Top 5 Favorite Jaguar Games

Austin

My top five are:

IS2

Battlemorph

I-war

World Tour Racing

Towers 2

There are other favorites too, of course, but these are the ones that keep me coming back for more year after year.

Nice! Good to see World Tour Racing in your top 5.

Here is my top 5, although it has changed a lot over the past 20 years I have spent with the machine. In more recent years though this is pretty much what keeps me coming back and has given my children (who are now a senior and a freshman along with a Kindergartener) a fresh take on the Jaguar.

1. World Tour Racing (I would list all the betas as the rest of my top 5, but that would be overkill)

2. Surrounded

3. Super Burnout

4. Zero5

5. Protector

An honorable mention would have to go to Missile Command 3D and Gorf. When I try to think about top games it can be so hard to do as I really like a lot of the Jaguar's titles. Even some that others may consider crap are fun to play for me.

Edited by JaguarGod

My first top five list..

1. Super Burnout (epic)

2. Wolfenstein 3D (best port of it I've played, and I've played them all)

3. Tempest 2000

4. Full Circle: Rocketeer (two words: bad ass!!)

5. Pinball Fantasies

Top two games that should be in my top five but I am having trouble getting into because of the learning curve/difficulty/controls

1. AvP (strafe situation sucks, hard as hell, everything looks the same easy to get lost)

2. Iron Soldier (controls, feels slow and clunky, mission objectives vague)

Edited by travistouchdown

I agree that the mission vagueness in Iron Soldier is disappointing. After all these years, learning I don't really care for mission or time-based games much at all. Otherwise, Iron Soldier is excellent. Had there only been an Arcade mode... something along the lines of Virtual On, but not as obnoxious with all the jumping/flying about. :lol:

Good to see I'm not the only one who mentioned Iron Soldier. It's one of the most underrated games on the Jag, IMO.

It's right, right up there for me too tbh Sauron. Definitely an ongoing interchangeable in my top 5.

But right now, I'm all about the charm and personality of those more 'arcadey' Jaguar exclusive titles for the system > the 3D experiences. Tempest is right in the middle!

T

Top two games that should be in my top five but I am having trouble getting into because of the learning curve/difficulty/controls

1. AvP (strafe situation sucks, hard as hell, everything looks the same easy to get lost)
2. Iron Soldier (controls, feels slow and clunky, mission objectives vague)

Back in January of '95, when I first got my Jaguar, along with AvP as one of the first titles, I think I played through the entire game without using strafe, it does suck reaching down to the 7 and 9 keys to strafe. My second time through the game, and all subsequent times, I had the advantage of the pro-controller and strafing accessibility through the X and Z keys (and map as Y), and the game control advantage almost literally adds a new dimension.

Iron Soldier does take a little while to get used to the control scheme, but one day it will be second nature. maybe even start using the advanced control so your legs and torso face diffent directions allowing for strafing techniques. One tip is that if you hold C and/or A you will rotate the view at faster rates with the D-pad. This will help with catching up to helicopters instead of them flying circles around you.

T

Back in January of '95, when I first got my Jaguar, along with AvP as one of the first titles, I think I played through the entire game without using strafe, it does suck reaching down to the 7 and 9 keys to strafe. My second time through the game, and all subsequent times, I had the advantage of the pro-controller and strafing accessibility through the X and Z keys (and map as Y), and the game control advantage almost literally adds a new dimension.

Iron Soldier does take a little while to get used to the control scheme, but one day it will be second nature. maybe even start using the advanced control so your legs and torso face diffent directions allowing for strafing techniques. One tip is that if you hold C and/or A you will rotate the view at faster rates with the D-pad. This will help with catching up to helicopters instead of them flying circles around you.

I always used the C button for strafing and found it to be quite advantageous in AvP until I bought my pro controller.

