IGNORED

Arthritis of the thumb

Zeus

A funny thing occurred to me. A couple of weeks ago I pulled out the old Atari and decided to start playing and collecting. The only problem is, that after about five minutes of playing, my thumb is in serious pain! :sad: I think it's because I broke it while playing football in high school. Anyone else suffering from game-limiting thumb injuries?

This reminds me of a story...

It's 1983. My mom and I go to visit my grandmother, and she's complaining about her thumbs hurting.

"Arthritis?" my mom asks.

"No," my grandmother replies. "It's that damn Pac-Man!"

Yes, after bringing my Atari 2600 over to her house when I was sleeping over one time, she got so hooked on Pac-Man that she had my dad go out and buy her her own Atari. She played Pac-Man incessantly.

It made it nice that she had an Atari, though, because I spent all day every day at her house that summer while my parents were at work, and I could just bring my carts over instead of hauling the whole system!

This is what happens when there is an activity performed with your hands for too long a time without breaks. I know that it is hard to tear yourself away from a game when you are having fun but it is necessary to avoid having problems like the kind that has been discussed.

This must be pretty common - remember Imagic had the Numb Thumb club after all :)

I had a lot of pain in my hands for a while from gaming. I found if I switch around to different systems/controllers instead of marathoning on 1, it doesn't happen as often.

my intellivison controller put giant blisters on my thumbs from excessive pad use, and my 2600 joystick made me have to get a thumb splint at one point from too much manual rapid fire. i wonder how you would hurt your thumb playing pacman tho, the game doesnt even use the fire button. i could see severe hand cramping if you were getting too involved tho :-)

i wonder how you would hurt your thumb playing pacman tho, the game doesnt even use the fire button.  :-)

Maybe if you were his "Grandmother" you would understand. I

would imagine if its his grandmother and he's 8-10, she must be

around 60 or older. She probably doesn't need to play Pac-Man

for her thumb to hurt. I'm 55 and my thumb hurts half the time

without touching a joystick. Older people, wait til you find out,

get pains almost everywhere at one time or another.

I've found that drinking lots of water cures most problems with pain in hands after playing video games. The problem seems to occur from longs sessions of play with no water to drink and dehydration sets in. Coffee and sodas seem to worsen the problem, water is the best to help. If you just started playing again, you can expect a certain amount of soreness to occur until you get back into competition shape. :D

you might have carpal tunnel syndrome

a condition caused by compression of a nerve where it passes through the wrist into the hand and characterized especially by weakness, pain, and disturbances of sensation in the hand

try eating more food that has iron in it, but then again, i love stories of old football injuries :)

I've developed a permanent "click" in my thumb. Sounds alot like when you crack your knuckles or stretch your back...I simply bend my thumb repeatedly and and I can produce a click-click-click sound.

The pain has long since passed. I just have this stupid click sound to remind me that I've got years of gaming behind me.