IGNORED

Best/Favorite 3DO Controller?

Rex Dart

I'm a controller freak. I like to have the best controller for any particular game. This is a big problem with my 3DO, because I don't like either of the two controllers that I have.

One's the three-button Naki pad that you see all over eBay. I bought a pair for dirt cheap there, and got what I paid for. The way the removable(!) d-pad sits on a stalk, it just never feels responsive. The other is a 6-button pad from Performance that I picked up for Street Fighter. This one is far better, but lacks the L and R shoulder buttons (they're face buttons only, now) and it's kind of beat to hell. I realize the best option would be a SNES->3DO adapter, but those cost more than the console did.

So what should I look for? I'm okay with keeping the Performance pad around just for SSF2, so I guess it's a good 3-button style pad I'm after.

Like the smaller Panasonic FZ-JP2x controller or using a SNES controller adapter and use my Hori Stick.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the JP2x, thanks. But no way am I spending $100+ for an adapter for a $30 console. I have considered just gutting one of these Naki pads and making an arcade stick out of the internals, though...

I've heard the issue with the "fighting" joypads is that they don't work the same with all the fighting games because of different button configs.

Supposedly, the CapCom pad is great for Street Fighter, but since other fighting games use different button configs, it's not as great with the others.

I'm not a hug fighting game expert (OK, that's a HUGE understatement!!) and I only have the default pads, so not sure.

I suppose the best would be a programmable fighting pad (or adapter) that lets you change the buttons per game.

(Maybe just a few presets could handle the common configs)

desiv

Edited by desiv

I've heard the issue with the "fighting" joypads is that they don't work the same with all the fighting games because of different button configs.

Supposedly, the CapCom pad is great for Street Fighter, but since other fighting games use different button configs, it's not as great with the others.

Yeah, Capcom pulled a pretty good scam with SSF2. Where nearly every other 6-button 3DO pad puts Cancel as the middle button of the top row, Capcom's pad puts Pause there. Because Street Fighter expects Pause for the medium punch, you're nearly forced to buy their hard-to-find controller for this game. Luckily, I can solder.

Edited by Rex Dart

• 4 years later...

I have one of those SNES-> 3DO adpaters. I only tried it with 3 games, and one of them failed. it was Pataaank, that first person pseudo-pinball game. The adapter I have is a UFO 3D Zero and it didn't work on that, either anywhere along the daisy chain, or even as the only controller. I bought it for $10 in 2002, and it had errors of multiple actuations when centered during Pataaank. But in a couple other games, like PGA Golf, they were fine. SNES-> 3DO adapters are not all they're cracked up to be.

Also If you have a PS2 fight stick, don't get a Tototek PS2-> 3DO adapter UNLESS you are only planning to play one player games. There is no daisy chain port on them. I personally haven't tried them, but no Daisy Chain port makes it a deal breaker automatically.

My best advice is to gut any 3DO controller you can get. The Naki might not be a good physical controller to actuate with your fingers/thumbs, but it may be good for fight stick modding. That's what I'm planning to have modded. Plus it's got a Daisy Chain port that works.

Anyone else have trouble with either a 3D Zero adapter or another brand of SNES-> 3DO adapter? Someone want to report a brand that works better that's cheap enough where I don't have to hire a modder to mod a 3DO pad for me?

• 1 month later...

I think I paid $15 each for my SNES controller adapters but that was 2008 or 2009 when I got them.

Are they New in Box, or are they actually used? Do you have any problems with games on them, like I found with Pataank?

Any one else want to report SNES-> 3DO adapter incompatibilities? Mine is Pataank with the UFO 3D Zero SNES apapter

By the way, is it just MY 3D Zero, or is it EVERY 3D Zero, or even ALL SNES->3DO adapters, because I heard there is more than one brand.

And is it JUST Pataank, or are there other titles that these don't work with?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love my 3D Zero adaptor I got when it came out but I really just prefer to use my original OEM controller I got with my FZ-1 when I got it in 1995. I also have three Pro Pads that are shaped like that SNES programmable pad (2 sealed) but the Stop button is where the B button is on the SNES controller so I'm constantly hitting it and pausing when I play Super Street Fighter II Turbo. LOL It's annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

hey @jce3000gt:

How many games do you have for the 3DO and does the 3D Zero adapter work for all of them. I have about 6 games, and I found one that doesn’t work, Pataaank!

1) Do you have that game, and can test whether it’s something wrong with my disc, or my 3D Zero (so far PGA Golf works with it, even anywhere in the daisy chain. from 1st out of 4 to 4th out of 4.) or whether yours has problems with it too and if that’s just a strange incompatibility. By the way I tried both my SNES fight stick and a standard SNES pad, neither work with that game.

2) How many of your games work with the 3D Zero?

I like the fact that it reads it just like a 3DO controller, and can be set in 2 arrangements, the pad arrangement works on my SNES fight stick too because is arranged in that way as the default Street Fighter arrangement:

SNES:

L X R

Y B A

equals 3DO:

L ? R

A B C

On the same setting, the mapping on a pad is like a modern system playing a Genesis game;:

* ? *

A * C

* B *

I think ?=P because, if I remember right, it pauses the game. which makes it Street Fighter compatible

By the way, there is a second setting. I forget the mapping of that.

Finally, even though the point is moot, because I’m planning to have a discrete input telephone operator switcboard, if I didn’t have this device, if you want it to work with as many games as possible, is it smarter to work with Middle Punch equalling Play or Stop.

I think most fighters use Stop, and Street Fighter uses Play. The official fight stick from Panasonic has it as P. I know, I have it. I thought I saw somewhere on the web, that most fighters that need 4+ buttons have button swapping features in software. So you might not screwed with a MP=Play arrangement wiht other games, but definitely are if you have Street Fighter and have MP=X. (SNK conversions only need 4 buttons so I don’t know if it applies to Samurai Shodown.

If Japanese see "Showdown" in Greco-Roman alphabet and a correct-to-English spelling, some would think the same English "ow" vowel-plus-clarifying-consonant sound combo is used in both "Show" and "Down", hence phonetic Greco-Roman "Shodown". Sort of like the reason why Guy from final Final Fight is "Guy" in the West, and "Gai" in Japan, and Midway pronounces the thunder god, RAYD-en and Japanese-produced games pronounces it "RYE-Den" with Rye as in Ham on Rye, not as in Ryu.)

By the way, since I’m getting nowhere on SNES-> adapter incompatibilities, I'm thinking of starting a new topic.