IGNORED

Your Advice - Appraisals for Original Game Cover Art?

ThreepwoodMac

We need to see a picture of what you do have. If Perez did illustrate that image then it may very well be a high quality print of the final image. These can fool many people. The CGE show museum showcases a Warlords print that most everyone assumes is a real painting. Except it is a print and there more than one of them.

Thanks again for the help, guys, the confirmation on George Perez is fabulous. Upon closer inspection, it appears that this piece is a colored pencil and watercolor illustration. It's 26x16" and is mounted on thin, stiff cardboard (now starting to wear a little.)

I took some pictures today and put them in a Photobucket gallery, click below for more.

http://s859.photobucket.com/user/cinqcentcoups/library/Swordquest%20Cover%20Art?sort=3&page=1

swordquest1.jpg

swordquest2.jpg

Edited by ThreepwoodMac
  • Like 4

Greetings,

The illustration looks like ink, pencil, and illustration markers. Letraset, Prismacolours or (newer) Copic markers have a chiselled edge to them. Watercolour has a different look to it. Not that it makes a difference in that it looks to be an original. Now go get it appraised by a professional!

http://www.anthonyscomicbookart.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=448

http://www.comicartfans.com/comic-artists/George_Perez.asp

http://www.romitaman.com/artistgalleryroom.asp?ArtistId=905&Ti=George++Perez

Nice piece!

I collect Fantasy Art and (try) to collect original video game art but it's not easy as the art is somewhat rare.. especially stuff form the 80s.

Price wise this can really range all over. I've paid $200 for the cover to a Space Quest compilation to well over $1,000 for a cover to an old Origin PC game. The original artist and the game have a lot to do with value. Since these aren't something that come up often its hard to say exactly how much its worth as there isn't that much precidence. Best place to start would probably to see how much inked George Perez artwork goes for and calculate from there.

Still on something like this your best bet is to put it on eBay and see where it goes. You can put a reasonable reserve on it but ultimately its going to be in the hands of the bidders. For example I'd definitely bid on this if you decide to go that route.

Either way good luck with the same.

Anyone who says this should be appraised doesn't know anything about this stuff. The reason is because appraisers don't know anything about this stuff. It's not comic art and it's not fine art. It treads a fine line. I agree with the above post on prices, although I'd like to work out a deal with the seller, who hasn't replied to me in the last few days.

Anyone who says this should be appraised doesn't know anything about this stuff. The reason is because appraisers don't know anything about this stuff. It's not comic art and it's not fine art. It treads a fine line. I agree with the above post on prices, although I'd like to work out a deal with the seller, who hasn't replied to me in the last few days.

I wouldn't mind picking this up via a private sale, but given the interest expressed by several people in this thread alone, the seller would likely benefit from a more public offering.

I would beg to differ as there are people who deal with Perez' artwork who would be more knowledgeable about his non-comic art work. It is not like the man to have a body of work out there not connected to his bread and butter. But then I don't know anything after dealing in comic, illustration and animation art for 20+ years;)

• Like 1

I would beg to differ as there are people who deal with Perez' artwork who would be more knowledgeable about his non-comic art work. It is not like the man to have a body of work out there not connected to his bread and butter. But then I don't know anything after dealing in comic, illustration and animation art for 20+ years;)

A comic book art appraiser can tell you what a typical non-comic related Perez piece would fall at pricewise but only within the comicbook market. He won't know what it is worth to a video game collector and why would he?

Just offering some advice as requested.

I understand that you mean well but I think that for everyone involved the seller would be better to sell it to someone within the classic video game community. Someone here will enjoy it far more and I also think that the seller would get a better price from someone here who knows what this is and what it means. If you sell to an established collector like Ianoid etc it stays within the community and we get the chance that maybe we will see it at CGE etc. Comic book collectors just have no connection to this item and for them this could be a cover of TV guide for all they care.

I understand that you mean well but I think that for everyone involved the seller would be better to sell it to someone within the classic video game community. Someone here will enjoy it far more and I also think that the seller would get a better price from someone here who knows what this is and what it means. If you sell to an established collector like Ianoid etc it stays within the community and we get the chance that maybe we will see it at CGE etc. Comic book collectors just have no connection to this item and for them this could be a cover of TV guide for all they care.

I'm sorry, but assuming that someone who deals with original art and is very experienced won't know how to come up with a reasonable estimate is just plain ridiculous. This is a very well known artist and this is the cover of a magazine that saw some pretty significant distribution. It also has a strong connection to 80s pop culture with both the artist and the Atari factors. While selling it to someone in the community might be preferable for the community (or more likely to that collector), it's certainly not necessarily in the seller's best interest. Do you and Ianoid refrain from selling stuff on Ebay or elsewhere at market price simply so other collectors can get it below market value? Of course not. Frankly, the best way to sell this item is to stick it up on Ebay and advertise it here and on other classic gaming and original art collecting sites and see where it ends up.
  • Like 1

Hi I see that you have knowledge about art in this area. Can I ask you questions about an atari artist named Jim Talbot. I have 15 pieces of his art work and they are all sci-fi fantasy type of art except for 3 of them(2 are self portraits i think and the other one not sure). these are all original oil paintings and all are signed by him. I am not sure if they are atari pieces or for some thing else. Any information would be great thanks.

Jim Talbot is accredited to many early Avalon Hill video game box art. I haven't seen any for sale or know of the values of such an item. He is not as well known as George Perez, so the value of his paintings would be tied into the product he was painting for. The best way to gauge this would be to take one piece that you have identified and market it as video game box art attributed to Jim Talbot. Your target audience is on here or Gamegavel or eBay.

From there you can probably sell the other items (when identified) at about the same price.

If you post pics I am sure someone here can identify most of the pieces you have.

Samples of his work below:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/by_genre/developerId,159217/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19855396/Jupiter-Mission-1999

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34615035/Panzer-Jagd

• 1 month later...

The. Perez website lists and pictures this Atari Age cover as his work but the section needs to be looked at and perhaps corrected.

He also lists the unpublished Swordquest #4 comic as his work but he uses the unpublished gamebox cover as the picture. Does that mean that he also did the unpublished Airworld gamebox or is the picture just there as a placeholder because the comic is lost?

He does have a separate entry for the Waterworld game box cover but not Airworld nor Earthworld or Fireworld.

http://perez.comicbookseries.info/checklist-20/dc-comics/swordquest