IGNORED

I'm actually very interested about the 7800

segasaturn

Controllers are just bad. The ones that came with my console felt sloppy and worn out. I bought a pair of NOS controllers off of eBay and they are only somewhat better. The buttons are in great shape but the stick is so sloppy. For games that don't need two buttons I use either an Atari CX-40, my Epyx 500XJ, or a Sega Genesis pad. Best Electronics sells a patch cable to make Genesis pads work as two button controllers on the 7800 -- that may be my ultimate solution.

Is THAT what that thing does? i saw it on their page but it had no description, the photo was too small to read the fine print on the package AND I was too lazy to write them an email about it. I kept looking at it going "why would you need that....sega controllers already work on Ataris, sort of".

*runs off to check on it and probably order one*

I emailed about that cord before, but they responded that it doesn't make controllers 2 button compatible. Anyone verify that this works and if so, a link to the order page please?

D'oh....I have just put in a similar email. So I expect to get the same response.

I wonder what the hell it DOES do then....I've never had an issue using my Genesis pads on my 7800 (other than 2 button games of course) or 2600. I will post their response here when I get it.

D'oh....I have just put in a similar email. So I expect to get the same response.

I wonder what the hell it DOES do then....I've never had an issue using my Genesis pads on my 7800 (other than 2 button games of course) or 2600. I will post their response here when I get it.

That would be a bummer if it didn't do what I thought what it did. Though I suppose somebody who knows how to read a wire diagram and knows which end of the soldering iron to use could mod them. I'd generally prefer the Genesis pad to the NES pad.

The TIA sound leaves much to be desired. But hearing what is done in DK VCS makes you realize that a huge factor may also be at times the programmer's (lack of) ability/time/resources to work with the chip to its full potential within a game depending too on what is trying to be accomplished.

Granted, it is not POKEY or a Yamaha sound chip, but Joe really makes the TIA sound shine (Especially compared to the original official retail releases) in a way I never thought possible.

Idk I thought the sound chip was pretty cool. I might stand alone on this, but I think the sound chip is original and fun to listen to.

Idk I thought the sound chip was pretty cool. I might stand alone on this, but I think the sound chip is original and fun to listen to.

The "DK VCS" homebrew and I'm right with you.

7800 Donkey Kong (Jr.) or Mario Bros....especially that title screen music, makes the Chinese water torture like a day at the beach...lol.

Froggie is an excellent example of how not only to make an Arcade game shine on the 7800 but making great use of the TIA sound as well. It does have POKEY support too, but the TIA sound is nearly as good... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/69060-frogger-first-playable-demo/page-17?do=findComment&comment=2835596

7800 Donkey Kong (Jr.) or Mario Bros....especially that title screen music, makes the Chinese water torture like a day at the beach...lol.

Froggie is an excellent example of how not only to make an Arcade game shine on the 7800 but making great use of the TIA sound as well. It does have POKEY support too, but the TIA sound is nearly as good... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/69060-frogger-first-playable-demo/page-17?do=findComment&comment=2835596

Actually Donkey Kong JR. is a prime example. I like the way the music is, personally I like it over the NES version. Granted it only had 2 sound channels(am I right?) but like people have been saying, you can make the music really shine on the 7800 if you do it right.

Super Pac Man, the original Ms. Pac Man, Galaga and Food Fight are examples of great used of the TIA chip. I always liked the music on Midnight Mutants, Fatal Run and Ikari Warriors. But the TIA chip has its limits: I can't imagine Ballblazer or Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest without POKEY. But I don't think it's terrible on ALL games. Most of the games programmed by GCC sound pretty good, but the computer games ported to the 7800 usually have terrible sound (Fight Night, Karateka, Ace of Aces, Crack'ed). Also, Basketbrawl and Ninja Golf could have sounded better.

• Like 1

Yep. DK & DK Jr. are pretty bad all around, sound-wise. Mario Bros. title screen music is out-of-tune and harsh and some of the in-game sfx are harsh, but overall not as bad as Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr., imo.

Actually Donkey Kong JR. is a prime example. I like the way the music is, personally I like it over the NES version. Granted it only had 2 sound channels(am I right?) but like people have been saying, you can make the music really shine on the 7800 if you do it right.

Are you serious? :-o Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. on the 7800 sound quite crude and harsh to me. To each his/her own.

Most of the games programmed by GCC sound pretty good, but the computer games ported to the 7800 usually have terrible sound (Fight Night, Karateka, Ace of Aces, Crack'ed). Also, Basketbrawl and Ninja Golf could have sounded better.

Don't forget Impossible Mission. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Super Pac Man, the original Ms. Pac Man, Galaga and Food Fight are examples of great used of the TIA chip.

