IGNORED

Donkey Kong.........cereal

cvga

Another item I found tucked away in a box of stuff I had forgotten about...

DKCereal.jpg

It's a Donkey Kong Cereal animation cel (actually 4 cels stacked on top of each other). It's actually in pretty good shape but the picture has a glare from the camera where DK is dropping cereal "barrels". I really liked this cell because it has Mario, Donkey Kong, Pauline and a set of girders and ladders. I'm going to add getting this framed to my list of things to do :)

• Like 2

It was! Right down to how it would scratch the roof of your mouth and make it feel "raw". :lol:

That's because you needed to use the hammer first to pulverize it before eating it!

Turns out that there were several Donkey Kong cereal commercials. Here's one that has some animation at the very beginning that looks just like my cel (although I don't see my particular cel in this commercial).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyZ2POWLpz4

Turns out that there were several Donkey Kong cereal commercials. Here's one that has some animation at the very beginning that looks just like my cel (although I don't see my particular cel in this commercial).

Actually, that commercial is indeed the source of what you have--except that the layers that you have do not all come from the same shot. Here's a somewhat clearer rendition of the commercial (FYI, I enclosed the clip's URL within BBcode "media" tags to get it to embed):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5Lncx4IBU

My first clue, prior to seeing the commercial itself, was that Mario's shadow in your picture doesn't align with the girder on top of which it lies. Sure, it could have been just an animation error, but it seemed a bit too obvious a mistake for a professional commercial, so I went looking for the footage.

Here are your layers and where they appear in the commercial (using timings from the clip directly above):

- ladder and girders: 7-second mark

- Mario: 18-second mark

- Donkey Kong and Pauline: 27-second mark

- piece of cereal: can't tell, and don't really care :)

If you freeze-frame just right, you can see the exact moment where your individual layers are used.

Can you post the sequence data for each layer, the stuff written at the top and bottom? It does look like you have two A-layer (bottommost) cels.

I have a small (anime) cel collection myself, along with some original source pencil drawings. Most of my cels are single layers, but I do have a multi-layer shot from the opening titles of El-Hazard: The Magnificent World, which is my single most expensive cel purchase. I've gotten a couple of my cels signed as well (not by that given cel's particular artist, no, but by notable staff members for the given show).

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Actually, that commercial is indeed the source of what you have--except that the layers that you have do not all come from the same shot.

[some stuff deleted]

Here are your layers and where they appear in the commercial (using timings from the clip directly above):- ladder and girders: 7-second mark- Mario: 18-second mark- Donkey Kong and Pauline: 27-second mark- piece of cereal: can't tell, and don't really care :)

Wow! Thanks for all of that! Here are the markings on each cel...

Piece of cereal ... A. 13 (1 < 6)

Donkey Kong ... SC 13 (A6)

Mario ... A6 (22)

Girders...SCIA (106)

Thanks again! It's very cool to see the actual commercial that these were used in!

Wow! Thanks for all of that! Here are the markings on each cel...

Piece of cereal ... A. 13 (1 < 6)

Donkey Kong ... SC 13 (A6)

Mario ... A6 (22)

Girders...SCIA (106)

Thanks again! It's very cool to see the actual commercial that these were used in!

You're welcome . . . but wow, I . . . don't have a clue what's up with those markings. Why are there so many and seemingly in different formats? I'm afraid I'll be no help interpreting those. I only know how to read layer/sequence numbers (A3, D28, B35/END, etc.) in the corner, most often upper right. Of those cels, only the Donkey Kong one seems like it could really be layer A and sixth in its shot's sequence. And the piece of cereal being layer A seems unlikely.

It definitely is cool seeing the actual footage in which a cel you own was used. In particular, you get to see how much more is visible in your cel, before the camera came in and cropped the image (and that's even before SDTV sets' inherent overscan). Note that a lot of your girders cel's image is actually not visible in the commercial itself. Granted, it's much more exciting when it isn't girders. :) Sometimes it's kind of sad what amount of detail in a cel was left out of the on-screen image.

Do you remember where/when/how you got those cels, by the way? I assume they all came together; I wonder if the previous owner thought they were all from the same shot, or knew they weren't but neglected to tell you.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

They definitely came together. They still have the staple holding them together. I may have just assumed that they were meant to be one shot. I don't recall what was specifically said but I do know they were not described as coming from multiple shots. I know I bought them online and I'm fairly certain I bought them prior to eBay. I likely got them from an ad on the old r.v.g.c. newsgroups.

They definitely came together. They still have the staple holding them together. I may have just assumed that they were meant to be one shot. I don't recall what was specifically said but I do know they were not described as coming from multiple shots. I know I bought them online and I'm fairly certain I bought them prior to eBay. I likely got them from an ad on the old r.v.g.c. newsgroups.

r.v.g.c.? Hmm. Is that rec.videogames.general.collecting or something?

One last question about your cels: do you remember if they came alone? Or did they come with other stuff? You didn't mention anything else, so I'd guess not, but at least in my experience, animation cel purchases often come with pencil drawings. They're often not for the cel they've been bundled with, maybe not even from the same show/movie/whatever--and sometimes they're as mundane as a drawing just of a character's mouth--but they're pretty cool to find, too. In a way, they're "more original" than a cel; whereas most of the work on a cel is just painting predetermined areas, the original pencil-on-paper drawing that was photocopied onto the transparent sheet contains not only the original handiwork of the line art in the cel, but also the coloring directions that resulted in the fully painted cel. So if you got any pencil drawings, those would be great to share, too. But again, if you just got a mouth or some random debris, maybe not. :)

By the way, now that you know your layers are from different parts of the commercial, do you plan to frame them separately? Here's my suggestion: frame each layer with a printed-out mini screen cap of the frame in the commercial from which it comes (there's plenty of empty space in each layer where that could go). I, uh, suppose this would leave the piece of cereal unframed, unless you can find a clear enough rendition of the commercial for identifying where it is. Mind you, I've never done this myself, but I've thought about it. Also, if your cels have become stuck to each other, it might be better to leave them stacked together.

That's a gorgeous film cell. Fantastic find.

Nitpick alert: these are not film cells. Animation cels are, for one thing, much bigger than film cells, and rather than being the result of photography, they come prior to any photography (animation cels are hand-painted, then assembled with a background, and then photographed, in traditional non-digital animation methods).

But, I agree, his cels do look quite good. There doesn't seem to be any fading (the photocopied black lines can deteriorate over time, particularly with exposure to sunlight).

onmode-ky

• Like 1

That's all I received. I definitely want to frame them but I haven't decided about keeping them together or seperating them. I really like the idea of capturing the screen shot from the commercial. They're still in good shape because they've been hiding in a folder inside of a manilla envelope inside of a plastic storage container for the past few years. I'll post a picture after they are framed but it probably won't be until sometime this summer. Thanks again for all of your help. You certainly added to my enjoyment of these cels!

r.v.g.c.? Hmm. Is that rec.videogames.general.collecting or something?

I'm pretty sure he meant R.G.V.C. That's the old rec.games.video.classic newsgroup. Used to be a great discussion forum for classic games until about the mid-200's when traffic started to wind down considerably. It's completely dead now, sadly. Everyone seems to have migrated to the web forums such as this one. I do miss it though, as it was populated by some really cool people.