IGNORED

PS1, PS2 software emulation through firmware update?

cimerians

hmm:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

"Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. "

That would be cool but I cant see this happening.

I think everything will be streamed, that's the whole purpose of Playstation Now.

Then again they are STILL releasing classics on PS3 for purchase which they may continue on PS4.

Thoughts? Is PS2 emulation on PC pretty solid as they claim? I could never get PCX2 to run right on my PC....

There are quite a few PS1 titles that they released digitally (that I bought...) that I would like to be able to play on my PS4. I probably won't throw my PS3 back on the TV anytime soon so it'd be nice to have access to those games. I didn't mind the lack of BC with physical disks but the loss of those digital games was quite disheartening.

Though I suppose if they do bring PS1 support back, I'll have to buy all my games again. Ahh modern gaming.

I believe it. Playstation Now just won't work for the majority of people given the state of American ISPs (though it'll probably do really well in Japan). And Sony REALLY wants to resell you all those games you've already bought. Emulation is their backup plan if/when Playstation Now crashes and burns.

The saddest thing is, even if this happens I guarentee Sony will come up with a bullshit excuse for why you won't be able to play PS1/PS2 games from the discs.

I would love to have a way to play my original discs on the PS4, but I bet the emulation will be for downloaded games only, just like the PS2 emulation on PS3 that is limited to the games you can buy in the PSN.

Scrapping full backwards compatibility is the one move Sony made that really disappointed me. I was so excited when they introduced it with the PS2, after no major console manufacturer had offered it for a home console since the 7800 (the Genesis had the SMS built-in, yet they wanted to earn cash by requiring a pass through adaptor). But when they did away with it on PS3, to compete with the 360 and people swallowed it... it just showed people are ready to accept it.

Playstation Now isn't ready for the prime time. I think at this stage, it's more a way just to make money off the research & development stage for a technology that they're hedging their bets that it might represent the future.

If they get it right and it actually allows original discs to be played, the ability to enjoy my PS2 library on my HDTV is going to be a very tempting option.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if I could play PS1 and PS2 discs in my PS4. From a hardware standpoint it could absolutely do it, I mean the PS1 has been easy to emulate for years and now midrange PCs can emulate most PS2 games now as well. It's a bit of a shame that it doesn't support it at the moment.