IGNORED

DOS 2.0S DUP.SYS Source Code?

sm3

I think your link is for a single page?

I did 20 pages. you can download it (the first 20 pages in a .pdf) from http://www.russgilb.net.

The original is not a good copy, so don't expect too much, especially the first few pages.

The pages will be sideways, so it would be better to print them out, landscape style.

No need to advise me to lower the dpi, it needs all the dpi it can get.

I belive it is about 127 pages.

Yeah, sorry, I was just showing an example of what the printout looks like, that was taken with my phone. I still don't have a scanner.

Yeah, sorry, I was just showing an example of what the printout looks like, that was taken with my phone. I still don't have a scanner.

I didn't mean to put your pic down. Don't know what I was thinking. So, you now have the DOS 2.0S DUP source. Probably not many people want it. Any feedback about it would be welcome. Should I

scan the rest?

I didn't mean to put your pic down. Don't know what I was thinking. So, you now have the DOS 2.0S DUP source. Probably not many people want it. Any feedback about it would be welcome. Should I

scan the rest?

Yes, please do. I would love to put the whole thing up on Atarimania. It might not have a lot of interest but it would be available for the few people that would like to look at it.

Allan

• Like 1

Russg, if you want to continue scanning the rest, that's fine. If you have the time and want to proceed. I will get to it myself eventually, as I said before, my shipment from Best arrived before my scanner ;)

Allan, yeah, I was going to see about getting it up on Atarimania after I've scanned it.

Russg, if you want to continue scanning the rest, that's fine. If you have the time and want to proceed. I will get to it myself eventually, as I said before, my shipment from Best arrived before my scanner ;) Allan, yeah, I was going to see about getting it up on Atarimania after I've scanned it.

I apologize for the DOSII1-20.zip on my www.russgilb.net. I didn't see it was 0 bytes. I hope I have it right this time. D/L DOSIIDUP.zip it should be 33 mb. It should have a zip with a folder with three .pdf. The three pdf are:

DOSII1-20.pdf, DOSII21-60.pdf and DOSII61-103.pdf. Because I screwed up posting the DOSII1-20.pdf yesterday, nobody has seen how my pdf are. I made three pdf because if something went wrong, or goes wrong

with one of them, it is easier to replace or start again, whichever. (Uhm.... eight people tried to download DOSII1-20.zip and nobody said anything?) or one person tried eight times. That may count some times I tried.

Oh heck, I just tried and it has a busted link. Musta typed something wrong. Be back shortly. There was one error, an extra Z in a 44 character, super secret file URL.

I'm back. It is there and correct now.

http://www.russgilb.net

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

I apologize for the DOSII1-20.zip on my www.russgilb.net. I didn't see it was 0 bytes. I hope I have it right this time. D/L DOSIIDUP.zip it should be 33 mb. It should have a zip with a folder with three .pdf. The three pdf are:

DOSII1-20.pdf, DOSII21-60.pdf and DOSII61-103.pdf. Because I screwed up posting the DOSII1-20.pdf yesterday, nobody has seen how my pdf are. I made three pdf because if something went wrong, or goes wrong

with one of them, it is easier to replace or start again, whichever. (Uhm.... eight people tried to download DOSII1-20.zip and nobody said anything?) or one person tried eight times. That may count some times I tried.

Oh heck, I just tried and it has a busted link. Musta typed something wrong. Be back shortly.

http://www.russgilb.net

I thought that you were using a different zip program that my Mac couldn't open. I was going to try another today. Didn't catch the zero K. I'll look at your scan later when I get home from work.

Allan

Thanks Russg for taking the time to scan this document. I'm sure someone out there besides me has wanted a copy before now.

You're welcome. Maybe your copy is better than mine. There is a fair amount of faint printing. Mine looks like it is a fairly poor copy, certainly not a first hand printout of a printer. Don't get me wrong, I think

it is legible enough to be useable.

I just put the whole thing on Atarimania so people can download it in one PDF.

http://www.atarimania.com/documents-atari-400-800-xl-xe-technical-documents_3_8.html

Plus I turned all the pages (except for the first two) sideways for easier reading.

Thanks Russg for scanning it.

Allan

You're welcome. It takes a while to download from atarimania 44 megs, but you did a wonderful job. I don't know how you did that (making landscape into portrait). I also couldn't concatenate them like that.

It came out nice, I think it is definitely readable.

Edited by russg

You're welcome. It takes a while to download from atarimania 44 megs, but you did a wonderful job. I don't know how you did that (making landscape into portrait). I also couldn't concatenate them like that.

You could tell the originals weren't to great. It probably was an after thought of Atari to publish them. You did most of the work with the scanning. It's easy in Preview, a simple picture viewer that comes with OS X, to turn them 90 degrees. I also have a program called 'Combine PDFs' that can sort PDFs in a number of different ways. It saves me a lot of time with scanning.

