IGNORED

Road Hunter

Asmusr

In a clear case. Lee?! heheheheheh

If you mean to suggest that I distribute my one-day-to-be-completed fbForth cartridge as a real cartridge in a clear case, that is certainly close to my plan. I do, indeed, plan on real cartridges for fbForth. The "clear" part will only depend on availability and price of cases when I get to the hardware part of this project.

...lee

If you mean to suggest that I distribute my one-day-to-be-completed fbForth cartridge as a real cartridge in a clear case, that is certainly close to my plan. I do, indeed, plan on real cartridges for fbForth. The "clear" part will only depend on availability and price of cases when I get to the hardware part of this project.

...lee

About this... would it be possible to, add extra memory to this future cart (like on a Super Cart) and have fbForth be able to utilize it in addition to the memory already in the TI? If this new cart came delivered like this, it would be AWESOME!

About this... would it be possible to, add extra memory to this future cart (like on a Super Cart) and have fbForth be able to utilize it in addition to the memory already in the TI? If this new cart came delivered like this, it would be AWESOME!

Not so much. I would be using Jon Guidry's (@acadiel's) 64KB PCB, which has no provision for RAM. One reason for wanting to put fbForth on cartridge in the first place was to gain RAM for the user by hoisting the resident dictionary into ROM space, not to mention the convenience of booting directly into fbForth. This gains over 8KB of RAM. I will probably include SAMS mapping as per @Willsy's TurboForth; but' that'll probably be the extent of it.

...lee

• Like 1

Lee, would you want the Inverted 64K version that Jon's boards have or the 512K Non-Inverted version that I just recently put into the CAD program? The advantage of the latter is that it can also be burned into the 512K Uber-GROM carts once we get those working. Like Jon's cart, it uses a standard DIP EPROM and will work with everything from an 8K to a 512K EPROM. I'll know in a couple of weeks if they work like they're supposed to, as I have a small batch on order for testing. There are a lot of Jon's boards out there too, which is a plus for them (I like both types, but I had a wild hair last weekend and decided to modify the 512K inverted board I pictured in the cartridge thread last week to act as a contiguous 512K cart as opposed to 4 128K cartridges in a single case).

• Like 1

Lee, would you want the Inverted 64K version that Jon's boards have or the 512K Non-Inverted version that I just recently put into the CAD program? The advantage of the latter is that it can also be burned into the 512K Uber-GROM carts once we get those working. Like Jon's cart, it uses a standard DIP EPROM and will work with everything from an 8K to a 512K EPROM. I'll know in a couple of weeks if they work like they're supposed to, as I have a small batch on order for testing. There are a lot of Jon's boards out there too, which is a plus for them (I like both types, but I had a wild hair last weekend and decided to modify the 512K inverted board I pictured in the cartridge thread last week to act as a contiguous 512K cart as opposed to 4 128K cartridges in a single case).

I'm not sure it matters to me. I don't see fbForth needing more ROM than the 64K—it will likely not need more than 32K. I think I will write it first for the inverted version since I have a handful of the 64K boards with the 379s; but, it shouldn't be difficult to modify the trampoline code to run with the 378s.

...lee

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that we can probably hack together a program very easily that can take a >=16K ROM image and flip the 8K banks. We can call it "The deinverter" LOL

...or the 512K Non-Inverted version that I just recently put into the CAD program?

I'm curious, will this new layout facilitate the inclusion of an 8K RAM chip and a space to mount a CR2032 battery holder with one or two other tiny discrete components? If this design were able to house a SuperCart with all the other goodies, it would be the "Cartridge of Century" (IMHO)

HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT ;: HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT

The biggest problem with doing that is space, Kevan. If you're running a board with the Atmel, you have to deal with a 40-pin chip, and that eats up almost half of the board. Add another DIP chip for the memory and you have pretty much no real estate left to run the necessary traces to connect everything together. It would be extremely difficult in a TI cartridge case. It might be doable on a ROMOX ECPC footprint though--but cases for those are a bit more difficult than TI cases. I've been toying with the idea of doing a new version of a ROMOX-like modified case though, as it will facilitate some other ideas I have.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with doing that is space, Kevan. If you're running a board with the Atmel, you have to deal with a 40-pin chip, and that eats up almost half of the board. Add another DIP chip for the memory and you have pretty much no real estate left to run the necessary traces to connect everything together. It would be extremely difficult in a TI cartridge case. It might be doable on a ROMOX ECPC footprint though--but cases for those are a bit more difficult than TI cases. I've been toying with the idea of doing a new version of a ROMOX-like modified case though, as it will facilitate some other ideas I have.

