IGNORED

How many systems have you ditched?

Also Dreamcast, for the same reason I sold my Lynx. OK, you dragged it outta me. I had to pay for the 40" LCD TV I broke in a nongaming-related rage, 5 yrs ago this past Monday. Parted with some Jag games too, but I dont know how to quit that system.

Ditched? As in sold/given away/gotten rid of? ZERO. :P

I second that..Zero

What these two said. Essentially, I only get what I know I want, so I don't have to get rid of anything. I will admit to never playing my Game Boy and Game Boy Color, though, since I have an SP and a GBA backlight, but it takes up so little room, there's no point in getting rid of them.

I've "ditched" 3 systems.

First, the Coleco Adam I had. It hurt, but as much as I "always wanted one" and was thrilled when I got it, I realized that I just wasn't using it that much. It was too nice a system to just sit there, so I traded it to someone who really wanted it and would use it more..

Similar with teh TI99/4a. I just didn't use it that much, so I gave it away.

The other system was a 520STF.. I didn't realize when I got it that not having the "m" on the model name meant I couldn't use it without a monitor, which I didn't have..

Yeah, I could have gotten a monitor or done something with a cable, but it just wasn't that important...

(Of course, that "something with a cable" is limited without the "m")

Although had I gotten an "m" model and used it, I might have felt differently, who knows..

After I purged those 3, I decided not to get any more systems unless I "knew" I was going to use them... Not just if I was kind of interested in them..

desiv

Edited by desiv

I've sold many systems over the years. Not necessarily because I was "ditching" or "giving up" on them, but more so because I needed money (and now I'm kicking myself for it the majority of the time).

Even the ones that have little reason to be played again, like the Game.Com, I'd like to have in the collection again for, well, collection purposes. It's a part of gaming hardware history (for better or for worse). Likewise with the Tapwave Zodiac. That was one that actually had a lot of potential, but there's little reason to actually invest in one for game playing these days.

Keep in mind I'd like to just have the hardware in my collection for systems like that. Maybe a game or two to keep with them in their system boxes. I don't care about collecting the games anymore, I do actually find myself ditching many of those. Just not worth the time in this day and age.

What these two said. Essentially, I only get what I know I want, so I don't have to get rid of anything. I will admit to never playing my Game Boy and Game Boy Color, though, since I have an SP and a GBA backlight, but it takes up so little room, there's no point in getting rid of them.

That's awesome. My luck has been less than optimal. I've had many situations where, even after doing my research, having the product in my hand brought deal breaking surprises. For instance, I've always wanted a Poqet PC but it turns out the screen is barely readable (for me).

I have always been a very selective collector, so I've not had too much to get rid of over the years.

In 1983, I sold my first 2600 to (partially) finance the puchase of a Coco.

I left my Parent's house in 1998; at that time I/they gave away an IBM Portable PC, a very well-used 486 desktop PC, and the above-noted Coco.

They moved to another city in 2001, so I came home to help them pack the house, and I dumped a pile of magazines -- I could not give away 12 full years of Byte! -- and other things.

Nah, i got it in box at a garage sale w/ 4 controllers, 2 VMUs, & a buncha games for $30, so I made money on it. IIRC user tjb has it. I remember being very impressed by whatever hockey game I got w/ it.

My 15-yr run of EGM, complete PSM & OPM runs, & tons of Game Informer, was slowly given to a co-worker, who recycled them as he got thru them. Dont miss them a bit but it seems like I should.

I sold my Channel F, RCA Studio II, Atari 2600, Astrocade, Odyssey 2, Intellivision, Microvision, VIC-20, Atari 5200, Colecovision, Arcadia 2001, Vectrex, Commodore 64, Atari 7800, Atari XEGS, Sega Master System, TurboGrafx-16, TurboDuo, Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, Sega CD, 32X, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Atari Lynx, Virtual Boy, 3DO, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, Game.com, and Neo Geo Pocket Color. And my Laseractive blew its fuse and got sold for parts before I ever even owned a Laserdisc game.

Not because I really wanted to but because of needing money to move out.

