IGNORED

Stampede is blue

Marius

Hi!

After some cool playing with the Harmony cart, which is very awesome, I found one strange thing:

Stampede has a blue screen, while my own international edition (PAL) of Stampede gives a green playfield.

I tried all available (PAL) versions and they all give this blue screen with the harmony cart.

Is this known? What is causing this? Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Prowizard

If you are using Rom Hunter's roms, then choose the rom marked:

Stampede - Lasso-Helden (1981) (Activision, Bob Whitehead - Ariola) (EAG-011, PAG-011 - 711 011-715) (PAL)

This one will give you green grass. The following PAL roms didn't have their colors converted from NTSC, so the grass appears blue:

Stampede (32 in 1) (1988) (Atari) (CX26163P) (PAL)

Stampede (Unknown) (PAL)

Ah that was it.

I was definitely not using a NTSC rom since no NTSC Rom works on my tv (all rolling screen)

Stampede worked just fine, but in blue screen. I guess the available pal rom is not perfect.

The combo pack works fine.

I am wondering: is there a checksum verify in the carts or could I simply try to edit the color setting in a rom with a hex editor?

There is no checksum in the cart, and you could simply edit the color with a hex editor.

That being said a few game programs (not Stampede) did use checksums. Custer's Revenge and Mission Survive come to mind as doing this, but that is from my memory and I would have to double check.

You shouldn't have to hack the colors at all. The rom I pointed out already has the corrected colors. I also though Dennis Debro reversed Stampede long ago, but I can't find it anywhere. I could be wrong about that.

There is no checksum in the cart, and you could simply edit the color with a hex editor.

That being said a few game programs (not Stampede) did use checksums. Custer's Revenge and Mission Survive come to mind as doing this, but that is from my memory and I would have to double check.

You shouldn't have to hack the colors at all. The rom I pointed out already has the corrected colors. I also though Dennis Debro reversed Stampede long ago, but I can't find it anywhere. I could be wrong about that.

I might have tested that wrong, but I downloaded that one and it gave blue too. But I might be wrong.

Stella reported all roms as being the same (from atari's 32-in-1 cart).

I found a combo-pack where the grass actually is green.

Since I am completely new into this harmony cart thing, I thought it was a problem with the harmony cart. Now I know it isn't (since in the emulator the screen is also blue), I'm ok with blue... blue might be even better than green indeed (better contrast).

I love Stampede, and thanks for all your fast and detailed responses folks.