I agree. Those games make good use of the TIA, especially Food Fight. Sounds like it was done on POKEY. Whoever programmed the music & sfx for that was very talented. :!:

That would be a bummer if it didn't do what I thought what it did. Though I suppose somebody who knows how to read a wire diagram and knows which end of the soldering iron to use could mod them. I'd generally prefer the Genesis pad to the NES pad.

Jeez I thought for sure I had responded in here but reading again I guess not....my memory is getting bad maybe.

They responded back, no two button functionality. When I asked what it did do he said it enable auto-fire to work on Genesis controllers....that doesn't make any sense to me as my Genesis turbo controllers work fine (Joust!) and I don't think auto-fire is really any different.

Jeez I thought for sure I had responded in here but reading again I guess not....my memory is getting bad maybe.

Your memory is just fine, GoldenWheels.

Al had to restore the site from backup, so some of the more recent posts are gone from just before the restoration. I saw your post prior to the crash/restore. You did post it here. :)

Your memory is just fine, GoldenWheels.

Al had to restore the site from backup, so some of the more recent posts are gone from just before the restoration. I saw your post prior to the crash/restore. You did post it here. :)

Ha! I was like..did I bail mid post because someone walked in my office? what happened? I was really getting paranoid there for a minute, thanks!

I wonder is it possible BE themselves don't know what it does? It is too short to be any good as an extension cable. I'm tempted to order it just to see what it does.

I dunno..their name is right on the packaging, which has some other type on there that is too small to read. Makes me think they had to at least test it to write the copy for the packaging, and they do seem pretty informed about their stuff in general....but I will say their response made absolutely 0 sense to me. I see no reason that thing would be needed (or work) for somehow enabling auto fire.

If you do get one please post the results!

For any DIY'ers who have the skill and time, this has proven to work fine:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188764-sega-genesis-wireless-controller-question/?do=findComment&comment=2390066

Did Golden Ax ever get around to making these for folks? I have the time but sadly not the skill. I'd certainly pay to get one of those in a shell.

I guess there's only one way to get the skill though, right? Ha.

Yep.  DK & DK Jr. are pretty bad all around, sound-wise.  Mario Bros. title screen music is out-of-tune and harsh and some of the in-game sfx are harsh, but overall not as bad as Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr., imo.

Are you serious?  :-o   Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. on the 7800 sound quite crude and harsh to me.  To each his/her own.

Don't forget Impossible Mission.  Like nails on a chalkboard.

I agree.  Those games make good use of the TIA, especially Food Fight.  Sounds like it was done on POKEY.  Whoever programmed the music & sfx for that was very talented. :!:

Your examples give credence for my desire to see all of the existing 7800 library titles receive updates/hacks so that POKEY audio can be substituted when appropriate and available.

I swear, GCC must've done this deliberately not out of cost or motherboard space but to convince Atari Inc to buy a GUMBY chip for every cartridge manufactured.

Xevious is one of the best titles with TIA use. I watched video from the MSX2 version and I think they ported the code from the 7800 release and just tweaked some of the graphics and increased the resolution because it plays like the 7800 version and sounds like it too.

Worst POKEY audio of a 7800 title port to the XEGS/A8 has to be Desert Falcon. There's no improvement in the audio; it sounds like the TIA original.

• 2 weeks later...

It pays to scroll down a few threads. :) I was just about to ask similar questions regarding the 7800 and this thread answered them. I'll go ahead an start scouting for a 7800. Its one of those systems that I always wanted since its debut, but never acquired. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the OP!

It pays to scroll down a few threads. :) I was just about to ask similar questions regarding the 7800 and this thread answered them. I'll go ahead an start scouting for a 7800. Its one of those systems that I always wanted since its debut, but never acquired. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the OP!

This is a good time to get one because there will be more Atari 7800 homebrews than expected thanks to this:

7800basic update #1. beans spilled, peek sneaked

Super Pac Man, the original Ms. Pac Man, Galaga and Food Fight are examples of great used of the TIA chip. I always liked the music on Midnight Mutants, Fatal Run and Ikari Warriors.

I find a lot of it has to do with the pitch and the volume. Personally, I find the TIA games which stick to lower notes (Midnight Mutants, Fatal Run, Dark Chambers) for music sound a lot better than the ones that have high higher notes (aka Tower Toppler). Some music I find is easier to take when it's kept at low volumes, like Scrapyard Dog. The TIA is definitely capable of creating nice music ... see 2600 California Games. But it felt like many of the 7800 developers in the day didn't spend a lot of time trying to make the best result of what they had.

• Like 2

Try to get one of the earlier ones for best compatibility. Serials that star with EP or A1 or that still have the serial port on the side. I have an A1 that plays everything and a later A1 without the serial port (but it does have the opening) that dislikes certain 2600 games in my collection.

Good luck! I do love my 7800; they are a great system to have around.