I can still play Sega Master System via Everdrive on Genesis and Game Boy via the recently reacquired GBC and GBA, or via Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player or emulation on PSP. The main ones I would like back that I currently have no way of playing besides emulation are: Atari 2600, Atari XEGS, Atari 7800, TurboGrafx-16 (going for Japanese PC Engine Duo), Neo Geo CD, Sega CD, 32X, and 3DO. I could live with emulating Virtual Boy on the Wii due to being more practical but would still enjoy having a VB again as a collector piece. Instead of starting with Neo Geo AES I might prefer an MVS so I can get the games that were never released in AES form, such as Puzzle Bobble 1 & 2.

Of course I replaced a lot of these in later years:

Atari 2600/Colecovision - My parents gave away my original 2600 and CV in the late 80's when I went to college to my sister. My nephews pretty much destroyed the systems. lol

3DO - Sold. Mid 90's....just didn't care for it. No interest in any of the games.

N64 - Sold within a few days. Saturn and PS1 in the mid to late 90's were the thing for me and it only had a handful of games I liked. Huge letdown for me.

PS1 - Original sold for a slim model with portable screen.

PS2 - Original fat sold for a slim model.

Dreamcast\Gamecube - Sold and then re-bought within a few years. Mistake on selling these. :P

I still have my original NES, Genesis and SNES and I'm kind of proud of that.

• Like 1

Atari 5200 - found in a thrift store, experimented with, enjoyed, fixed-up, and sold. (I had an Atari 800 as a kid). Overall too bulky for me, at the time.

EDIT: (Oh and I failed to mention the) Atari 800 - Had my childhood CIB 800 with FDD and tape drives all tucked away at dad's house. Came home after I'd moved away and found it had been given away–along with my CIB 2600–like Taco Bell gives out hot sauce!

Atari ST/XE computers - used to find scores of these things in thrift stores of the late '90s. Enjoyed, fixed-up, and sold. Couldn't find the time to expand them the way I'd hoped.

Odyssey 2 - Found a CIB with CIB games at an estate sale. Tested, nostalgia-ized, and sold. Just had trouble enjoying this one.

Coleco ADAM - Found my ADAM (Expansion Module #3) probably in some thrift store in the '90s. Like all of the above systems (and clutter), it was too bulky. Experimented with hacking apart the printer to free the power supply for space-saving goodness. Utterly failed (long before AtariAge Forums), and junked the printer. The rest of the system was sold off.

N64 - I have one for sale with 18 games, actually! Boxed this up in anticipation of a sale, but no-go on eBay. Market's saturated! Loved the system, but I'm way too occupied with other things.

Wii - Our Wii just sits there. It was bought by my wife before we got together, so she could do the Wii Workout thing, lol.

Edited by phattyboombatty

I'll need to provide a little background for my answer ...

For quite a while, I never owned more than one console and one handheld at a time. The majority of my current collection was repurchased over the years, except for 2 systems. Basically up to the release of the Xbox 360, I'd always sell my previous console and game in order to finance the purchase of the new system.

I have since repurchased every system I used to own, with the exception on the original Xbox. I simply have no desire to own one. Apart from Panzer Dragoon Orta, I can't think for another game I'd be interested to replay. It's not that I didn't enjoy the system. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I simply have no interest to go back to it, like I do with other systems.

So there's my answer. The only system I've completely got rid of is the original Xbox.

I don't think I've ever ditched a system; only replaced 'em.

I sold my PS1 to buy a Gamecube (huge mistake), but I already had a PS2 at the time. And I let my sister take the family NES and SNES to college... but I got them back. :)

Still can't even bring myself to dump the Game.com, N-Gage, controller-less 5200, or spare Genesii.

Amiga CD32 - wanted the money, barely ever used it. Sort of sad to let it go, no fault of the system itself.

Nintendo DS lite - wanted the money, since getting Android devices used it even less than before. Of the hundreds of games I had, there were only half a dozen or so I liked anyway. To much of a kids system for my liking, and just no power compared to even cheap mobile phones.

XBox original - OK, I've still got it. But I bought it used and including games and extra stuff bought it's been somewhat of a wasted $150 or so.

