??? I thought they are a professional magazine. Obviously not).

But i was surprised that Wiki kept the change, there you go

Edited by high voltage

I totally gave up on Wikipedia when they totally deleted all the hard work me and someone else did on the Gameshark. It covered everything and ever aspect of it, you would not believe the reason why it was deleted. Because the info did not appear on another site. In fact the only thing I ever did on wikipedia that wasn't changed back was an episode guide and minor changes to what once came out on VHS.

You know some sites still have that original post on the Gameshark, I found it on at least 3 different gaming sites. So there wikipedia.

In a previous thread we expressed are concern about wikipedia, the lack of correct info, the fact many media use it, and the cult folowing. However I happened to gain an important foothold to get inside where even the mods/admins will look at what we change.

So let's fix it slowly one thread at a time so that for gaming wikipedia could be a place were people will get the correct information about gaming. We will be starting with this article, about the video game crash (the 2nd one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

Now in this article there are... A lot of things wrong, but I know a lot of people here have the articles, sources, scans, and uh, article we need ot fix it. Please keep in mind Wikipedia will not use blogs no matter how factually accurate (although if the blog contains scans or links to articles I can grab those individually from it.)

So let us get started with fixing wikipedia. I will use the sources and etc. you find and add it/change parts of the article. This is good since now we can actually get in without back and forth arguing that would happen if atari joe logged in.