IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2014 Round 2 Hard Drivin'

roadrunner

I seen a youtube video of someone playing the C64 version, after he was done playing it

he deleted the roms. lol

I didn't see a cow in that version.

I wouldn't even mind the monochrome graphics if it played well. But you can't even keep the car straight. I think it has the worst controls of any driving game I've ever played. The C64 was capable of so much more, even if it didn't reach the level of a true 3D Hard Drivin'. I remember Test Drive being good and fun.

• Like 1

I delayed playing because tbh, I find it hard to enjoy this game. The framerate is so damn low, I feel like I lose control of my car so easily...^^

Anyway, I did play and got into the high score list eventually. :)

post-21561-0-52380500-1393107039_thumb.png

38708 points.

I'll play the MD version one of these days for a bonus.

I delayed playing because tbh, I find it hard to enjoy this game. The framerate is so damn low, I feel like I lose control of my car so easily...^^

Anyway, I did play and got into the high score list eventually. :)

attachicon.gifscore.png

38708 points.

I'll play the MD version one of these days for a bonus.

Was there ever an arcade perfect translation released? I know the stock SNES and Genesis were not technically capable. Maybe with a SuperFX chip or the Virtua Racing chip they could have come up with something close. Otherwise it would have taken the 32-bit era. I think the Jaguar would have been the first system capable. Also 3DO, Saturn, PS1, and N64 could have done it. A computer around that time too. But by that time Hard Drivin' was old news, it was so ahead of its time. They could have done a Hard Drivin' III that included the original Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin' tracks though. I'm surprised there wasn't a Jaguar port.

If you want to push for points guys, I recommend the speed track. Be very gentle on the steering wheel to avoid oversteering and spinning out. You kind of have to tap tap tap it. Try to complete as many laps on the speed course as possible to rack up the points. If you completed at least two laps, you will get to race Phantom Photon after your time finally runs out. There is no clock or points awarded on the Championship Lap but you get a 50,000 bonus for beating him. It's easier to beat him if you ignore the signs pointing you to the stunt track and head on straight to the speed track anyways. That's sort of a "secret". You will still win as long as you pass the finish line first. You might see Phantom Photon jumping over the bridge as you pass underneath it.

Be very gentle on the steering wheel to avoid oversteering and spinning out. You kind of have to tap tap tap it.

That's my issue right there. With the framerate being so low, I kind of panic that my tapping wasn't registered and tapagain, causing the car to oversteer. I really must fight that urge, even if the screen refreshs slowly, the game seems to register every input just fine, you just have to accept the delay.

Was there ever an arcade perfect translation released? I know the stock SNES and Genesis were not technically capable. Maybe with a SuperFX chip or the Virtua Racing chip they could have come up with something close.

Don't underestimate what was possible in 16-bit. Virtua Racing with the SVP chip is better technically than Hard Drivin'; much more stuff beside the road in full polygon glory.

But even without a chip something close might have been possible. Look at F1 here, stock Genesis, no extra chips, and much of the graphics (not everything) is 3D.

Also the Amiga 500 got a pretty good version of it. Not arcade perfect, but smooth, and I believe a better port for the Genesis with smoother visuals than the one eventually released would have been possible.

Hard Drivin' - 2,324

attachicon.gifjoe's hard drivin' - 2,324.png

BONUS: MAME Version

attachicon.gifjoe's hard drivin' bonus - mame.png

Wow! This is hard to steer on a Lynx emulator. I thought MAME would be easier, but not so...couldn't stay in gear and barely could go anywhere. Trying to keep it in drive only resulted in me turning off the track.

The MAME version, it takes awhile to get the car going about a minute or so.

Keep pressing or holding down the Q or A keys and see if that helps.

Hard Drivin' - 2,324

attachicon.gifjoe's hard drivin' - 2,324.png

BONUS: MAME Version

attachicon.gifjoe's hard drivin' bonus - mame.png

Wow! This is hard to steer on a Lynx emulator. I thought MAME would be easier, but not so...couldn't stay in gear and barely could go anywhere. Trying to keep it in drive only resulted in me turning off the track.

My goodness, 2,324 points, did the cow eat your car? :)

I could never get the MAME controls set up correctly to get a game going either. If you go into the setting to try and set up the controls, you will see that they are very complex.

As for the Lynx version, you just have to be very gentle on the steering. Don't hold the steering wheel down for any length of time. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Is there a cow? No, seriously...I could not keep going in a straight line in this game. I kept running off the track and crashing into things.

My goodness, 2,324 points, did the cow eat your car? :)

I could never get the MAME controls set up correctly to get a game going either. If you go into the setting to try and set up the controls, you will see that they are very complex.

As for the Lynx version, you just have to be very gentle on the steering. Don't hold the steering wheel down for any length of time. Tap. Tap. Tap.

I love participating in the HSC for the Lynx. I am playing games that I never gave more than 15 minutes. Now I played Hard Drivin' for a hours and I must say that it is not as bad as I thought.

Making speed will make the framerate appear better. Plus I found that releasing the gaspedal while steering makes the game also more responsive.

Anyway, my score after about 5 laps, then beating the Phantom:

post-27403-0-89660400-1393530635_thumb.jpg

• Like 2