IGNORED

Top 5 Favorite Jaguar Games

Austin

I thought I'd share a post a friend made at his website. The topic? His "Top 5 Favorite Jaguar Games". Link: http://implantgames.com/features/top-5-atari-jaguar-games

I am certain this topic has come up in the past, but what are your current five favorite Jaguar releases?

If I had to make a list for myself, it would be something along the lines of Tempest 2000, DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D, Raiden, and a toss-up between Zool 2, Iron Soldier, and Super Burnout.

• Like 1

The Jaguar actually has a fairly decent and varied library, and it also continues to get new releases. It's also one of the few video game consoles that has companies reprint games well past its officially-declared death.

I can't create a "top 5 game list", but I will list some must-buy titles out of a list of games that I've played (not in any particular order)-

Rayman

Atari Karts

Another World

Elansar

Hyper Force

Total Carnage

Soccer Kid

Zool 2

Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales

Flashback

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Attack of the Mutant Penguins

Towers II

and of course many others that I have missed and/or haven't played yet.

You can't say this system doesn't have any games.

One game that I would recommend you avoid is Evolution: Dino Dudes. Terrible gameplay and terrible music.

Man, you know... the Jaguar is really unique to me. There are many NES games that I just have no interest in playing anymore that at one time, I was addicted to. Most of these other systems are a lot like watching Conan the Barbarian. When you were a kid, it was totally awesome. But then when you watch it as an adult, you think to yourself... what the hell am I watching? (when I was 7, I totally didn't know what that orgy scene was, I just assumed everyone was trying to pretend like they were snakes by wiggling all over each-other on the floor, haha).

Anyway, back to the point... the Jaguar definitely isn't one of these systems. Sure, there are some real turds, but there are some games that are just really awesome. Here's my list (in no particular order)

Power Drive Rally

Impulse X

Wolfenstein 3D

Tempest 2000

I-War

But, I don't really want to limit myself to 5 (it's just not fair), so here are some others I really like:

Primal Rage

AVP

Protector SE

Defender 2000

Missile Command 3D

Doom

Raiden

Worms

Ultra Vortek

Bruce Lee

Trevor McFur

SuperCross 3D...

Man, there's more. It would probably be better if I just stated the few I don't like, but I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings (Brutal Sports Football.... ahem...)

• Like 1

But, I don't really want to limit myself to 5 (it's just not fair), so here are some others I really like:

SuperCross 3D...

Man, there's more. It would probably be better if I just stated the few I don't like, but I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings (Brutal Sports Football.... ahem...)

Wow I thought I was the only one who liked Supercross 3D! :-) Edited by Gulfman
  • Like 1

Wow I thought I was the only one who liked Supercross 3D! :-)

Oh yeah, it's awesome. I mean, if you play it enough, you sort of get familiar with the controls and the routine of when and how soon you need to turn and what the reaction will be to the controls... once you get to that point, it gets pretty cool.

Oh yeah, it's awesome. I mean, if you play it enough, you sort of get familiar with the controls and the routine of when and how soon you need to turn and what the reaction will be to the controls... once you get to that point, it gets pretty cool.

Totally agree with you. To me it's one of those games you can just switch on and have a 20 min blast for fun. It's also one of the few games I have actually completed and enjoyed on the Jag.

I'm a fan too. Have you learned how to jump over large corners of the track yet from big hills?

Edited by Gunstar

Thank god it wasn't Bubsy in there I suppose

:rolling:

I must be the only person who looks at Rayman and goes Meh.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it myself. Visually it's beautiful and in the beginning it's fun, but it becomes brutally difficult pretty quickly. I also tend to prefer the Saturn and PlayStation versions, as the remixed CD audio goes a long way for me.

My buddy that wrote the article actually really enjoys Supercross 3D as well. Personally, I can't get past the framerate, so it's a no go for me. But there are definitely some folks out there that enjoy it. :)

• Like 1

I've spent ample time with every game in the library, except for White Men Can't Jump because its so horrible, once or twice was enough.

My top 5 are games that I play very regularly, even after all these years:

-Defender 2000

-Tempest 2000

-Breakout 2000

-Raiden

-Pinball Fantasies

I'm completely addicted to Defender 2000 and Tempest 2000, I play them weekly. They have it all in terms of what I want out of a video game, and they both would be in my top 5 in an all-platform list like this.

