IGNORED

Just got into Neo Geo/Bought Neo Geo CD...thoughts/reviews/tips?

mtshark7

Ok so I got the system over the weekend, and it is a Japanese console cos when the menu comes up it's in Japanese lettering.

I heard you can do a mod to switch it over to English? Does anyone know a good site that had directions on how to do the language mod for this?

Also I noticed with mine it doesn't boot the game up initially, you have to press start at the cd player menu to load the game up.

I also got scared cos when I tried to go back to the menu and put in a different game and try and load that game it would come up disc read error?

I then cleaned the discs and the lens with an alcohol swab and it seems to work perfectly since.

Just need to get some more games for it.

Ok so I got the system over the weekend, and it is a Japanese console cos when the menu comes up it's in Japanese lettering.

I heard you can do a mod to switch it over to English? Does anyone know a good site that had directions on how to do the language mod for this?

No tutorial needed.. Open up the system, take the motherboard off its mounts. Look on the back side, you will see a jumper and an area that lists different territories (one is for Japan I believe, one is for US, etc). Simply remove the jumper (it's soldered in), and remount it to the US slot. That's it! Super easy, even I could do it (and I suck at soldering and what-not).
Keep in mind the text doesn't really effect much, and even when the games are in English, there is a very "Engrish" vibe to everything, the translations are kind of bad. But it's definitely worth it if you care about that sort of thing, even as bad as it is.

Also I noticed with mine it doesn't boot the game up initially, you have to press start at the cd player menu to load the game up.

Yes, this is normal. Don't worry! Just hit "Start" after the system boots up.
Also keep in mind, you can hold all four buttons and press start when in a game--it will revert back to this CD player screen. That way you can change games without powering off the system and powering it back on.

The best use for the region select is to enable blood and bouncy boobs. Certain regions have censorship on certain things. Japan has red blood and bouncy boobs, but everything is in Japanese. The US has white blood and no bouncy boobs, but English text. I believe Europe has red blood and English text but no bouncy boobs (or white blood and bouncy boobs, I can't remember which). I have a three way switch on mine to select the one I want on the fly.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind, you can hold all four buttons and press start when in a game--it will revert back to this CD player screen. That way you can change games without powering off the system and powering it back on.

Austin: I try doing that with mine and it keeps coming up with a disc read error. Seems like the previous game is loaded into memory and when I try to load up a new game it tries to load up the game I just stopped. Is there a setting I have to change for it to clear the memory when it goes to the cd player screen?

I found this site to do the language mod..and violence/content mod according to Tempest:

http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/techdocs/sai/languagemodbysai.html

Had no idea it affected the content of the game...how lame!

Tempest: If I wanted a 3 way switch what would they be called? I know to in order to switch between two you need a SPST switch.

Mark, in that case with what you are experiencing, it is probably best to power the system off then when changing games.

Tempest, good catch on the blood and boobs thing, that completely slipped my mind! Last Blade 2 just isn't quite the same with white blood. Not that anyone in their right mind would want to play the Neo CD version though. :P

Tempest, good catch on the blood and boobs thing, that completely slipped my mind! Last Blade 2 just isn't quite the same with white blood. Not that anyone in their right mind would want to play the Neo CD version though. :P

I just pretend people are those androids from the Aliens movies. If white blood was good enough for Ash and Bishop then it's good enough for me. ;)

• Like 2

Ok so I successfully finished adding the language mod switch. Now apparently the cd activation button (the thing that lets the system know the door is closed, is stuck!

Is there anyway to fix that? It is the thing to the right of the CD door holder right? the circle thing?

Ugh I thought I fixed it by opening it up and locating the cd activation button and twisting and pushing it from the underside to pop it back into place...but now it got jammed up again!

Now I know the reason why I couldn't swap discs from the CD player menu, haha...gonna use wd-40 and an alcohol swab to lubricate it and hopefully that should work.

Edited by Mark T

Hm.. I haven't worked on the CD tray button. Sorry to hear it's getting stuck, the same thing happened on another one of my older CD-based systems. It was just a one-time thing for me with that though, so I don't have much advice to give.

If the lubricating aspect doesn't work, you could possibly try slightly filing down the piece on the sides, it might be catching on the side walls as it's going up and down.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Buy a safe-for-plastic lubricant like white lithium grease.

I thought WD-40 is a multi purpose lubricant?

I did end up using WD-40 on the cd activation button and it ended up fixing the jamming and now works perfectly! I was careful enough to spray the WD-40 on a Q-tip and wipe the Q-tip on the activation pin...Once i got the WD-40 on the spring is when it started to finally un-jam completely.

I wouldn't have harmed the console using WD-40 on a Q-tip right?

So far it works perfectly and plays all my games 100% and I'm able to swap discs at the cd player menu since it knows when I open and close the disc tray.

I have found yahoo answers on the topic with WD-40 and plastic:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101019182719AAvWtd8

Edited by Mark T

WD-40 is more of a solvent, or temporary lubricant. Meant for loosening stuck bolts and whatnot. The WD-40 that you used is probably going to evaporate and the problem will return. Not a big deal since now you know that lubrication fixes the problem, but next time use something that wil last. Just make sure that it's safe for use with plastic, like I said.

• Like 1

WD-40 is more of a solvent, or temporary lubricant. Meant for loosening stuck bolts and whatnot. The WD-40 that you used is probably going to evaporate and the problem will return. Not a big deal since now you know that lubrication fixes the problem, but next time use something that wil last. Just make sure that it's safe for use with plastic, like I said.

Chris: Yea i figured as much....I'm just glad it won't damage my console, that was my main concern. Would you or anyone know what I should use for next time?

Didn't like the last Neo-Geo game in Japan come out like in 2012? That was a VERY long lifespan for the system.

BITD I wanted both a Neo-Geo and 3DO SO badly. They both looked totally awesome and blew the water out of my SNES that I had. But when I saw the price tags for the systems (and furthermore for the games) I just about had a heart attack. I'll have to look it up, but if I recall right, the $700 that the Neo-Geo was when it came out in the early 90's is about $1200 in today's money! :-o

Didn't like the last Neo-Geo game in Japan come out like in 2012? That was a VERY long lifespan for the system.

Nah, the last official release was Samurai Shodown V Special and that came out in 2004 (US and Japan). There have been a few homebrews and proto releases, but nothing official.