IGNORED

CIB games and your collecting goals / methods

CIB GAMES  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What are your guidelines for collecting games?

• Only collect CIB and never open them
    • Only collect CIB but I DO open them
    • Only collect loose
    • I don't care if it is CIB or loose I just want to play the game !
    • Prefer with box but not complete OK
    • Prefer CIB but not sealed OK
    • Collect both dependent on the price / deal

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Just occurred to me, other than a few new homebrews 99% of my collection is loose. Oh I have instructions for many and I have always considered myself a gamer more then a serious collector and so I rather save money buying loose. I do admit though I was just thinking just now, it must be pretty damn cool to obtain a classic original game and have it complete and presented as it was the day it was released. To open the box, take out the cartridge (or disk etc) and the manual and maybe some offers or other items that may of originally came with the release.

Is it worth the premium usually associated with CIB? Clearly it is for some and there is no right or wrong only personal preference. I think sometime soon though I may attempt to pick up a classic game that is complete. Not necessarily and expensive or popular title, I just want to experience that feeling that I might have back in the day, I don't expect it to change my collecting habits really as they are bound by financial and practical reasons but I think I might treat myself. With that I I ask, what are you comments and thoughts about CIB? In your opinion the ups and downs, whether it is worth it etc. I figured I would make this poll also just to see how the votes go. THANKS.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

I chose "don't care" but I should add a caveat - I don't care about completeness for certain systems but do for others. For example Genesis, Master System, and TG-16 I like to have complete if possible. Systems like the Atari 2600/7800/8-bit, Coco, NES, SNES, CV, GB/GBC/GBA, etc can be loose. I think there are a few who feel the same way. The plastic cases for the Sega line are nice and look good on a shelf. Same with TG-16.

It's nice to get a boxed Atari game and there are some I would like to get boxes for, especially the artwork but it's not absolutely necessary.

• Like 2

The Jag, O2, RCA Studio II, Microvision and Fairchild are the only systems where I try to aim for CIB (NIB not necessary) when getting games (though for the Jag I recently settled for an almost CIB of Castle Wolfenstein - if anyone has an extra overlay they are willing to part with I'd be interested). For INTV games I'm interested in, I've tended to lean towards Cart+Manual+Overlay (no box neccessary). Other systems I'll get any kind of copy if I am interested in the game. I don't purchase with the intent to keep them sealed though there are some Jag games on my shelf I haven't gotten around to trying out yet that are still sealed. If sealed, I do use a knife to just slit the plastic and open carefully. It is an interesting experience to open up a sealed copy of a game you know was made 15-20 years ago and looking through the new still crisp, unbroken binding manual.

• Like 1

It depends on what I'm actually "collecting". If I'm just buying random games on a whim, I prefer CIB, but if the price is right I'll do cart-only or disc-only. In the case of something like the Saturn and Sega CD these days, I'll also consider disc-only because the cases are too damn big. I'm at a point where I don't want games taking up half my apartment anymore, so disc only in those cases can save a lot of space.

If I'm focusing on an actual collection, and not just buying games for whatever means (like, completing my Castlevania collection, or getting the full library of a particular system), then it's always CIB for me, at least for disc-based systems. Cart-based, cart-only is fine (say, SNES, or NES).

• Like 2

I started out collecting only loose carts/discs/cards, as it was both economical and allowed me to play on original hardware. Now, I have flashcarts and multicarts for most of my systems, so I have now moved towards collecting CIB when possible...for the sake of collecting. I love the box art...it feels like a time warp every time I walk into my game room. I just love it!

As far as collecting goes, CIB collecting is something new for me to work at. It's like a whole new start at the hobby for me...now, when I am hunting on eBay, craigslist or at local garage sales, even the common titles that are CIB are of interest. I know that the rare gems are going to be out of my reach (for the most part), but once in a while, you find a deal. The other day I scored the box to Espial 2600 off of eBay for around $50. ;) :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I've always been a collector of all sorts but also a gamer. I'd say 90% of my collection is loose. I collect loose carts mainly but am saving up for the SD Multicarts. I only collect for the ColecoVision and NES right now and I only have a few CIB games for each system, more with the CV homebrews I started collecting recently (I have 6 of em now). I have more CIB NES games than ColecoVision and At the moment I'm trying to snag up my absolute favorite NES games CIB, despite already having the carts (and some manuals). That would be R.C. Pro Am Racing and The Black Bass plus a few others. I just picked up a box for Monster Truck Rally for pretty cheap off eBay but no manual.. So I don't know if that counts as CIB or not. I can't afford anymore right now though, I'm in bad shape financially. Lol

• Like 1

I initially collected primarily loose and picked up CIB when I could. Lately I've been focusing on CIB but will still pick up a loose game when there's no chance that I will ever be able to afford the CIB. The only problem I'm now running into is a lack of shelf room for all the CIB's I've acquired. A nice problem to have I guess. :)

• Like 1

I am perpetually upgrading items in my collection. More often than not, when I buy a game, I am buying a game I already have.