There's been many other Jag games over the years where I get completely enveloped in them for a few weeks, and beat them. But, in the end they don't hold my attention with repeat plays like my top 5. Games like Rayman, Pitfall, I-War, Robinson's Requiem and even Battlesphere can be, and are really really fun, but I don't find myself addicted to those.

I kind of wish I could get into Battlesphere more, because it's all there, unbelievable graphics, smooth gameplay and intuitive controls. I find it quite difficult though, and my games end so quickly that I can't immerse myself in the experience like I was hoping. When I was younger I would have had the patience to master this game, but not so much nowadays.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it myself. Visually it's beautiful and in the beginning it's fun, but it becomes brutally difficult pretty quickly. I also tend to prefer the Saturn and PlayStation versions, as the remixed CD audio goes a long way for me.

That's really interesting. The Playstation and Saturn versions are far more difficult than the Jaguar version, which seems perfectly balanced in my totally biased opinion. I finished the Jag version with no outside help (although I was a kid with lots of free time). But it's all I can do to get past Band Land, the second world, in the Playstation version. The difference is that the Jag version is unfinished, so the slippery surface features of the Playstation and Saturn versions are missing in the Jag version. This makes the Jag version much more manageable, and much more fun.

On topic, my top 5 favorite Jag games are probably:

Alien vs. Predator

Syndicate

Doom

Rayman

Tempest 2000

I see plenty of my favorites being posted - but I am always surprised that Missile Command 3D doesn't get more thumbs up.

For its day, I think the graphics look great. The music is catchy, and it's challenging without being ridiculously hard.

People make a big deal out of Defender 2000 and it gets mentioned a lot, yet I think MC3D is ten times the quality, and yet almost no one ever mentions it.

People make a big deal out of Defender 2000 and it gets mentioned a lot, yet I think MC3D is ten times the quality, and yet almost no one ever mentions it.

I enjoy Missile Command 3D as well. It has a good variety of game modes, and it's a solid game overall. I'd have to say I like it more than Defender 2000 as well, but that's mostly because I hit a brick wall in D2K that makes it extremely frustrating to play.

Id like the chance to go 'meh' at Rayman but for £129.99 staring bid on eBay ill have to wait!!

I was enjoying Rayman till you get to the stage where you have the guy on the large sticker, for lack of a better word, that you have to outrun, and I never did. If not for that stage I might have continued playing it and loving it. Eventually sold my copy of Rayman.

But I love the CRAP out of Rayman 3 on the Gameboy Advance.

My favorite games right now basically the cartridges I tend to be playing:

Cybermorph (used to hate it, now my favorite to play wth the Def Leppard greatest hits, can complete in like 4 hours.)

Bubsy (Can complete in like 45 minutes)

Tube

Impulse X

Raiden

Also a shout out to Fallen Angels and Doom 2.

I know by pushing up or down on the D-Pad gives you more/less height. But what do you mean jump over large corners? Bypass some of the track? Do tell.....:-)

Exactly. On some tracks the big jumps are positioned just right that if you catch enough air, and jump at an angle, you can jump part of the track and land safely, gaining more distance from the other bikes. You have to land facing basically forward direction or you will crash, but it can be done is a lot of fun! It takes practice though.

That's really interesting. The Playstation and Saturn versions are far more difficult than the Jaguar version, which seems perfectly balanced in my totally biased opinion. I finished the Jag version with no outside help (although I was a kid with lots of free time). But it's all I can do to get past Band Land, the second world, in the Playstation version. The difference is that the Jag version is unfinished, so the slippery surface features of the Playstation and Saturn versions are missing in the Jag version. This makes the Jag version much more manageable, and much more fun.

On topic, my top 5 favorite Jag games are probably:

Alien vs. Predator

Syndicate

Doom

Rayman

Tempest 2000

Rayman on the Jag is completely finished. They specifically made the others different, added more. Each version has uniqueness about them, different levels, etc. It's not that the Jag version isn't finished, they just added more and changed things to the other versions that were developed after the Jag version.