IGNORED

GODZILLA! Programmers please read.

neotokeo2001

I will be meeting Akira Takarada and the man behind the Godzilla mask, Haruo Nakajima, from the original 1954 Godzilla film on MAY 30th, 2014.

Celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the original 1954 Godzilla film

post-3832-0-32105600-1391215694_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants to start a Godzilla home brew game I will get copies made for you signed by both of the them.

For years I have been working with Atari 2600 programmers on games made to be autographed by cast members of various Horror and Sci-fi movies.

Games have been made for:
Phantasm

Army of Darkness
Nightmare on Elm Street
Dawn of the Dead
Ghost Hunters
Elvira
and several other movies.

The latest is the Atari 2600 version of Strangeland starring Dee Snider of Twisted Sister.

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/2013/12/strangeland-atari-2600.html

If anyone wants to make a game for GODZILLA just send me a PM for details. Basically, You keep any rights to your game. I just have a few cartridges made to be signed. I will send you a copy of the autographed cartridge for free. The catch, I have cartridges made that I get signed also.

Just to be clear. I am not expecting to have top notch completed games done in time for the May show. Several times games such as Phantasm were in the proto or single level stage and then were finished after the show. This in no ways lowers the value or collectability of the cartridges. Batari Basic games are welcome also. I need to know if you are interested and so I can design labels for the game.

• Like 2

NECA announced today that they’re going to be releasing new figures based on the original 1954 Gojira!:

"From one of the most anticipated movie releases this year, NECA announces the relaunch of the classic Godzilla franchise. The first 6″ tall figure is highly detailed and fully articulated and 12” long from head to tail! Over 25 points of articulation and a bendable tail."

• Like 1

That was one of my considerations :)
I was also thinking of something Top down where you destroy buildings and junk, and a 2-p game where you and a friend fight each other with the monsters. The latter most one appealing the most off hand because I've been spoiled with Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee on GameCube.

• Like 1

That was one of my considerations :)

I was also thinking of something Top down where you destroy buildings and junk, and a 2-p game where you and a friend fight each other with the monsters. The latter most one appealing the most off hand because I've been spoiled with Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee on GameCube.

Do it! I had a blast making Nitebear on Sleepystreet. It's quite a rush to hold a game cart you made in your hands :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's not been worked on yet (at least, not anything worth showing), I have it scheduled for dev last week of april-first week of may. Giving some time to my other (non-atari) projects.
I've decided to go with a Rampage style game, because I feel at the core of any godzilla game some buildings should be destroyed...

Edited by RetroFiends
  • Like 1

It's not been worked on yet (at least, not anything worth showing), I have it scheduled for dev last week of april-first week of may. Giving some time to my other (non-atari) projects.

I've decided to go with a Rampage style game, because I feel at the core of any godzilla game some buildings should be destroyed...

Indeed!

• Like 1

You're devoting... let me get this right... two WHOLE WEEKS for development... words fail me.

Is two weeks too much?

Laughs aside, you've clearly never witnessed a game jam before if two weeks has you disturbed.

A few notes:
1. I have other projects and indeed a life as well.
2. The OP clearly states he is not expecting a AAA dev effort by the 15th of may. I feel in those two weeks I can deliver at or beyond his previous experiences, as detailed in the OP. Additionally, theres no reason why it cannot be developed further after the fact. Two weeks will be spent for Godzilla specifically, it will become a fulltime job.
3. I've already PM'd the OP to confirm exactly when he needs it by and I plan to meet that deadline by a week.

Sorry if my transparency bothers you. If you would like to, and have the time to, spend more than two weeks for a game done for fun and by request, then I will gladly yield to your own effort. I'm doing this because I like godzilla, nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't want to get in the way of someone who likes godzilla more than myself.

All we are looking for on the autograph cartridge is a working prototype of a game. If it was a full game great, but I will never have a chance to meet these actors again. If it leads to a fully programmed game in the future then that is just a bonus for everyone.

These cartridge are an expensive endeavor for me but they make for a really cool collectible. I am really surprised that more people don't participate in making games for it.

You're devoting... let me get this right... two WHOLE WEEKS for development... words fail me.

With a higher level language and creativity you can accomplish quite a bit. Although some of the games in my sig required half a year a few were done in a week (Atarowg) and even a week-end! (Cyber Willy)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is done in bB, getting this shouldn't be too difficult.
I actually started a little early because Andrew Davie lit the fire in my soul there for a moment and all I could think about was Godzilla.
So, movement, jumping, and a godzilla sprite are implemented. I'll try to get a screenshot when I have the chance. I hope my Godzilla sprite is passable, I think it's cute in a destructive kind of way.

Dev starts 'officially' today, made a post about it here, with an animated gif http://tmblr.co/Z0ex0s1DxUKUV

Nothing too exciting right now, but development is rapid.

I'm not sure what the "bumping" rules are for threads here, and I don't want to push it too much so from this point on, I'll post most updates at that tumblr, and will post recaps here upon replies in this thread.

post-36629-0-78340700-1398304403_thumb.gif

Edited by RetroFiends

• 3 weeks later...

RetroFiends did a great job with the Godzilla game. Here is how the final version for the autograph cartridge looks.

post-3832-0-99586000-1399771465_thumb.png

Title Screen

post-3832-0-06414800-1399771459_thumb.png

Godzilla attacks the city!!

post-3832-0-25080400-1399771470_thumb.png

Beware of Rodan??

post-3832-0-28563100-1399771474_thumb.png

Another building to destroy...

post-3832-0-41849200-1399771478_thumb.jpg

Cartridge mock-up. The label is dark to allow the autographs to show up better. To be signed in silver or black.

I will update when I can take pictures of the actual cartridges and also from the day of the show.

• Like 2