IGNORED

Back in the early days of computing, __________________.

Omega-TI

We used cards (inked, not punched) for program input in high school. Funnily enough, I did work experience at a mainframe site and they still had a card reader in 1983 and it was in use.

In 1993 I was on a disk tuning course - I remember someone excitedly announcing that one of the big government departments had just exceeded 1 Terabyte of disk storage space.

Even by then, it would have taken probably 3 tennis courts worth of floor space or more.

The site I worked on at the time had probably 150 Gig or less, and that took a lot. IBM 3380 workalikes generally had 4 physical disks in the space taken by a big fridge and that was only about 7 Gig. 2 generations earlier was the 3350, they generally came in twin units about the size of a large washer+dryer side by side with an overall capacity of about 1.2 Gig on 2 physical disks/4 logical volumes.

The data transfer rates - I remember the wow factor in that a parallel channel ran at about 8 Meg/second - often a control unit would have 4 or more channel attachments though.

Even a cheap USB flashdrive will often get double that speed on reads.

• 4 weeks later...

Ram-pack wobble on the ZX81, one touch and programme is gone, official Sinclair solution was Blu-tac! How far we have come, but never again will we have a mainstream computer for £49!!!

Mastertronic 1.99 games, sold in newsagents and petrol stations, truly pocket money prices, great stuff. :) I have almost all of the Vic-20 games they released.

Computer magazines worth reading, Crash!, Zzap! 64, Popular computing weekly, Personal computer news.

Variety, how many systems were out there? now it's a one horse show.

• Like 3

Ram-pack wobble on the ZX81, one touch and programme is gone, official Sinclair solution was Blu-tac! How far we have come, but never again will we have a mainstream computer for £49!!!

We used some Velcro between the RAM Pack and the CPU..

That reminds me, I need to photograph my Sinclair ZX81/TS1000 collection.. I even have a Memotech 64K RAM pack in an Extruded Aluminum case... I guess I should photograph my Commodore collection too....

Variety, how many systems were out there? now it's a one horse show.

Well, Two and a Half... Apple and Linux+Windows.....

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

I think some guy named Gates wants to talk to you about that paper basic and make sure that you paid him the $500 that he is asking for it.

Oh, come on... I'm sure it's legit..

It was right there in the desk drawer, next to the tape of Spacewar and Hunt the Wumpus...

• Like 1

he actually never said that BTW

that "quote" popped up in the early 90's like a goblin fart and as a "quote" there is a hundred different versions and not a single shred of evidence outside of myth.

I am sure he said something that involved 640K at some point in history, but whoever started this little meme at best was half drunk on a ultra loud convention floor looking at some other booth when it happened to hit their ear half sideways as it never existed before computers had multiple megabytes of ram standard

And the other thing about that... ...in the early 1980s, the data that was stored on IBM Personal Computers was all text... ...not audio, no JPGs, no video. A typed page of text used about 2K bytes of data. To be able to store 320 pages of such text IN MEMORY would have been sufficient for most imagined scenarios. Remember, a Commodore 64 having access to 64K bytes of memory was sufficient to make that machine one of the best selling computing devices of all time. The first iterations of Macintosh and Atari ST computers did not have 640K of RAM, and those were computers with GUI Operating Systems, in contrast with the IBM compatibles which were text-based computers.

... a simple word processor program could easily set you back $100.00.. OR MORE!

This label was found on a TI-Writer binder I picked up yesterday...

You really have to wonder about the thought process there.

Word processing was one of the best reasons to own a computer.

Want to sell more computers? sell a couple key applications cheap.