IGNORED

BANDAI-NAMCO?! Boo, hiss!

Jess Ragan

http://nintendoeverything.com/namco-bandai-now-going-by-bandai-namco-in-all-territories/

Bandai will be taking title billing on all Namco games from now on, throwing the reputation of the classic video game company in the garbage. As game companies go, Bandai doesn't even deserve to be in the same SENTENCE as Namco, let alone be mentioned first. I hate this. I detest this. I loathe this. Did I mention I hate this?

• Like 2

and?,one of the best 2 button handheld fighting games was a Power Rangers game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJqUiWlpNY

That's like being proud of having the legasthenic with the least writing errors. :P

@topic

I absolutely understand Jess.

The thing is: Namco is one of the old greats, who has been around since the early days of the industry. They created classics like Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, Pole Position, Splatterhouse, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Soul Blade... so many epic hits, and calling the company Bandai Namco kind of makes it sound like Namco is junior partner. I'd be fine if they called the toy division that, but in terms of videogames I think Namco is a proud name with tradition, Bandai... not so much.

Let's be clear on what we're upset about here. The picture below is the latest Pac-Man. Is this what you want NAMCO's name proudly featured on?

attachicon.gifPac-Man-and-the-Ghostly-Adventures-Masthead-640x360.jpg

Can I somehow unsee this?

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 2

The thing is: Namco is one of the old greats, who has been around since the early days of the industry. They created classics like Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, Pole Position, Splatterhouse, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Soul Blade... so many epic hits, and calling the company Bandai Namco kind of makes it sound like Namco is junior partner.

Luckily, the change is not retroactive & all your Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, etc still say NAMCO on them.

I would be more concerned about this if Namco had done anything worthwhile in the past several years.

Can I somehow unsee this?

Take two of these and play some Dig Dug:

4072.jpg4080.jpg

• Like 2

That's like being proud of having the legasthenic with the least writing errors. :P

@topic

I absolutely understand Jess.

The thing is: Namco is one of the old greats, who has been around since the early days of the industry. They created classics like Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, Pole Position, Splatterhouse, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Soul Blade... so many epic hits, and calling the company Bandai Namco kind of makes it sound like Namco is junior partner. I'd be fine if they called the toy division that, but in terms of videogames I think Namco is a proud name with tradition, Bandai... not so much.

Yes! This is exactly my point! I mean, you've got the creators of the foundation of modern gaming, and you've got the guys who brought us Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. You tell me which one should be listed first on the front of a video game box.

It wouldn't be quite so offensive to me if Bandai just published all of Namco's games, and all of its own games, under the Namco brand name. That way, Bandai can stick with Power Rangers action figures, and Namco could deliver the real "action satisfaction" to gamers.

Bandai doesn't even deserve to be in the same SENTENCE as Namco

Says you!.. They may not have created arcade games but Bandai with their handhelds are some of the best gaming memories I have from the early 80's on par with Atari. :)

Maybe not so much for you guys in the states, but the breadth of their handhelds was amazing. VFD's, LCD'S and LED's. I could never afford them all, but the ones my mom got me.. handheld version of CRAZY CLIMBER, PENGO, TRACK & FIELD (Hyper Olympic challenge 5) were Grade-A experiences in 1982/83.

FLPengo-front.jpgFLBurgertime-front.jpgCrazyClimber-front.jpg

CrazyClimber-detail.jpgCrazy-climbing.gif

Awesomeness... They were even my very first "kind of electronic" game with Attack Invader (which I was lucky enough to find a replacement of)

attackinvader.jpg

<3 Bandai. :P

h1.jpg

• Like 4

Luckily, the change is not retroactive & all your Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, etc still say NAMCO on them.

I would be more concerned about this if Namco had done anything worthwhile in the past several years.

Take two of these and play some Dig Dug:

4072.jpg4080.jpg

Ironically enough, I just started playing Pac-Man Championship DX on my 360, which I hadn't played in a while. So there was a title update, after which the very first screen had changed from what I'm sure had been Namco Bandai Games (you know, with the orange background) to Bandai Namco. I got a chuckle out of that.

Ironically enough, I just started playing Pac-Man Championship DX on my 360, which I hadn't played in a while. So there was a title update, after which the very first screen had changed from what I'm sure had been Namco Bandai Games (you know, with the orange background) to Bandai Namco. I got a chuckle out of that.

Well a chuckle seems like a more appropriate response to hate, loathing, hair pulling and dining on ashes in sackcloth.

• Like 2

For whatever reason, I hadn't paid much attention to the Bandai-Namco merger. This thread got me to look some things up. The merger took place in 2005 and Namco was "re-established" in 2006. I suspect that's fancy wording for disassembled and reorganized.

The merger dates also explain why Namco development for Ridge Racer, one of my favorite racing games of all time, was sent off to Bug Bear. I have been very disappointed with the results.

I love Pac-Mac Championship Edition and DX+ (which was released after the merger), but I don't have high expectations for any of Namco's other IP. What happened to Ridge Racer is pretty inexcusable and there is no indication that Bandai-Namco is going to fix it :(