If I don't have a game, and I see a loose one I want at a good price, I get it.

If I see a loose one that is in better shape than the one I have, I get it.

If I see a boxed copy of a game I have loose, I grab it.

If I find a near mint complete copy of one that I have in lesser condition, I get it.

Obsessive? Maybe.. But it is fun.

The only thing that isn't fun is selling all of the lower condition items that I have replaced. That is a huge pain. Loose carts, I'll often sell off in big lots, but I take too much of a loss if I do that with boxed games.

• Like 4

I like to have at least one game CIB for each system, so I and other people can see what was the packaging like.

When it come to homebrew, however, they GOT to be CIB. I mean, after all, they aren't 15 years olf carts found in a dusty box. They are NEW games. New games comes with instructions and box, that's all. I never saw any shop selling a loose DVD of GTA V or COD or whatever, why should that be different for homebrews?

And I mean, large quantity made homebrews such as the ones sold on Atari Age. I can understand that a guy making 12 copies of his homebrew for friends and/or for anyone asking him can pass on making box and manual.

• Like 2

I collect loose. And by that, I guess I mean I don't go out of my way to get boxes and manuals and other stuff (notable exceptions being Studio II and Aquarius). For some systems like Odyssey 2 and Intellivision, boxes are nice to have since they're also functional, but for me they're not really essential.

Sometimes, boxed/CIB/NIB is the only way to go. For instance, I had to get 2600 Ikari Warriors NIB because that's essentially the only way to get it; loose copies are virtually nonexistent.

In most cases, I'm happy with a loose cartridge in good condition.

• Like 1

99% of my stuff is loose as I am a player more than a collector but where the $$$$ works I like to get some CIB things. I only have maybe 5 and they either came as part of another lot (2600 Yar's Revenge, Double Dribble + Robo Warrior for the NES) or were 7800 games where the difference between the boxed version and cart only was so low it seemed stupid NOT to get the boxed versions.

• Like 2

The Harmony cartridge has changed my attitude towards the 2600. It's 100% compatible and I'd rather save money and space for systems that don't have reliable flash solutions. I have a few choice carts (mostly loose, a few boxed - the one I'm most pleased with is my HES Australia CIB copy of Ghostbusters).

The SD2IEC is enough for my C64 needs. It's about 60% compatible at best, but it runs most of the games I want and it loads a lot quicker than a datasette or a 1541. I sometimes like to pop a cartridge in from time to time, but the tape and disk games don't get a look in anymore. The SD2IEC and a Mega-Cart is more or less enough for the VIC-20, but I still have a few tape games that haven't made the transition to digital media that well.

DivIDE is okay for the Spectrum, but it's a lot less compatible than the SD2IEC (esp. with the +2 model Speccy). If you want a decent library, you have to supplement the device with tape games which I would never buy loose.

For the Lynx, I don't feel any need for a flash device. The games are very cheap and very small. You can get a library of 40+ games without even trying. Same deal with the Game Gear.

Atari ST/Amiga - The ST is where my heart is. I have an UltraSatan hard drive and use a Blitz copier to make back-ups of disk games where possible. I buy the odd boxed game, but I tend to favour loose disks because they can be bought for a few quid and 3.5" disk games aren't durable enough to justify serious money.

Nintendo carts - the prices are insane so I tend to go for loose unless the game is available boxed for in and around £10.

Sega carts - CIB where possible unless the price for CIB is prohibitively expensive.

Sega/Sony/MS/Nintendo discs - I would never buy a loose CD/DVD game.

Edited by English Invader
  • Like 2

A while back I found a MIB Pitfall II for the Commodore 64 at a really good price. Buddy of mine was over when it arrived and he looked upon it with great awe. When he asked me what I planned to do with it I promptly removed the plastic wrapping, opened the box, pulled out the cartridge and exclaimed, "I'm going to play it!"

His eyes nearly popped out of his head and his jaw hit the ground. To answer his question about collectible worth, I said, "Trust me, collectors everywhere are happy when I open stuff like this up -- it makes theirs that much more valuable."

To echo what others here have said: I am a gamer, not a collector.

• Like 2