IGNORED

Greetings and how many coders on here?

BrianBeuken

Hi all

just wanted to say hello, I've recently started messing about with the ColecoVision and finding it a lot of fun already, A long long time ago in a galaxy far away I used to do a fair bit of Ti99/4a coding and then a lot of Z80 coding so this has been happy memory overload for me combining two of my 1st loves.

I am not really having any problems getting things going, so am working on a little game project that should be ready in a few months but I am curious to know from people where who've been active on the system what tips and tricks they found on the ColecoVision?

I've set up a Notepad++ -> Tasm -> Colecoem dev chain on my Windows 7 machine, but I wonder if there are any better emulators around?

Brian

Thanks guys BLueMSX certainly does have a much better debugger so I will change my toolchain to use it. I did discover the pause thing after a bit of confusion also the fact I needed the full download to get ColecoVision options.

I am not familiar with the AtariMax Ultimate SD cart though...can you give me a noobs explanation?

Ah thanks, I was not aware such devices were available on retro machines, that could be very useful.

NP, all kinds of multicarts for retro systems, some that you put your roms on, others you get what it comes with.

see this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127752-flashcart-and-multicart-list-all-systems/

Edited by evg2000

One thing that many people don't know about on BlueMSX is the symbol table loading, which I find really helpful. I don't use tasm, so it'll be up to you to create a symbol table in the appropriate format. But when you load up the symbols everything is so much clearer I find.

Ah thanks that is even more useful, would love to find out how I can insert breakpoints too. Tasm seems quite useful though it has a few quirks I've noticed already especially the expression evaluation is quite poor. But its usable and has let me build up a small test program.

So far seems to be fairly easy to get going. Quite enjoying my trip down memory lane.

So back to the original question, how many active coders on here for the CV? Is there any actual product produced here and what has been the response from users?

If you want have an idea of what have been produced on the CV. you can start by looking site like

http://www.collectorvision.com/index2.htm

http://www.teampixelboy.com

http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Colecovision.html

and the list is not exhaustive. I think they are now (or very close) Homebrew published in C.V than commercial games!

And to have a list of homebrew , you can check that website : http://www.colecovision.dk

• Like 1

I've read in other threads that the number of ColecoVision homebrew cartridge releases is getting so large that people need to pick which ones they prefer to buy, instead of getting them all. Your milage may vary, but it would at least not make you feel alone as a developer.. :)

So back to the original question, how many active coders on here for the CV?

The most active coders i think is:

Nanochess

Youki

Kiwi

Nicam_Shilova

Newcoleco

PkK

Crazyboss

bfg.gamepassion

OpCode

Hardhat

Mystery Man

Stephen Seehorn

Martijn Wenting

But there are more out there. :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Yes Blue MSX is looking very neat, I am going to persist with Tasm for a little while, I will probably switch to tniASM at some point though for the symbol tables, I just wrote a bunch of code and don't want to refactor it just yet I've been luck so far that after some initial confusion I don't need the debugger so much now, so can crack on with a working devenv.

nice to see such a thriving community, I will enjoy it here :D

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Yes Blue MSX is looking very neat, I am going to persist with Tasm for a little while, I will probably switch to tniASM at some point though for the symbol tables, I just wrote a bunch of code and don't want to refactor it just yet I've been luck so far that after some initial confusion I don't need the debugger so much now, so can crack on with a working devenv.

nice to see such a thriving community, I will enjoy it here :D

I'm looking foward to see what you are working on! :)

• Like 1