IGNORED

Klax, Atari ST to Jaguar conversion

JagChris

I'll play Vladr's version of Klax, Jeff Minter never played Tempest and Tempest 2000 came out just fine so I don't see why someone needs to a play game to write code for a game.

WTF are you talking about? He owns a Tempest arcade, and grew up playing these titles (same with Defender, Robotron 2084, etc).

• Like 3

i think the gamelogic of klax is very trivial

Vlad will handle it easily ;-)

Well, if he didn't understand why the blocks flip and thought he could leave that away it kind of shows that while the coding may be trivial, he did not grasp the gameplay deeply enough from watching vids.

It's really a problem here I believe that many people feel the need to be extra nice to anyone willing to code for a machine (not only the Jaguar). We had that topic elsewhere a while ago, but it isn't helpful at all to keep telling people how great it will be what they do just out of habit. Constructive criticism is the key. Saying that playing a game is not neccessary to port it, "so pretty please do it anyway" is not good. The good and the bad both have to be said. And trivial as Klax may seem, I made a point that imo shows that the feeling of the game has not been grasped by vlad just by looking at vids. The devil lies in the details.

Supporting homebrewers is great, but AA has to get away from just cheering for every effort for the sake of it.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 6

Well said. The Jaguar has suffered many many years from people promising the world, boosting their egos to kingdom come on nonsense and ultimately producing nothing or right next to it. I think that's what a lot of the commentary towards Vlads efforts has been tuned towards. Especially the nonsensical 'benchmarking'.

Encouraging peoples effort is always a good thing, but cheering for the sake of cheering has lead to some of the worst shit ever released or put on cartridge. As an example in the 2600 area it's nearly an epidemic at this point. Thomas Jentzsch captured this problem nicely here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221930-flappo-bird/?view=findpost&p=2948845

In the Jaguar area in recent memory Blackout was an utterly horrendous non game, and it took a long time for anyone to even note that for these type of reasons...

• Like 6

I hear ya! I'm trying to talk him into getting the block to flip as well! And yes he needs to play the game some. He just straight up might not like the game after he plays it so.... I dunno.

Well, if he didn't understand why the blocks flip and thought he could leave that away it kind of shows that while the coding may be trivial, he did not grasp the gameplay deeply enough from watching vids.

It's really a problem here I believe that many people feel the need to be extra nice to anyone willing to code for a machine (not only the Jaguar). We had that topic elsewhere a while ago, but it isn't helpful at all to keep telling people how great it will be what they do just out of habit. Constructive criticism is the key. Saying that playing a game is not neccessary to port it, "so pretty please do it anyway" is not good. The good and the bad both have to be said. And trivial as Klax may seem, I made a point that imo shows that the feeling of the game has not been grasped by vlad just by looking at vids. The devil lies in the details.

Supporting homebrewers is great, but AA has to get away from just cheering for every effort for the sake of it.

OK, I'll start: Desert Bus.

If that wasn't shat out of the batari compiler in under an hour I'd be shocked. Like a few 2600 games recently, it feels like an excuse to make a pretty (or, in some cases, crushed) box and stuff some half arsed, bug ridden 'game' into it for ca$h.

Imagine paying $40-$50+ for these in the 80's......

Every time anyone mentions a plague of amateur 2600 titles they either never list definite examples or stuff that's way old. As an active 2600 homebrew developer I'd like to see examples cited - preferably recent ones so I can improve my own work.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 3

Desert Bus was unfortunate. I'm torn between giving it a free pass as a novelty or deriding it as a game.

I guess I get a little annoyed at seeing ambiguous statements about 2600 homebrew. It's not constructive.

You all have given me honest feedback about my own games and I'm thankful for that.. even if Random Terrain called my laser traps in Atarowg "spewing yak sperm" :)

• Like 1

If the proceeds had gone to P&T's charity, it would have been acceptable.

Honest feedback is a good thing, even if it makes you feel bad (Anyone who has ever let someone else play something they wrote will understand this)

Desert Bus was unfortunate. I'm torn between giving it a free pass as a novelty or deriding it as a game.

I guess I get a little annoyed at seeing ambiguous statements about 2600 homebrew. It's not constructive.

You all have given me honest feedback about my own games and I'm thankful for that.. even if Random Terrain called my laser traps in Atarowg "spewing yak sperm" :)

• Like 6

I was busy whole week, and had no time for replies. There's quite a lot of laughable nonsense in last few pages, but since I am flying for a vacation for a week today, I will get back to replying about a week from now, since I most certainly will not spoil the summer / travelling mood now :music:

Flip them goddamn blocks! FLIP 'EM!!

I was busy whole week, and had no time for replies. There's quite a lot of laughable nonsense in last few pages, but since I am flying for a vacation for a week today, I will get back to replying about a week from now, since I most certainly will not spoil the summer / travelling mood now :music:

Have a good vacation. :)

• Like 1