IGNORED

Microsoft Offering $100 towards Xbox One for PS3 Trade-In

StormSurge

Yeah, and that latest rumour is that they DO have a cost-reduced version of the Xbone, coming up at $399. But instead of ditching the blasted Kinect to reduce cost, it's going to DITCH THE OPTICAL DRIVE and keep the Kinect. If true, it won't be so surprising that this will be brought to you from the fine folks that delivered Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface Tablet, and however many other things that NOBODY WANTS.

I hope it's wrong; ditching Kinect and keeping the optical drive would be the sensible thing to do, which is probably why it won't be done.

• Like 2

I don’t think the $100 has to go toward the Xbox One. You get $100 of Microsoft store credit, which is about the same as what you would get if you traded it in at GameStop. The weird thing is – what the hell is MS gonna do with those PS3’s?

Burn them in a bonfire with a zozobra doll of Kutaragi?

Yeah 100 bucks credit for the purchase of a Surface...or Windows 8. :skull:

Yeah, and that latest rumour is that they DO have a cost-reduced version of the Xbone, coming up at $399. But instead of ditching the blasted Kinect to reduce cost, it's going to DITCH THE OPTICAL DRIVE and keep the Kinect. If true, it won't be so surprising that this will be brought to you from the fine folks that delivered Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface Tablet, and however many other things that NOBODY WANTS.

I hope it's wrong; ditching Kinect and keeping the optical drive would be the sensible thing to do, which is probably why it won't be done.

Nice. A downloads only console would make X-bone's former draconian always online, anti-sharing/used games policy a reality.

Bad Microsoft.

Clearly, if you have to have one or the other, PS4 is definitely the lesser of two evils. Do not forget however, the used game patent that Sony filed last year. The patent included using RFID tags embedded into the inner ring of the disc. The RFID tag uses an identifier that locks the game to the first console it's played on. Fortunately Sony was tight-lipped about it and did not have diarrhea-of-the-mouth at e3 last year like Microsoft did. So far the tech has not been enabled, but don't kid yourself: it's built into every console. Either MS or Sony could enact a used games ban on future titles halfway through the next gen, similar to how they started stuffing online pass codes in every game case midway through 7th generation.

I'm sticking to Wii-U, 3DS, and Ouya for my 8th generation gaming fix. And sadly I believe that 9th generation and above will be download only and spell doom for future retro gamers.

Nice. A downloads only console would make X-bone's former draconian always online, anti-sharing/used games policy a reality.

Bad Microsoft.

Clearly, if you have to have one or the other, PS4 is definitely the lesser of two evils. Do not forget however, the used game patent that Sony filed last year. The patent included using RFID tags embedded into the inner ring of the disc. The RFID tag uses an identifier that locks the game to the first console it's played on. Fortunately Sony was tight-lipped about it and did not have diarrhea-of-the-mouth at e3 last year like Microsoft did. So far the tech has not been enabled, but don't kid yourself: it's built into every console. Either MS or Sony could enact a used games ban on future titles halfway through the next gen, similar to how they started stuffing online pass codes in every game case midway through 7th generation.

I'm sticking to Wii-U, 3DS, and Ouya for my 8th generation gaming fix. And sadly I believe that 9th generation and above will be download only and spell doom for future retro gamers.

Don't you know you're only supposed to rip Microsoft here, while causing hilarity to ensue by changing their name to something else?

Yeah, and that latest rumour is that they DO have a cost-reduced version of the Xbone, coming up at $399. But instead of ditching the blasted Kinect to reduce cost, it's going to DITCH THE OPTICAL DRIVE

Well, it worked so well for the PSP Go...

Don't you know you're only supposed to rip Microsoft here, while causing hilarity to ensue by changing their name to something else?

I'm a Nintendo fanboy (look at my avatar, duh!) but if you're gonna get one or the other, go for the PS4. Not only is Sony the lesser of two evils, but xBox sells horribly in Japan. Why does this matter to US gamers? Because a lot of great games come from Japanese developers who won't be bothered to port it to xBox in their homeland, which incidentally means they probably won't be bothered to create a localized xBox port for US gamers either. American and European developers will port the same games to both consoles, so without adding any fanboy bias or discussing which corporation is more "evil", Sony is they way to go because they will get more localized games from the far East, and imports are still an option if you can be bothered with learning Japanese. Microsoft is still pure Evil though, just look what they did to Windows 8. Silly thing all those PS3s they bought back; are they planning on selling them in the MS store? That would be hilareous if they did. I just hope MS is not destroying them although either senario could become a PR nightmare. The consoles are still worth money after all, but Sony will still potentially earn money off the used PS3s through game sales.

Well, it worked so well for the PSP Go...

LOL, PSP-GO was a turd, proof that gamers still value physical carts/discs.

Edited by stardust4ever

That and this gen even Nintendo and Sony are so lame the fanboys have to visit the Microsoft forums to find entertainment.

Sad start to the generation indeed.

Yup. I thought I'd never laughed so hard in my life when I watched the Xbox One "used games" reveal! :lol:

But if you want real entertainment, read the forums on Atari fan sites. We ain't dead yet! :rolling:

Though I own both a PS4 & XBO, I'm not overly impressed so far by either system. Potential they have, but impressive they are not at the present time.

The biggest complaint I have is having to install every disk to the hard drive on both systems (which is not a speedy process, especially on the XBO). Since I use both GameFly and occasionally Red Box, having to install-delete-install-delete-install-delete to keep precious hard drive space available is annoying as hell.

And what the hell is up with the 13gb patch for Dead Rising 3??? Are huge patches/updates the future of console gaming?

MS can keep its $100 as my PS3 and Xbox360 are worth far, far more than that with all the incredible games available for them.

• Like 1

Bad Microsoft.

Here is what could happen…. the reduced cost Xbox One without the optical drive will become the ONLY model you can buy at some point…. maybe sooner rather than later. And if that becomes the dominant one on the market, there would be no incentive for publishers to produce a disc based game.

As far as the used game patent from Sony goes… I read that they filed a similar patent earlier in the P3's life cycle. I have no link to share. Not to overly defend Sony, but it is not uncommon for companies to file a patent, and never end up using the technology…. then a revised one is submitted, etc. Think how many patents Apple and Google probably file on a daily basis, but the tech never gets used….

They are changing things only because of competition but it's not good enough for me. I'm looking forward to a few things on the Xbox One but not enough to spend that much money on it. Just don't need it.

I'm glad I slowly converted and invested to Steam and a good PC years ago. It freed me from 'needing' an Xbox or a Gold subscription. (ex.I play Borderlands and Call of Duty on PC and PS3)

Of course the games can bring me back but not yet.

They are changing things only because of competition but it's not good enough for me. I'm looking forward to a few things on the Xbox One but not enough to spend that much money on it. Just don't need it.

I'm glad I slowly converted and invested to Steam and a good PC years ago. It freed me from 'needing' an Xbox or a Gold subscription. (ex.I play Borderlands and Call of Duty on PC and PS3)

Of course the games can bring me back but not yet.

Yup… it will depend on the games in the end, but there is nothing on the horizon for the PS4 or Xbox One that appeals to be at the moment, and even the few things that do will be made in massive amounts that I can just wait and get them cheap when a couple of price cuts happen for the new consoles. My current backlog and slowly growing steam library could keep be busy for 2-4 years without spending another dime.