IGNORED

Printing and scrolling--help!

retroclouds

I am new to the TI 99/4A and there are three areas relating to scrolling and printing that mystify me. Can anyone help?

(1) Once I've written and saved (on disk) an entire TI-99/4A program in BASIC, is there any way then to print it from the computer--without entirely redoing it--starting all over again, this time beginning with PRINT #4: "PIO", followed by the whole program rewritten--with each line beginning PRINT #4: "[TEXT]" ? Isn't there some kind of command one can introduce at the end of the original program to print it as is? (I have checked four or five old textbooks for the TI-99/4A and BASIC programming on the TI-99/4A and none of them answers this.)

(2) When a BASIC program I've written is fairly long--too long to appear in its entirety on the monitor screen--it of course scrolls to the end. How can I get it back to the first line, so that I can go through the whole program line-by-line to make sure there are no logic errors or to make corrections/additions? I don't want to remove lines or edit yet--I just want to return to the first entry (line 10) so that I can proceed line-by-line through the entire program. As is, I can only see the final 20 or so lines on screen! I have tried the arrow keys, the back key, etc., with no effect. (Again, none of the books seems to address this.)

(3) Where can I purchase pin-holed paper rolls that will work with an Epson MX-80 printer and with an Apple Imagewriter II printer??

Posted on behalf of @ProfDrJWM

Edited by retroclouds

Posted on behalf of @ProfDrJWM

He can list the program out in blocks (i.e. "LIST 100-150") it works this way for printer or screen.

When he wants to edit a line all he has to do is type the line number and then "UP ARROW" it'll put him in edit mode for that line. Then he can use the arrow keys to go to the section of the line he wants. By holding down the FCTN key and using the down arrow key he can proceed line by line through the program.

He can get the paper << HERE >>

• Like 1

(2) When a BASIC program I've written is fairly long--too long to appear in its entirety on the monitor screen--it of course scrolls to the end. How can I get it back to the first line, so that I can go through the whole program line-by-line to make sure there are no logic errors or to make corrections/additions? I don't want to remove lines or edit yet--I just want to return to the first entry (line 10) so that I can proceed line-by-line through the entire program. As is, I can only see the final 20 or so lines on screen! I have tried the arrow keys, the back key, etc., with no effect. (Again, none of the books seems to address this.)

Let's say you have a big program in the computers memory that starts with line 100.

Type "100" and press "arrow down". Continue to press "arrow down" to advance one line. You can correct the one line you're at (the one with the cursor). If you want to go to the previous line just press "arrow up". Press "enter" to end the displaying/editing of lines. Pressing up, down or enter will save your corrections. Pressing down on the last line or up on the top line will (of course) also end the displaying/editing of line.

:)

@ProfDrJWM,

TI Basic (TIB) has a very simple, one-line editor. Different from modern editors with which you are familiar and what makes this one confusing to newcomers, is that what you see on the screen is not directly editable. The only line you can edit is the line containing the blinking cursor. If that cursor is blinking following the TIB command prompt, '>', the only thing you can do is (1) enter a command, (2) enter a completely new line (starting with the line #) or (3) enter a line # followed by the up- or down-arrow key to edit an existing line (as has been discussed by others above). You can also enter the editor to edit, say line 30, by typing

EDIT 30

To list your complete program to a printer attached to the parallel port (PIO), you would type

LIST "PIO"

To list a subset of your program to the printer, say lines 100 – 300, you would type

LIST "PIO": 100-300

The PRINT command/statement is strictly for output of values and strings from your program, not the program itself.

...lee