IGNORED

GODZILLA! Programmers please read.

neotokeo2001

Yes, I'm listening to any suggestion people may have. I'm pretty flexible, if it's something cool, I'll try to work it in.
Future Possibilities:
- 2 player compete mode
- Themed Levels with looped order
- a few additional enemies with different behaviours

Time Limits to levels are maybe a possibility, will try it out at some point and see if I like it.

That is a possibility for the final version of the game. This is just a working prototype for an autograph cartridge to be signed in a few weeks.

Ahh i see, Its a great idea and a signed cart would be an amazing thing for a collection, I hope that they can add the plane for another play dynamic.

I guess what Matthew means is that the skyline is not clearly recognizable to him. Also, the overall presentation reveals more of its batari BASIC origins than he feels it should. Unfortunately, some people judge a game by how it's made rather than how it plays.

I'd say he has brought up some good points for the next iteration. If you get rid of the skyline you could go no_blank_lines or pfheights to enhance the buildings. I'm just guessing at what is too batari BASIC-like but maybe the playfield based title screen is a tell. I'd see if you can get someone to make you a title screen logo and use the Visual bB title screen wizard for an upgraded look.

As neotokeo2001 said, this is a release candidate for the show. There's room for improvement and that was to be expected. Keep up the good work!

UPDATE: I just realized a few more points to make it seem less "batari BASIC-like" The three rectangles to the bottom left could be replaced with actual life counters via the 6lives.asm mini-kernel. Also, you could get the buildings and skyline closer to Rampage by using the pfcolors pfheights kernel options! Dunno why I didn't think of that earlier. Cheers!

• Like 1

I don't feel I have any obligation to hide that this is a batari basic release. That being said, there is definitely room for improvement in the visuals department. In future releases I'll likely be upgrading the rom size which will grant quite a bit more freedom, but this is what I personally could manage within 4k via bB. I set these limitations when I had deadlines to ensure I had something I could call a game at the end of that short development cycle. From here, the sky is the limit.

• Like 1

I guess what Matthew means is that the skyline is not clearly recognizable to him. Also, the overall presentation reveals more of its batari BASIC origins than he feels it should. Unfortunately, some people judge a game by how it's made rather than how it plays.

I'd say he has brought up some good points for the next iteration. If you get rid of the skyline you could go no_blank_lines or pfheights to enhance the buildings. I'm just guessing at what is too batari BASIC-like but maybe the playfield based title screen is a tell. I'd see if you can get someone to make you a title screen logo and use the Visual bB title screen wizard for an upgraded look.

As neotokeo2001 said, this is a release candidate for the show. There's room for improvement and that was to be expected. Keep up the good work!

UPDATE: I just realized a few more points to make it seem less "batari BASIC-like" The three rectangles to the bottom left could be replaced with actual life counters via the 6lives.asm mini-kernel. Also, you could get the buildings and skyline closer to Rampage by using the pfcolors pfheights kernel options! Dunno why I didn't think of that earlier. Cheers!

Yeah, this.

The title screen and skyline scream "Batari Basic". Not knocking the tool (Batari Basic), Sprybug has done some amazing stuff with it (Zippy).

Edited by Matthew
  • Like 1

It needs that Godzilla scream digitized in the game, either before or after the game.

That's my idea suggestion.

I don't really know how much rom my digitized sound actually takes up in my Flappy (4K) game, but there are two "align 256" commands, so I would guess between 512 to 1024 bytes. The speech routine blanks the screen as well.

I'd be more fearful of what a digitized roar on a 2600 would sound like than the space it takes :^)
I'd be willing to give it a shot, though.

As for the skyline, I'll probably push them down a row or two and do some sort of gradient on them, since the game logic for the buildings starts at a specific row, there is some room. I'll have to create exceptions for the block breaking though, otherwise godzilla will destroy the sky B)

Also, I just realized I haven't actually posted the build here in the thread. I haven't exactly talked about it with neotokeo2001, but I don't see much harm in sharing this for now.

Godzilla NEO.bin

• Like 2

If Godzilla was made bigger it would ruin the game play. Just think of it as a super-deformed version of Godzilla. This game is based on the 1954 Godzilla.

post-3832-0-83728100-1400428747_thumb.jpg

Here is a size comparison of the Godzilla's.

post-3832-0-47970000-1400428744_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants to attempt a title screen with a digitized roar here are a couple of options.

Roar A:

Godzilla Roar A.wav

Roar B:

Godzilla Roar B.wav

Roar C:

Godzilla roar.wav

Edited by neotokeo2001

Had a brief play on the game and my only comments are:

- My avatar was tunnelling into a building and then seemed to die for no apparent reason. Perhaps something fell on me? If so, it should be made a bit more obvious that that was the cause of death in my opinion.

- The flying thing needs a few frames of animation.

Had a brief play on the game and my only comments are:

- My avatar was tunnelling into a building and then seemed to die for no apparent reason. Perhaps something fell on me? If so, it should be made a bit more obvious that that was the cause of death in my opinion.

- The flying thing needs a few frames of animation.

The collapsing buildings are the main play mechanic for Godzilla to be injured. Any unsupported brick will fall at the next pass (The lighter shade of bricks that cycle).

The flying thing is a place holder for future enemy types. Different monsters, planes etc.. that will have different attack patterns.