Hopefully scans will be of interest for some people.

Allan

• Like 1

I'll wait a few days and take my scans down from my website, the atarimania post is a lot better.

• 11 months later...

If anyone is still interested, I typed in the remaining part of DUP.SYS from the Green Book and now have a complete copy of it. I assembled it and created a boot disk with the assembled copy and it works perfectly.,

I did not put comments in the part I typed in; there were about 30 pages to type and I ws happy just to get the source code without the comments.

You can download the complete listing of DUP.SYS here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39633452/DUPSYS%20Source%20listing.TXT

I hope this makes someone out there happy.

• Like 3

I used MAC/65 to assemble it. I had to separate it into four files because it was too big to fit into memory. So at the end of the first file I used .INCLUDE statements to bring in the other three files, It assembled just fine that way.

I don't understand your question "where is the source code". The source code is the file I posted. Unless you mean where is it physically? It is on my system as four separate files with the M65 extension. Is that what you meant?

The reason I needed to reassemble it by the way was to make a modification in it. The resident portion of it lies only $300 bytes (768) above the DOS buffers. Normally this is enough room. But I use three disk drives, all double density. When DOS allocates buffers for three DD drives, it actually writes into the DUP.SYS code causing it to act weird. For instance, if I try to issue a Directory command the system returns an error saying there is no Drive.

So I raised the resident portion of DUP.SYS from $300 bytes to $0C00 bytes avove the DOS buffers. This is plenty of room and now when I use my three DD drives I have no problems at all.

Can't believe I'm a hacker after all these years. Hah hah.

Edited by AGiambra

Hmmm... I get two text files, with comments. I don't see an uncommented source file in either link.

I have the same problem with my DD drives - not enough buffer space. I use a DOS 2.0D (not the one from the 815) that seems to work OK, but I'd love to have plain, old 2.0S.

Can you step-by-step lay out how to 'fix' DOS 2.0S?

Bob

If anyone is still interested, I typed in the remaining part of DUP.SYS from the Green Book and now have a complete copy of it. I assembled it and created a boot disk with the assembled copy and it works perfectly.,

Wow, fantastic! Appreciate the effort.

Everything beyond line 2008 is uncommented. That's what I meant when I said the code was uncommented.

Yes I can give you a step by step. First, do the following:

I assume you have a method of getting the files from Windows onto your Atari disks. I use Ape for Windows which has a nice function called MIRROR that alows me to take files from Windows and put them on Atari disks.

Next the files need to be converted becuase the carriage returns are in Windows format. Using MAC/65 key in the program called CONVERT.TXT and assemble it into CONVERT.COM.

To convert the files, first rename Dup.Sys Part 1.TXT to INPUT.DOC. Put CONVERT.COM on the same disk and run it. The conversion program will create a file called OUTPUT.DOC. Rename this to DUPSYS.M65

Do this for the four remaining files. Make sure that you name the remaining files DUPSYS2.M65, DUPSYS3.M65 and DUPSYS4.M65. This is important because the first file references the others.

Also download the file called INSTALL.TXT. Key it into MAC/65 and assemble it into INSTALL.COM.

Now you're ready to modify DUP.SYS on your system.

Make sure all four DUPSYS files are on the same disk. Run MAC/65 and key in: ASM #D:DUPSYS.M65,,#D:DUPSYS.COM This will run for quite some time and create the DUPSYS.COM file.

Now run BUG65. Key in R 3000 #D:DUPSYS.COM

This will load the COM file into memory with an offset of $3000. For now, don't worry about why we're doing this.

Now key in W 4540 6B05 #D:DUPSYS.COM

When the file finishes being written, key in Q to exit BUG65.

Okay we're almost done.

Copy DUPSYS.COM and INSTALL.COM onto a standard Atari DOS boot disk. Boot from the Atari DOS disk.

Issue an L command to tell DOS you want to load a file. When it asks which file to load, key in DUPSYS.COM

Next issue an L command to load another file. When it asks which file to load, key in INSTALL.COM

INSTALL.COM will load and install the new version of DUP.SYS. It will happen in the blink of an eye.

Now issue an H command to tell DOS you want to write out new DOS files. When it asks which drive to write them to, key in 1 and press RETURN

You're done! The modified version of DUP.SYS in installed and whenever you boot from this disk you will be in the new version. To install it to other disks, simply boot from this disk and write DOS files to the new disk.

I hope this was not too hard to follow. I'll be glad to answer any follow up questions you might have.

Dup.Sys Part 2.TXT

Dup.Sys Part 3.TXT

Dup.Sys Part 4.TXT

Install.TXT

Convert.TXT

Dup.Sys part 1.TXT

• Like 1