Thanks for the reply. I understand about things being tight, I guess that is just a reality of life (for now). ;) You guys know me though, I'm always dreaming about the next thing to keep my interest level up. Who knows, maybe someone will design a modified case and print one out on a 3D printer as a master that can be used to make a mold for the next generation of TI projects. I'm thinking that time is near. Since you guys are always amazing me with the stuff you think up, design and build, I'm also optimistic that a proper case/cartridge will come to pass. Once that case becomes a reality, I'm sure you guys will figure out a way 'fill it up' :grin: Build it, and they (the designers) will come!

On a side note, that program you guys use to design PCB's, will it handle multi-level designs? In the next generation/evolution would you rather build up (stacked) for a fatter cartridge, or would you prefer to just make longer boards?

EDIT: Taking this to a new thread (sorry to pollute this one)

Edited by --- Ω ---

Hey guys, I was browsing old message threads today, trying to build up my declining interest and this message grabbed my attention;

hey guys, i'm having a blonde moment. i can't load this game with the xb cart, i have to use the ea cart. is there an ea3 loader for xb?

As far as I'm aware, and I could very well be ignorant of alternatives, the E/A module is the ONLY way to load an E/A 3 file right?

Everyone knows E/A5's can be loaded through XB, but I've never seen a E/A3 loader. Is there a reason for this? Is it GROM related or am I missing something.

Hey guys, I was browsing old message threads today, trying to build up my declining interest and this message grabbed my attention;

As far as I'm aware, and I could very well be ignorant of alternatives, the E/A module is the ONLY way to load an E/A 3 file right?

Everyone knows E/A5's can be loaded through XB, but I've never seen a E/A3 loader. Is there a reason for this? Is it GROM related or am I missing something.

The reason that E/A5 programs can be easily loaded by the XB loader is that they are memory images and are simply placed where the image data tells the loader to place them.

The XB loader can, indeed, load E/A3 programs, but there are limitations. ALC programs can be written to be loaded by both loaders, but they usually are not. The XB loader does not allow external references, so all utility references like VMBR, SOUND or SPCHRD must be explicitly specified. It does not allow automatic starting via an entry point on the END instruction. Any relocatable program will start loading in low memory, whereas the E/A loader starts in high memory. Absolute code can be made to load where you want by either loader.

Another problem that must be managed by the ALC author is the different locations of the utilities and utility vectors unless s/he is loading a copy of the E/A utilities in the expected places. One E/A utility (convert integer to floating point) is missing from the low-mem utilities because XB has its own version, which to my knowledge is unavailable to the ALC programmer without more work.

There are other gotchas like no compressed object code allowed by the XB loader.

There is evidence in the ALC of TI Forth's boot program (FORTH) that the TI Forth programmers intended to make TI Forth loadable by XB. It was ultimately released into the public domain without that possibility.

So...loading E/A3 programs with the XB loader is certainly possible, but it ain't easy on the ALC author.

That said, I am pretty sure that third party XB loaders have been written to mannage loading E/A3 programs. There are others on this forum who know more than I on this matter.

...lee

• Like 1

I wrote Tony McGovern about the bugs in the XB loader in FW and the reason it does not work with RXB that has GKXB installed.

I do not know if he fixed this in later versions but it still does not work in RXB so I doubt it.

RXB fixed this issue by just using the EA cart and avoids all the Loader issue entirely.

Why make a XB loader for XB when EA does the job exactly like it is supposed to?

Besides a RXB program to load EA 5 or EA 3 is this easy:

10 CALL EAPGM("DSK4.TESTPGM") ! Loads EA 5 program

20 CALL EALR("DSK3.OBJFILE") ! Loads EA 3 Object files.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Why does anyone even bother with EA3? I never really understood that. By the time you sit there waiting for the object code to go chugging away and load, then type in the entry point for it, you could have run Rag Linker and made an EA5 file named UTIL1 that will run from a few keypresses. I haven't even bothered testing EA3 code for quite a few years, seems to be a waste of time.

Gazoo

Why does anyone even bother with EA3? I never really understood that. By the time you sit there waiting for the object code to go chugging away and load, then type in the entry point for it, you could have run Rag Linker and made an EA5 file named UTIL1 that will run from a few keypresses. I haven't even bothered testing EA3 code for quite a few years, seems to be a waste of time.

Gazoo

You're making assumptions! Code I've written and emulated (fbForth, TI Forth, ...) requires nothing more than typing the name of the program. There's no requirement to type in an entry point because the programmers associated the entry point with the END statement to handle that part. It actually escapes me why any programmer would do anything else—except for testing. Not putting the startup label with the END statement does allow loading several modules manually for testing. But, I see no reason to do that for production code.

...lee