IGNORED

Looking For Atari 2600. Have Any Free?

retrogamer64

I stopped giving free stuff to people who asked begged for it...just like the OP did.

I used to do just the opposite, thinking that I was "helping out the community"...and then one day, I saw the Atari Jr. and 30 games which I gave (free of charge) to a new member show up on eBay with a BIN of $100. He had such a seemingly "real" interest in the hobby that I even paid the friggin shipping for that d-bag. It went up on eBay less than a week after I sent the package. He never came back to AA. Lesson learned.

Very sad. Unfortunately AA has been and likely always be a one stop shop for salespeople. It amazes me how often someone registers, makes 2-3 posts, then has something to sell. Not quite as bad as those who jump all over it...."PM Sent". Really? Unbelievable.

All this is true. Showing effort and respect begets effort and respect. Mr. SQL doesn't know this but I ponied up for an extra Starpath Supercharger for him when he started working on batari BASIC support and his own assembly framework. He never asked me. He didn't have to.

..sadly, I was a little too late on the draw. He already snatched one for himself :)

:) :) Thanks Loon!!! Cool to know and I'm not surprised; you have a great attitude - always fun talking development and retro gaming with you! :)

• Like 1

Very sad. Unfortunately AA has been and likely always be a one stop shop for salespeople. It amazes me how often someone registers, makes 2-3 posts, then has something to sell. Not quite as bad as those who jump all over it...."PM Sent". Really? Unbelievable.

Why is that necessarily a bad thing? Of course the main purpose of AA is to bring together a large community of enthusiasts who have a real interest in the hobby, share stories, help each other with questions, etc. That's probably why most of us are here and it's what constitutes the "soul" of AA. But even if someone whose main goal is to sell video game stuff joins AA for the sole purpose of listing their wares on Marketplace, I don't necessarily think that that should be discouraged or frowned upon. Who knows, they may have something for sale that another member has been looking for, and they may offer it at a better price than Ebay or the other big sites. It just gives all of us more choices and opportunities to fill those gaps in our collections.

Why is that necessarily a bad thing? Of course the main purpose of AA is to bring together a large community of enthusiasts who have a real interest in the hobby, share stories, help each other with questions, etc. That's probably why most of us are here and it's what constitutes the "soul" of AA. But even if someone whose main goal is to sell video game stuff joins AA for the sole purpose of listing their wares on Marketplace, I don't necessarily think that that should be discouraged or frowned upon. Who knows, they may have something for sale that another member has been looking for, and they may offer it at a better price than Ebay or the other big sites. It just gives all of us more choices and opportunities to fill those gaps in our collections.

Because usually, it doesn't end well...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221499-texas-chainsaw-massacre-prototype-discovered-more-pics/?p=2917574

• Like 1

But I heard in a movie somewhere that greed is good and everybody knows that movies don't lie.

youtube.com/watch?v=KhTSte78fVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhTSte78fVg

youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac

• Like 2

th_343161808_T2_122_347lo.JPG

Im going to see if I can fix it first. Its not really broke, it just makes a bunch of white lines on the screen, and its reated to the poower button, because when I wiggle it, the white stops. Maybe I just need to clean it.

You need to make sure it works before you send it postage paid by you. And make sure you have some games and a working controller.

• Like 1

You need to make sure it works before you send it postage paid by you. And make sure you have some games and a working controller.

And be sure to provide some positive feedback here in the marketplace...that way, when they decide to flip it for some $$$ on another forum or eBay, they can point them here to show that they are "LEGIT"! :lol:

post-29022-0-40692800-1392525976_thumb.png

• Like 6

i got to say from experience collecting older game systems and games can sometimes be somewhat expensive. you got to be willing to pay to play. sometimes you can get a good deal but you can't always expect good deals and free stuff. i know i have got a couple free game systems before but that was probably 5+ years ago. bought a old 6 switch atari last month with 10 games and a loose reset switch for $70. that is the most i have ever spent on a system to date but they are really not getting any cheaper or easier to find.

Well, ....bye.

I'm still not sure which of these the OP ment in his newest reply.....

1) He tried to get a system for free, realized it wouldn't work, and gave up on collecting.

2) He was responding to the posts just before his, when people were joking about sending a 'broken' 2600, and was playing along.

I just have to laugh thinking of youtubers that will come across this video without knowledge of Backin89 / bennybingo / atariage etc and think WTF is this? :-D

Did you do this vid. oldschool? It was awesome and if Youtube is around in 50 years... yep, they will not have a clue. Great vid.

I just have to laugh thinking of youtubers that will come across this video without knowledge of Backin89 / bennybingo / atariage etc and think WTF is this? :-D

I laughed hard when i first watched but I rewatched it after your comment Rob and I almost lost it. There's no way the average person stumbling across it would ever understand the context :D

• Like 3