gameofyou

Retro Gamer Magazine - Activision

I don't know if anyone here reads the magazine Retro Gamer, but the most recent issue (124) has a pretty lengthy article about Activision. It specifically covers their work on the 2600, and has an interesting interview with David Crane. They go thru each game Activision made for the 2600 (I think it was 40 or so), and have a small write-up on most of them. It is a pretty interesting 10-page feature, and I ended up picking up a few 2600 games because of it.

• Like 1

Glad you liked the article. I actually did play every single game and wrote pieces on all of them, but we had to cut 15 due to space :(

Are the ones that didn't make the cut available somewhere?

If I may ask, what 15 were excluded?

Listed under ''And the rest...'', page 42

Fishing Derby

Freeway

Ghostbusters

Bridge

Ice Hockey

Oink

Rampage

River Raid II

Robot Tank

Skiing

Kung Fu Master

Laser Blast

Sky jinks

Spider Fighter

Tennis

Edited by high voltage

Thanks. Just curious. Haven't received that issue yet.

Thought maybe Mr. Crane might have some info on the "unknown prototypes".

Sounds like a pretty cool magazine. Does it just cover retro games released back in the day or some of the new home brews?

I've been reading this cover to cover every chance I have to pick up a copy. It is an outstanding mag chock full of great articles. I haven't gotten around to the Activision article you mentioned, but I am looking forward to the Cinemaware article I noticed in the one I just picked up a few days ago.

I was initially skeptical about RG (£5 is a lot to pay for a few sheets of glossy paper), but I was finally sold on it by the Game Gear collectors guide in #98 and since then the magazine has been an indispensible resource to me.

I also find the following extras very helpful and informative:

C64/Spectrum 30th Anniversary Book

Atari 40th Anniversary Book

Mega Drive/SNES Book

Videogames Hardware Handbook

For those who have a bit of catching up to do or want to downsize the amount of magazines they have, there are periodic collection books that feature the best articles from the previous year (there are currently 7 available).

Edited by English Invader
  • Like 1

I think it was nine (!) years ago now that I wrote the previous Activision article, but that was a general history on the company, and not just the beginnings.

Yes, a great article- but I disagree that "Double Dragon is a terrible port". I like this game a lot. And "Frostbite" is overrated...