IGNORED

Idea for a port to 7800...Thexder

swlovinist

Anyhow, back to a 320 Mode Thexder - PC CGA mode doesn't look too shabby. True, Tandy 16-color & MCGA look better, but the 4 colors only is no sloutch:

attachicon.gifthexder-cga.png

A different four colors could be chosen, but you get the idea ;)

Oh, it never ceases to jar my eyes at CGA graphics. I always wondered why those ugly colors were chosen hahahaha

I'm not sure you can bypass the video chip. Hellbound Hellraiser for the NES used an on-board CPU for processing and just spit out a screen full of tiles.

I'm sure CPUWIZ could put an ARM M0 chip in a cart and a talented developer could rig the software to output a full screen bitmap to MARIA. Basically, do the graphics calculations on a 32-bit CPU and use the 7800 as a host.

Hmm.. I wonder if the firing patterns of Thexder would push the CPU too much. (Find nearest visual opponent, draw line, etc.) Tiles are doable, though not sure how clean they'll be. The bigger issue there I think is the large amount of memory needed to store the 'map'. Thexder's levels are pretty big.

The levels need not be stored in a big way. You can have big chunks of the map be stored in groups of blocks. Here is a Sega Genesis 4 way scrolling work in progress demonstration I made. The whole level is a 24x24 array. Imagine those big blocky sections as the tunnels and corridors you see in Thexder.

post-13304-0-83459300-1391739334_thumb.jpg

Insomnia11.zip

TheLoon, really it depends on how big of blocks you can make. Thexder's layout has very few large repeatable patterns, however, meaning your blocks get small and numerous really fast. (Compare to Pitfall! where each screen is basically marked with two bytes to tell you what's on it.) It doesn't have to be mindboggling huge, but it's not going to fit in a default cart by any means.

TheLoon, really it depends on how big of blocks you can make. Thexder's layout has very few large repeatable patterns, however, meaning your blocks get small and numerous really fast. (Compare to Pitfall! where each screen is basically marked with two bytes to tell you what's on it.) It doesn't have to be mindboggling huge, but it's not going to fit in a default cart by any means.

IIRC, wasn't the CoCo 3 version made much smaller than the Tandy 1000 version for this reason?

• Like 1

I want to see a really well thought out game that uses the 7800 sprite capabilities and the xm and megacart and have crap loads of sprites in a well thought out original game.

I feel that is what the 7800 will really shine on and impress the hell outa people.

I just wish I could thunk it..hmm

• Like 1