IGNORED

Bally Astrocade Multicart

kenzre

sleepingelephant.com/denial/

So good to hear from you again.

Thanks!

I've bookmarked that web site, and will check it out. Might take me a while, what with all that's going on around here ... but it's "on my list of to-do's" now, and I intend to give it a good look-see before too long. With that said, though, we should probably get back to the thread's subject of Multicarts for the Bally Astrocade, before I get us in trouble.

;-)

Edited by Ward Shrake

• 1 month later...

Version 2.50 is identical to 2.00 except the physical make up is changed and 1 small program is added that will only be useful to people that have more than one unit. It is not worth the extra money unless you are a collector looking to acquire one of everything. That being said, if you have a version before 2.0, WAR & CRAZY CLIMBER ( which both sold for $50.00USD) are the main add ons as well as the original Blue RAM Utility Version 3. The programs that need to switch between program and AstroBASIC have been made easier to understand, and some were made into BASICcarts.

Starship UK: Please purchase through eBay as it will calculate the necessary postage. You will be responsible for all fees and tariffs associated upon its arrival into the UK.

Version 2.50 is identical to 2.00 except the physical make up is changed and 1 small program is added that will only be useful to people that have more than one unit. It is not worth the extra money unless you are a collector looking to acquire one of everything. That being said, if you have a version before 2.0, WAR & CRAZY CLIMBER ( which both sold for $50.00USD) are the main add ons as well as the original Blue RAM Utility Version 3. The programs that need to switch between program and AstroBASIC have been made easier to understand, and some were made into BASICcarts.

Starship UK: Please purchase through eBay as it will calculate the necessary postage. You will be responsible for all fees and tariffs associated upon its arrival into the UK.

If you are using EBay is there any chance you could please look in to shipping this to me using EBays Global Shipping Program?

I recently bought a Xavix Bowling Ball Controller (quite big and heavy) from a USA Seller on EBay. Using EBays Global Shipping Program the postage cost $17.20. The shipping on this, which I am guessing is much smaller and lighter than a bowling ball is showing shipping at $32.25. If there are import duties then these are also paid by myself using Ebays Global Shipping Program, which normally works out cheaper than having to pay them to the UK Post Office who add an extra $20 clearance and handling fee on to import duties (Ebay do not). I believe the way it works is you would ship it to a local Ebay global postage centre in the USA where they then bulk send items to the UK, thus making the postage and import duties cheaper.

Thank you so much for letting me know about eBay's Global Shipping Program. I had not heard of it before now. After doing research, I have agreed to use this feature. Please retry to see how much it saves you. Please let me know the amount so I can pass it on to others that are international buyers.

Thank you for this and your reply. Just to let you know it is now showing shipping as $20.03 to the UK and import charges at $31.24.

Shipping is now $12.22 cheaper. Actual UK value of item and postage is around £102. The UK charges 20% VAT on imports, which is equal to £20.40, which is around $28.59. However as mentioned before:

"Any parcel assessed as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8. Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable to import VAT. Gifts between private individuals over the value of £36 (£34 as of 1 January 2016) are also liable for VAT."

£8 is equal to about $11 (sorry - though it was £10 and the Pound to US Dollar exchange rate is really, really crap at the moment!)

To summarise I will be saving money on not having to pay a clearance fee to royal mail for import duties and the shipping charge is now cheaper. There could have been a chance Royal Mail would not charge import duties by missing it, but I can not remember the last time that happened and Royal Mail are really hot on charging for imports, as I think they use the clearance fee as an income source.

I am guessing the cost of the Global Shipping Program depends on where you live in the USA for local shipping more than anything else. The Bowling Ball I bought was a much bigger and heavier item than this but it was located in New York, and showed as being shipped on a Virgin Atlantic aircraft from JFK. Once the items arrive in the UK they are then shipped by a private budget courier (normally Hermes or Yodel), who seem to treat the international parcels with more respect than the ones delivered within the UK, where they normally leave the parcels on top of the roof:

2EAC4DC600000578-0-image-a-14_1448133228

Screen_Shot_2014-0_3002333c.jpg

• Like 1

Just ordered the multicart, even I don´t own an Astrocade yet. ;-)

But I know how it is as I have seen that with the Channel-F / Saba Videoplay, you get the system and then the Multicart is not available.

So I hope to find an Astrocade soon. :-D :thumbsup:

Make sure to do a video of it when you get one!