I listed it for sale probably twice, should have taken the offers I received but they were under what I wanted. Now, the system and 8 or so games I have for it would be lucky to fetch much over 50 bucks, so I've not exactly put any further effort into getting rid of it.

Still can't even bring myself to dump the Game.com,

I've still got my game.com. Only because it's not worth anything!

I've found good games on every system I've ever owned, but sometimes it wasn't worth keeping them. Not enough hours in the day, and not enough time left on the planet to play and replay every game. I had my fun w/ some of these systems, time to move on and sell them to someone else who will use them (before they get destroyed by moves, floods, attic heat, etc).

On that note, I forgot one: sold my Astrocade as well. Plugged it in once every 5 years, didn't want it to disintegrate sitting in the attic in Florida heat. Don't regret it.

Great thread topic loon!

Commodore PET with the built in tape dec; wish I still had this. They had a characteristic sound that was really unique and inspiring and a classic green CRT built in. I destroyed some circuitry in a CoCo VDG trying to interface it but the text and semigraphics modes continued to function.

All the different models of the CoCo besides the III including the MC-10 and all of which I miss; the only one I have today is the III and it's not as cool - I have both Pitfalls btw and think the first is much better though you need the combination of the speech and sound cart and the multipack adaptor for the full experience (don't have those).

TRS-80 Model II - don't miss it.

1979 Chess Challenger 7 computer - Miss it because it was awesome for a 4k Chess program (1300-1400 rating like Atari Video Chess) and because it was my Dad's :)

Also ditched my 1040ST-FM some time back and shortly after bought a Mac 68020 model from the bloke I sold it to. Got even less use than the ST, so ditched that after a few years.

Ended up being given another 1040ST-FM and bought an STe with 4 Meg. Don't get much use though.

My mom got me an Atari Lynx when I was a teenager. I had four games for it, then I loaned it to some kid who fried it, presumably by improperly setting the universal adapter for it. I got a replacement in 2005, which I played a couple times and shelfed it. I picked it up in 2012, and to my horror it quit working. I still can't get rid of the dead Lynx. I wish I had master modding skills because I'd love to make a "portendo" out of it.

Got a Game Boy Color in 1998, but my love for retro got started when I discovered a CIB NES action set in my own garage, in 2002. Over the years all the other Nintendo systems followed. In December 2006, burgalers helped themselves to my Game Cube w/ Game Boy Player still attached, all my Game Cube games, and an N64. I Re-bought everything.

Only non-Nintendo systems I've owned besides the afformentioned Lynx are PS2 ultra slim, PS3Slim 160Gb (primarily for Little Big Planet and BluRay), Genesis Model 1, Atari 4-switch woodgrain, and Ouya.

Systems I've ditched:

Various childhood Tiger Electronic LCDs, Goodwill/Garage Sale. I don't regret it but I'm glad I had the forsight to keep my Nintendo Game N Watch handhelds.

PS2. I never could really get into the console despite people saying it has the best library. Nothing really called out to me so I dumped it at Game-X-Change along with a couple grocery sackfuls of unwanted games from various systems.

Traded in my DSi and launch model black 3DS. (I upgraded to 3DS xL - way better screen and battery life)

Dead / defective:

Atari Lynx, twice... :sad:

Wii with corrupted system memory. Still boots but crashes frequently. I was extremely lucky to have all my downloads transfer successfully to wii-U. Turn off Connect24; it's bad for your Wii. Nintendo's already disabled the service so it's foolish and pointless at this point to leave it running.

My original Game Boy Color. Busted speaker but otherwise works great with headphones. Oh well, I've got GBA and Game Boy Player.

A few, and I'm in the process of preparing to "ditch" more. This has much more to do with refocusing what I'm collecting for than anything else. Mostly I had the good luck over the years to aquire many many consoles and not all of them are my cup of tea.

For example, I'm not much for the PS1. It was a great console at the time, but there just isn't too much that really draws me to it these days. When I sit down to play games and I start looking over my games I look right past all the PS1 stuff to the VCS stuff and play that instead. This has been happening for years so I'm going to let my PS1 stuff go. Just having it isn't as much fun as it used to be for me. If I can't or wont play it, I am going to let someone that will play it get it.