IGNORED

Is a 32x safe to use on a CDX?

TaskenLander

There's a couple of games that aren't compatible with the 32X (uhhh regular Virtua Fighter IIRC? Just play 32X version, problem solved) but other than that you are GTG. The inserts can't really hold the 32X in place properly so you might have to jiggle it a bit to keep it steady.

It looks kind of goofy sitting on top of any Genesis so I wouldn't worry about that haha! My Genny 1 w/32X and Sega CD 2 is an unholy monster. An unholy monster of awesome fun game time!

• Like 1

Going from what I'm hearing, I think I will just forgo the 32x, for now at least, as it is something of an eyesore and as it sits the CDX is a very, IMO at least, sexy looking console by itself.

Thanks for the feedback/info.

What exactly are you hearing? The majority of people here are telling you that it's fine. I've used my 32x with the CDX many times. It works fine and doesn't damage the CDX in any way.

The only real downside is that you can't really play CD games with multiple discs which the 32x is attached. This is because the 32x blocks the CD door from opening.

I use a 32X with my CDX without any trouble. I prefer using the 32X with that setup versus the Genesis / Sega CD / 32X as the CDX eliminates 1 power brick. :)

Waaaay back in the day I'd called Sega about it when they were still a company that made hardware. Had a long conversation with a dude who had to check with his supervisor like 100X. He basically ... intimated to me that it would work just fine without the "spacer" (that never got produced), but that it wasn't approved by FCC or some bs like that and so he couldn't officially tell me it was ok to use. :) So the answer was "No, don't use the 32x with the CDX. *whisper* But really, go ahead and use it". :)

Eh, I'm just not sure how many good games there are that would make it worth wild.

Take a look at the list of available games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_32X_games

If you still don't know if any of these will interest you, download a copy of Kega Fusion, download a few ROMs and give them a try. A 32x that's complete with all the cables isn't exactly pocket change (they don't cost a fortune either), so you're best to see if it actually interests you before buying one.

What's your obsession with damaging the cart slot? It's the same as plugging in any cartridge.

And the 32X won't be touching anything aside from the inside of the cartridge slot. There's a large gap between the base of the 32X and the top of the CDX because Sega never released a proper spacer for the combo.

Going from what I'm hearing, I think I will just forgo the 32x, for now at least, as it is something of an eyesore and as it sits the CDX is a very, IMO at least, sexy looking console by itself.

Thanks for the feedback/info.

Hmm You will be missing games like: Blackthrone, Golf Magazine, Knuckles Chaotix, and Metal Head

And enhanced ports of games like: Doom, Afterburner, Mortal Kombat II, Primal Rage, and NBA JAM

And 32X plugs are not expensive. It seems to have a better library than the Sega CD imo. Unless you want that Corpse Killer and Mad dog Mccree

• Like 1

I'm fairly OCD. Just wanted to make sure the weight or strain of the add-on wouldn't distress/risk damage to the CDX, which did not come cheap.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback.

I have had the same set-up nothing will happen. In fact, what you are worried about it technically impossible, and you will se why once you get the 32x. Which you will be getting.

The only real downside is that you can't really play CD games with multiple discs which the 32x is attached. This is because the 32x blocks the CD door from opening.

It only blocks it slightly. The door opens enough to change discs without unplugging the CDX. I do it all the time... just use a LITTLE more care when exchanging CDs and you're fine. It's not like the X'Eye where the 32X physically holds the CD door closed completely.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It would be awesome if someone discovered a prototype of that spacer. Then there would be the possibility of being able to duplicate it through the use of 3D Printing.

Hmm, one could certainly be engineered. I wonder if it had an additional set of connectors in there to actually space the CDX further apart from the 32X? I don't know how else it could actually do anything... like hold the two systems far enough apart to allow the CD door to open easily. If it were nothing but plastic, it seems it would only obstruct the door even worse.