• Like 1

If you are using EBay is there any chance you could please look in to shipping this to me using EBays Global Shipping Program?

This may be the first time I've heard an overseas buyer actually request the GSP! I have shipped exclusively thru the GSP because without it, the shipping gets really expensive (UPS) or the seller (me) is completely unprotected vs fraud. I shipped without this protection for a long time, relying on the trustworthiness of other in the community but after being ripped off for over $1000 over the years I decided to only ship this way.

Negatives are:

Can't declare a "friendly" value of items, reducing the buyer's import tax.

Package is opened, inspected, and repackaged at the sorting facility. I have heard this is sometimes less than a delicate handling of our collectables, but never experienced this issue personally.

May take longer to get the package to the buyer as the item(s) are shipped first to a sorting facility, then to the buyer overseas.

Can't automatically combine shipping costs (can only send one ebay listing at a time) I've got around this problem by cancelling individual winnings and making a new ebay listing that has all the items the buyer wants into one. Then the GSP can be used for the combined listing.

Okay enough of the off-topic stuff.

Hope everyone who has recently been able to play War and Crazy Climber enjoy the games on this Multicart! I can't thank Adam Trifino and Ken Lill enough for their part in getting these games into the original cartridge form, burning eproms, and designing packaging. Without Adam doing this for War there would never have been a Crazy Climber. Thank you VERY much Adam!

• Like 1

Hope everyone who has recently been able to play War and Crazy Climber enjoy the games on this Multicart! I can't thank Adam Trifino and Ken Lill enough for their part in getting these games into the original cartridge form, burning eproms, and designing packaging. Without Adam doing this for War there would never have been a Crazy Climber. Thank you VERY much Adam!

Michael's two Astrocade games are excellent examples of what can be done when a gifted person goes back and revisits a system to create a homebrew game. I'm glad that I was able to help him get his two games out the door.

One of the best parts of the experience, for me, was playtesting the games as they were was being written. Mike went through about fifty versions of "Crazy Climber" (I didn't see all of them); it was a joy to see changes from version to version. Heck, I even got to choose the game's colors. Also, designing the packaging for the games (but not creating the artwork-- I can't draw!) and writing the simple backstories (especially for "Crazy Climber") was extremely fun too. If anyone ever wants to create a homebrew game for the Astrocade, then I'm all in!

It's important to note that both of Michael's homebrew Astrocade games "Crazy Climber" and "War" are freely distributable and work fine under emulation (if you can handle using the mouse as a valid substitute for the Astrocade controller's knob). In fact, if you play "Crazy Climber" under Astrocade emulation, then you can easily take advantage of the two-stick control system (for example, using a dual-stick X-Arcade controller) and play the game just like the original arcade game.

• Like 1

I've loved my MultiCart and especially War since getting the 2.0 version. Easily one of the best games on the system.

For anyone doing the Astrocade under emulation (and you happen to have a set of Bally Controllers and like them), I'd recommend getting the Astrodaptor USB adaptors. They work under windows and under a RetroPie setup on an RPi. I've had to move my Astrocade console upstairs but the RPi setup allows me to continue to enjoy the Astrocade in the living room with a much smaller footprint.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought an Astrocade and am wondering if this is still for sale also.

No, the UltiMulti cartridge made by GaMBITS cart is not currently available. As of right now, I think that the only way to pick up any of the four Astrocade multicarts is to find them used on Ebay. The four multicarts that have been made for this system are:

http://www.ballyalley.com/documentation/multicarts/multicarts.html

Ken was going to upgrade the UltiMulti into a RAM expansion unit, but I think that those plans are now on hold. In the meantime, you can always play the cartridge games in MAME.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

As of 1/1/17

I have 1 more UltiMulti Version 2.5B left for sale already made and ready to ship.

I also have 1 Lil' WHITE RAM 32K expansion unit for sale. (There are 46 programs of the 163 on the UltiMulti V2.5B that require some form of extended memory)

Both are new, and I can ship within 2 business days.

If any more are wanted, I will require 50% down ( I will need to order PC boards) and it will take 2-4 weeks to get parts, assemble, test and ship.

I did say the price is going up..

They are each $125.00 + $15.00 P&H

If both are ordered, one P&H fee will be dropped.

Ken Lill

GaMBITS

P.S. I will be discontinuing manufacture of any new products by year's end due to health problems.