As for Iron Soldier, my Son had problems with the control at first as it can be a bit of a learning curve. But now that he is pretty good at it he loves it. Oh yeah, I have to turn on the cheats for him as he wants all the weapons at his disposal ;)

Edited by JaguarGod

It's such a nice surprise to see Superfly DX, Downfall and Rocketeer pop up on these lists alongside the retail titles.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words :)

From the Atariage store about Full Circle "Other features include MemoryTrack saving" This isn't the case right? Impulse X recognizes my Memory Cart, but Maru, Rocketeer and Jagware compilation do not correct? They use the online scoreboard only.

I agree that the mission vagueness in Iron Soldier is disappointing. After all these years, learning I don't really care for mission or time-based games much at all. Otherwise, Iron Soldier is excellent. Had there only been an Arcade mode... something along the lines of Virtual On, but not as obnoxious with all the jumping/flying about. :lol:

I just need to spend more time with it. Not quite as "pick up and play" as some other jag games.

T

I definitely need a pro controller... Waiting to find one for the right price on ebay. They are crazy expensive.

Okay so last night I finally cracked open my copy of hoverstrike CD. Take pinball fantasies off and add hoverstrike. Awesome game and easy to play right off the bat!!

From the Atariage store about Full Circle "Other features include MemoryTrack saving" This isn't the case right? Impulse X recognizes my Memory Cart, but Maru, Rocketeer and Jagware compilation do not correct? They use the online scoreboard only.

Both for Rocketeer and Kobayashi.

Not so for JC.

As sh3 said above, both Full Circle: Rocketeer and Kobayashi Maru use the memory track, as they both use the RAPTOR library, and that handles all scores/highscores/saving automatically.

As sh3 said above, both Full Circle: Rocketeer and Kobayashi Maru use the memory track, as they both use the RAPTOR library, and that handles all scores/highscores/saving automatically.

Hmm. When I play Impulse X, a Memory track detected icon pops up and my scores are saved. This is not the case when I pop in Rocketeer or Kobayashi. My scores don't seem to be saving and high score is always zero when I boot it up. Am I doing it wrong or what? Will have to take another look tonight.

Hmm. When I play Impulse X, a Memory track detected icon pops up and my scores are saved. This is not the case when I pop in Rocketeer or Kobayashi. My scores don't seem to be saving and high score is always zero when I boot it up. Am I doing it wrong or what? Will have to take another look tonight.

I think there's a lolbug in FC:R that it only displays 00000000 when it boots, after one game it's got off it's arse and actually read the value :P Pretty sure KM:F didn't do that (but it has its own unique comedy buggette :) )

I think there's a lolbug in FC:R that it only displays 00000000 when it boots, after one game it's got off it's arse and actually read the value :P Pretty sure KM:F didn;t do that (but it has its own unique comedy buggette :) )

Cool thanks. I do now recall that after the first game something displays..

I always used the C button for strafing and found it to be quite advantageous in AvP until I bought my pro controller.

As for Iron Soldier, my Son had problems with the control at first as it can be a bit of a learning curve. But now that he is pretty good at it he loves it. Oh yeah, I have to turn on the cheats for him as he wants all the weapons at his disposal ;)

You are right, it's been so long since I used C and the D-pad for strafing I forgot AvP could strafe that way. But, you can't circle-strafe with the C button and D-pad, but using either the 7 & 9 keys (not very useful) or especially the Z and Y keys to strafe allows you to still turn around while strafing, hence, the circle strafe.

You are right, it's been so long since I used C and the D-pad for strafing I forgot AvP could strafe that way. But, you can't circle-strafe with the C button and D-pad, but using either the 7 & 9 keys (not very useful) or especially the Z and Y keys to strafe allows you to still turn around while strafing, hence, the circle strafe.

Yeah, it does make it a lot easier and actually makes the game control more enjoyable. It has been a while since I have played it also, but every time I drag that game out, I have a little bit of fun. Still scares the crap out of my kids though.